Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
robbiegordon
Robert

Drives: 2011 Summit White SS LS3
Turbonetics 76mm repair or replacment

Hey guys,
I unfortunately had a filter come a part on me and damage the compressor wheel on my turbo. I'm on the fence whether to repair or replace it .

Problem is I can not get a hold of turbonetics. After multiple phone calls and a few weeks of waiting on emails, I'm hesitant to even order the stage 2 from them as a replacment at this point.

Does anyone have any advice as to what might be a good comparable replacment for me from another turbo manufacturer? Or a place that could rebuild it in the southern California area? I'd like to keep the turbonetics kit, as I don't feel like doing a full kit replacment .

I have a mildly upgraded fuel set up ID850s and a Zl1 pump and tsp cam 227/230 .629”/.615” 114 LSA +3 advance.

Thanks for any help and advice !
Attached Images

robbiegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
bayarea408

Drives: T
upgrade to a Precision 76/75 CEA, either a gen 1 or a gen 2 journal works nice. Both will be an upgrade over that turbonetics unit. The PTE turbo housing is milled away for more flow. It wont be a huge turbo but size for size it will make more power. My journal gen 1 has been going since i got the kit several years ago.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
robbiegordon
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
upgrade to a Precision 76/75 CEA, either a gen 1 or a gen 2 journal works nice. Both will be an upgrade over that turbonetics unit. The PTE turbo housing is milled away for more flow. It wont be a huge turbo but size for size it will make more power. My journal gen 1 has been going since i got the kit several years ago.
Thank you for the info, I'll look into them .
Old 05-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:

I'll second the choice for the Precision Turbo.... I run two of the 76/75 CEA Turbos with the ceramic ball bearing center section.....Incredibly efficient....
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
robbiegordon
Robert

Thanks for the help , either of these ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptu-2207012229

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptu-22207216229
Turbonetics T76 10psi with aem truboost controller, 231/239 115 LSA Comp Cam, adm fpcm, zl1 pump, Tr7ix plugs, 3.91/1LE Gears,Melling Oil pump, custom intake, catless midpipes, powerbond 25% underdrive, PFADT Aluminum subframe bushings, 1.5 inch drop, PFADT sway bars, BMR; sub frame connectors ,Trailing arms, Toe Rods, strut tower brace and rear diff bushings, Hurst short throw shifter and line lock,dyno #s TBD, , tuned by Pat G tuning
Old 05-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiegordon View Post
Thanks for the help , either of these ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptu-22207216229

This is the turbo/s I run.... We push them pretty hard....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #7
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I had a Turbonetics several years ago and had trouble getting a response too. I ended up selling it because the turbine wheel was too small and their "ball bearing" turbos are really hybrid journal/ball bearing.

I run the 76/75 CompTurbo oilless 3.0 and it does pretty well, highly efficient and no oiling issues. It is also water cooled like my Turbonetics was, plus triple ceramic ball bearing and billet wheel. Even with a stock cam, a 76/75 is a bit small on the compressor side and will limit your top end power in a single turbo configuration. I run the 1.15 AR compressor housing to help alleviate some of the back pressure. When I got the turbo, it was a bit of a compromise because anything bigger would have required modifying the piping. When I switched from the 75/68 to the 76/75 my peak hp moved from 5000 rpm to 5900 rpm. With the cam I am running, it should produce more power over 6k, so my guess is the 75mm turbine is the choke point.

CompTurbo just came out with a 78/80 that is the same physical size (including down pipe connection) as the 76/75. I am thinking of going to it in the future just for the bigger turbine wheel, or just get another kit that will allow for a larger turbo frame. However, it's hard to justify that kind of expense for an extra 50hp when there is limited street traction as it is.

Can't help you with a shop in SoCal, but there must be tons of them. There is a good place in Miami that will do it by mail, but that is a long way to ship a turbo for work.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 05-10-2021 at 07:46 AM.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
bayarea408

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I had a Turbonetics several years ago and had trouble getting a response too. I ended up selling it because the turbine wheel was too small and their "ball bearing" turbos are really hybrid journal/ball bearing.

