Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
usmc-ashton

Drives: 2010 camaro v6 black, bbk intake
Question headlight noise

hey guys, whenever i turn on my car or unlock it and the headlights turn on, itll make a 3 short squeaking sounds and then itll stop not sure if its the ballast or the auctual headlight. maybe even the fuze, thanks guys happy holidays
usmc-ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
BreedsAS

Drives: 16 Camaro: Mosaic/2SS/A8/NPP/Custom
I don't know if this will help, but I have the RS package and the other day when it was about 25 degrees F outside.
I noticed when I turned on/off my flash function on the headlights (high beams), there would be a moan sound. I am guessing it was from the bulb moving upward (as it does when the high beams are activated) or it was the ballast.
Either way, it was definitely temperature related as I have not heard it since.

'16 Chevy Camaro 2SS Auto - Mosaic Black l Kalahari Interior l NPP l Nav l Sunroof.
Prismatic 22" concave Koko Wheels l Lexani Tires l GM Splitter l ACS Rockers l ACS Spoiler l BMR Drop l Limo tint l Smoked Lighting l Debadged l LEDs l WeatherTech l More to come...
YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq4...9-q-ccCuqVONUw
BreedsAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
usmc-ashton

it could be because here in NY the high and lows are in the 15's to the 25's...thanks!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreedsAS View Post
I don't know if this will help, but I have the RS package and the other day when it was about 25 degrees F outside.
I noticed when I turned on/off my flash function on the headlights (high beams), there would be a moan sound. I am guessing it was from the bulb moving upward (as it does when the high beams are activated) or it was the ballast.

I noticed this a few weeks ago but I couldn't think of a way to describe it here that would be of any help. Mine is not temperature related. It does it at all times.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
My HIDs make an audible noise when i switch them from high beams to low beams.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Paint It Black

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
My HIDs make an audible noise when i switch them from high beams to low beams.
If you can hear your headlights, you need an aftermarket exhaust!!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc-ashton View Post
hey guys, whenever i turn on my car or unlock it and the headlights turn on, itll make a 3 short squeaking sounds and then itll stop not sure if its the ballast or the auctual headlight. maybe even the fuze, thanks guys happy holidays
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreedsAS View Post
Just some information, the bulb does not move when you put your highbeams on with the HID's. There is a metal "flap" that is in the closed or up position that gives you the nice cut off line when you have your lows on. When you put on your high beams, the flap moves out of the way so that there is no more "cutoff" and it lets more light out on the road.

Any sounds coming from the headlights is probably related to the motor/solenoids inside the headlights that move the flap up and down. You can always take it to the dealership and have them look at it (assuming you still have warranty) otherwise there is not much that can be done about it because they are located inside the headlight and unless you are willing to take them apart and put them back together....you will have to buy a new headlight. Warranty is definitely your friend because the HID headlights are not cheap!

Here is a good video that explains it also:
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Black View Post
I only hear it when I am not moving, otherwise the road noise silences it out. But I guess you're gonna tell me if I can hear road noise, I need an aftermarket exhaust... right? I haven't heard of too many success stories of aftermarket exhausts on a v6 without it sounding like its whining too much. But I guess I haven't really looked either.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Paint It Black

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Oops - I hadn't realized you were V6 powered - disregard the exhaust comment then. But I learned from this - I never realized how these headlights worked regarding low/high beams. I've only driven mine once at night, and I wasn't really listening for headlight noise anyhow....
Old 12-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Kleeeb

Quote:
Oops - I hadn't realized you were V6 powered - disregard the exhaust comment then. But I learned from this - I never realized how these headlights worked regarding low/high beams. I've only driven mine once at night, and I wasn't really listening for headlight noise anyhow....
Yeah! Go out one night and just turn on your car (I don't know if you even have to start it, but if you do start it and then cut it off) and switch back and forth from your hi-low beams. You will hear almost like a "CLUNK". Its audible to people outside the vehicle too.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
Yeah! Go out one night and just turn on your car (I don't know if you even have to start it, but if you do start it and then cut it off) and switch back and forth from your hi-low beams. You will hear almost like a "CLUNK". Its audible to people outside the vehicle too.
I like to describe it as more of a very dull "click thump".
Old 12-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
usmc-ashton

problem solved idk what it was i removed the light and put it back in and it hasnt made the noise...weird lol, and my car is plenty loud ask my pissed neighbors lol
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
Sam.Abuzaid

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro LS aqua blue
Quote:
Sam.Abuzaid is offline   Reply With Quote