Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX2Forty View Post
He said it gas was low and the light was on but he didn't think it had been on long enough to run out. That said, he also said he didn't know what running out of gas felt like because he never has. Oh to be that young!
He said he lost a lot of power and went in to limp mode and it had the StabiliTrak light on when I showed up but I figured that was from it running out of gas?
What is the best way to check the starter? It has 90,000miles on it and the timing chain replacement has been performed.
Thanks
My Father would have made me walk home to teach me to never run the car out of gas again. Growing up we had "The Half Tank" rule in our house. As soon as you gas gauge hit half tank you filled it up. If Dad got in your car and the tank was below half, you lost your driving privledges for a week.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #16
MX2Forty

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Pulled the intake and valve cover on the driver's side. Worst fears, chain is busted. Any advice. Probably 3000 miles on brand new Cloyes kit.
MX2Forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
how many miles does the engine have on it in total?

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
maybe you can pull another LLT from another camaro or a cts and save yourself some time and money. They cost like $500 at any salvage yards her in SoCal. ($250 on holiday sales)

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #19
MX2Forty

It just rolled 90,000. That thing has been perfect since the Cloyes kit install. I can't figure out what could have happened?
Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #20
JJPlace1

Drives: 2010 2LT Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
maybe you can pull another LLT from another camaro or a cts and save yourself some time and money. They cost like $500 at any salvage yards her in SoCal. ($250 on holiday sales)
If it did jump timing , this is an interference engine and the pistons did make contact with the valves . Another engine would be the easiest solution .

1970 Impala 2D 350/300
1972 Buick GS 350
1967 Pontiac Firebird 326
1969 Chevelle SS 396/375 I really miss this one
1966 Chevelle SS 396/350
1978 Plymouth Fury 440
1982 VW Scirocco ( Got married )
1987 VW Scirocco
1992 Ford Taurus V6
1996 Dodge Intrepid
2002 Dodge Intrepid
2002 Mercedes ML500
2010 Camaro 2LT
JJPlace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #21
MX2Forty

Update:
Pulled timing cover off again. Nothing I can see that went wrong other than the snapped chain and a little plastic shrapnel off one of the guides. Used a bore scope and looked at each cylinder and valves on drivers side bank. Couldn't see any witness marks which made me hopeful but the true test would be a leak down test. Just finished the leak down test and luckily all three of the cylinders on the drivers side test fine. No bent valves!
I will try to get the chain back to Cloyes so they can see if it was just defective? I can't see anything else that went wrong.
I will update when I know more.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #22
MX2Forty

Just wanted to give everyone the final update:
Ok, if you have followed this then you know we "thought" we ran out of gas. It was really a timing chain. I fixed that and put it all back together but we still couldn't get it to start. The problem was the starter was done after trying to start the car when it "ran out of gas". We took the starter off and used a jumper pack and jumper wire to test it. It worked but after reinstalling it we discovered that the amp draw was popping the fuse on the ecm. That was evidently causing no start and very little communication with the OBDII port. The broken chain was wedged in a way that it kept the pistons and valves from making contact. After we got the starter on we did a fuel induction service and she is purring now
Old 08-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #23
Teddydog

Drives: ABM 2LT M6 RS
Glad you got it fixed. Please do report back what the timing chain vendor says about it. They will probably blame the installation, especially if you did it yourself.

Are you a mechanic by trade? How difficult was the timing chain install? My car has 123k miles now and I'm starting to be concerned about that repair.

Rob
Teddydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #24
MX2Forty

Rob, been a few days since I have been on.
The vendor stood behind the chain/kit and couldn't have been any better about support. I have a feeling if I would have had bent valves and I had done it myself, I would have had a harder time. Just a guess though.
I am not a mechanic by trade but have been wrenching on dirt bikes/cars/tractors for 30+ years. I wouldn't attempt anything I thought I couldn't. It wasn't amazingly complicated, just time-consuming.
-a cordless impact is nice to have.
-a cordless ratchet is also nice.
-get the big socket meant for the bottom pulley bolt. It is very thick and you probably need that rigidity to zip it off easily.
-there are a ton of bolts on the timing cover. Number them and it makes reassembly easier.
- I replaced all the Camshaft Actuator Solenoid Valves.
-I was able to get the bolt from the timing cover by the power steering pump off barely. When I put it back on I ground the shoulder down on the bolt just slightly to make it easier. It's a very tight fit but makes it easier if you don't have to mess with moving the pump out of the way.
-Timing was pretty straight forward. Follow the Cloyes video and others advice on here.
-My iPhone came in handy to take pictures so I could make sure the links were in the right spot. Tough to get your head in the right position.
-When you put the valve covers back on watch out. Your new seals around spark plug tubes can catch on the tubes if you aren't careful.
-Almost forgot, get the cheap three-jaw puller from harbor freight. The recess on the back of the pulley is very thin. Pullers with thicker fingers don't work.
I think anyone moderately competent can handle it. If you have a weekend split the job in half for each day and you should be good.