I run the 76/75 CompTurbo oilless 3.0 and it does pretty well, highly efficient and no oiling issues. It is also water cooled like my Turbonetics was, plus triple ceramic ball bearing and billet wheel. Even with a stock cam, a 76/75 is a bit small on the compressor side and will limit your top end power in a single turbo configuration. I run the 1.15 AR compressor housing to help alleviate some of the back pressure. When I got the turbo, it was a bit of a compromise because anything bigger would have required modifying the piping. When I switched from the 75/68 to the 76/75 my peak hp moved from 5000 rpm to 5900 rpm. With the cam I am running, it should produce more power over 6k, so my guess is the 75mm turbine is the choke point.

CompTurbo just came out with a 78/80 that is the same physical size (including down pipe connection) as the 76/75. I am thinking of going to it in the future just for the bigger turbine wheel, or just get another kit that will allow for a larger turbo frame. However, it's hard to justify that kind of expense for an extra 50hp when there is limited street traction as it is.

Can't help you with a shop in SoCal, but there must be tons of them. There is a good place in Miami that will do it by mail, but that is a long way to ship a turbo for work.
How many miles have you clocked on the oiless unit and how often does it need to be regreased?
Old 05-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
robbiegordon
Robert

Thanks for all the info so far . It's been super helpful. I'm still researching and comparing all my options. The 78/80 Comp turbo sounds interesting as well. I wasn't going to go oiless since I already have the feed and drain set up, and I've heard mixed things about oiless.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
Quote:
How many miles have you clocked on the oiless unit and how often does it need to be regreased?
I'm running a pair of the Comp oil less 6262 (with liquid cooled center section) on my Huron Speed twin kit. Coming up on three thousand miles since the install which is when Comp says they need to be greased. You have to use their proprietary grease ($$$) and seven pumps of grease every three thousand miles. Not having the engine oil through the turbos is a plus for me, although some would disagree. I run Amsoil Signature 5W-30 and change it once a year, since I don't put a ton of miles on the car.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:32 AM   #11
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Maybe 5k, but that includes a couple HPDE events and several trips to the drag strip. I don't get to drive it much working from home.

You put 7 squirts in every oil change, i.e. 3k miles.

The grease is crazy expensive. List is $150 for a 3oz tube, but they sold it to me for half that when I bought the turbo. The little 3oz tube will last a long time. I bought a specific grease gun for it since it was going to be years before I used it up.

I went oilless because I didn't like the idea of lubricating with a pin hole restrictor fitting to keep it from pushing oil into the exhaust. On some twin kits, they would eliminate the need for a scavenge pump. They offer a rebuild service at 50-60k, but a new CHRA is only about 400.

Now that I think about it, you might be able to get a new CHRA for your Tnetics if you are looking for the lowest spend.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #12
robbiegordon
Robert

Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up ordering the precision turbo 76/75 cea gen 2. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Also for the record, I had ordered the turbonetics stage 2 called, emailed , multplie times . Never got a response . Canceled the order and went with the precision.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #13
bayarea408

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiegordon View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up ordering the precision turbo 76/75 cea gen 2. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Also for the record, I had ordered the turbonetics stage 2 called, emailed , multplie times . Never got a response . Canceled the order and went with the precision.
my old PTE gen 1 journal SMACKS, i can only imagine what an upgraded gen 2 does
Old 05-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #14
robbiegordon
Robert

Quote:
my old PTE gen 1 journal SMACKS, i can only imagine what an upgraded gen 2 does
I'm excited. Should be here in a few days .

What do you guys think about the cold side plumbing ... I know some metal was taken out of the compressor blades . I pulled the intake off the intake manifold and didn't see any metal shavings . Do you think I need to worry about what might be in the intercooler, as far as metal contamination? If so is there anything I can do about it?