Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-14-2022, 06:45 AM   #1
Leonhardt

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LT
Loud humming from rear of car?

It's a 2011 V6 auto

I get a loud humming noise coming from the rear at around 44mph to 48mph, and then it disappears as I go either faster or slower than those speeds. It's difficult to tell exactly where it is coming from given I'm the only person who drives it. If I even lightly touch the gas, so lightly that the car doesn't really gain any speed, the hum kicks in until I let off.

Ive read a few other threads with descriptions similar to this but all with different variables like speeds and such, and thought to change my rear diff fluid, but I had just changed it not long ago, so the fluid came out perfectly clean. I put in mobile one 75 90, which prior I used Valvoleen due to it coming in that squeeze bag which made it easier to fill. It's still making the noise even with the fluid change and at this point I'm wondering if it could be something else? Maybe the muffler, or the fuel filter? From my point of hearing while driving it does sound like it's coming from near the gas tank but as I said I am only hearing it in that general direction from the rear.

I will try to get the sound on video after work today if I can.
Leonhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #2
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
At that MPH it sounds more like a torque converter. My '12 did that and was replaced under warranty. What really fixed it tho is the correct additives in the trans fluid and the factory GM stuff wasn't it.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #3
Leonhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
At that MPH it sounds more like a torque converter. My '12 did that and was replaced under warranty. What really fixed it tho is the correct additives in the trans fluid and the factory GM stuff wasn't it.
So do you think changing the transmission fluid would help then? And do you know what the additive I would need is?
Old 09-14-2022, 03:39 PM   #4
xstuntman

If it's actually TCC shudder then Mobil 1 Synthetic LV HP is what Chevrolet is currently replacing it with.

It sure sounds like yours has the same symptoms mine had. Moaned liked a virgin around 42mph to 47mph range.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:23 AM   #5
Leonhardt

https://youtu.be/WsfKNThXN1U

Here is a video of the sound, you can hear it the most at around the 35 and 47 second marks.

I will look into changing the transmission fluid then. Should I just drop the whole pan and also change out the filter as well?
Old 09-15-2022, 07:36 AM   #6
xstuntman

Be a really good time to add a drain plug to the pan while your at it.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:48 AM   #7
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhardt View Post
https://youtu.be/WsfKNThXN1U

Here is a video of the sound, you can hear it the most at around the 35 and 47 second marks.

I will look into changing the transmission fluid then. Should I just drop the whole pan and also change out the filter as well?
That's a bearing noise....carrier, pinion, or even possibly a hub bearing. What I can tell you for sure is that it isn't transmission related. And this: Mobil 1 Synthetic LV HP is not the correct fluid for your transmission. That's for the 8 speed. Yours takes Dexron VI fluid.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:17 PM   #8
xstuntman

If you wanna test it, put the trans in manual then tap upshift four times on the steering column shifter. That will limit it to fourth gear instead of sixth, then get it up to speed. If it doesn't moan then you know.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:01 PM   #9
Leonhardt

It still makes the noise when I tap it into 4th.

Even if i just tap the pedal very lightly the hum kicks on then fades off whether the car speeds up from the gas or not, so long as I'm in that speed range, so hub bearing would be odd. Carrier or pinion maybe?

Last edited by Leonhardt; 09-15-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #10
xstuntman

I think I would be looking at the driveshaft center support bearing next.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:49 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
If it's a wheel bearing, you should notice a change in the sound as you turn right or left.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote