Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #379
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
unfortunately, the LS9 seems to be an expensive option. Not sure exactly but that engine sells for $20K+++ without accessories.

Now, a fully forged LS3/LSA would be more than capable of dealing with power output of the 5.4/5.8 DOHC engine. On top of that, we all know what heads/cam do on these engines. All they need is a forged piston and a clutch/hydraulic system to hold it all together and you should have a fun car. The weight is always going to be an "issue" so you have to make more power to hang.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #380
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Throttle back?? Ok........

The only way they can make a ZL1 compete is by forging the pistons on the LSA and add the LS9's 2.3 supercharger. They still have to produce it on an assembly line to keep it at a "camaro" price point.

You don't take well to disagreements do you??
And you don't know me very well.

I left out price for a reason... I agree it's not feasible. it is too expensive...

All of the above. you and I are not disagreeing... we are in fact agreeing..

I'm just reassured that there is more than enough power to be had from the current LS line of motors that we can equal what Ford is doing...

Obviously Ford had decided to pass on all the extra stuff that GM has engineered into the ZL1 in favor of spending that money on HP...

GM thinks the car should be a complete package... But... it they want to they can compete on the HP level also. If they did that, to keep the price competitive, they'd have to make similar concessions to what Ford has chosen to make...

right?

Not trying to pick a fight... I never said they should or would.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #381
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Lets see the Shelby lap the ring and hold the ground! For some reason I'm thinking getting it to hook up is going to be the issue...
Old 11-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #382
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post

I left out price for a reason... I agree it's not feasible. it is too expensive...

I'm just reassured that there is more than enough power to be had from the current LS line of motors that we can equal what Ford is doing...

Obviously Ford had decided to pass on all the extra stuff that GM has engineered into the ZL1 in favor of spending that money on HP...

GM thinks the car should be a complete package... But... it they want to they can compete on the HP level also. If they did that, to keep the price competitive, they'd have to make similar concessions to what Ford has chosen to make...

right?

Yes I agree with you.

One of the biggest down falls of the LS engines is the pistons and rods. Ford has got it right since the 03 cobra with forged internals. GM will need to adopt a forged rotating assembly in order to turn up the wick on the LSA.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #383
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Lets see the Shelby lap the ring and hold the ground! For some reason I'm thinking getting it to hook up is going to be the issue...

Here are my thoughts.

Six hundred and fifty horsepower. Six hundred pound-feet of torque. Over 200 miles per hour. With specs like these, you don't need long-form introductions. This is the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500, and all we can say is, the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 has officially been put on notice.

The heart of the new Ford stunner is a 5.8-liter, aluminum-block V8, complete with a larger, more efficient supercharger. Nearly the entire powertrain has been upgraded for 2013, including a new cross-drilled block and heads, updated camshaft profiles, a carbon fiber driveshaft and upgraded clutch, transmission and axle. The cooling system has also been upgraded, and the new six-speed manual transmission now has a final drive ratio of 3.31-to-1 – optimized to handle the massive amounts of torque put down by the new engine.

Further enhancements can be had in the GT500 Performance Pack, which incorporates SVT-designed Blistein electronic adjustable dampers with 'normal' and 'sport' modes and a Torsen limited-slip differential. What's more, the Track Package adds an external engine oil cooler, rear differential cooler and transmission cooler. Like the current GT500, 19-inch wheels are standard up front (20-inch rollers are found out back) and a Brembo braking system keeps everything in check when its time to control all that force. The whole package weighs in at just 3,850 pounds – 270 less than the Camaro ZL1 – and Ford says it will not be subject to the dreaded Gas Guzzler Tax.

Visually, not too much has changed from the current GT500, save some minor aerodynamic tweaks like an ever-so-slightly revised front fascia with new air splitters, as well as a minimally tweaked rear end. Inside, it's the same levels of comfort and refinement that you'll find in the rest of the Mustang lineup, albeit with new Recaro front buckets.

I also read they have 6 Piston Brembos up front, and upgraded the rear brakes as well.

I think this car will handle very well for what it is, and Ford is still testing the car @ the Ring.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #384
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Yes I agree with you.

One of the biggest down falls of the LS engines is the pistons and rods. Ford has got it right since the 03 cobra with forged internals. GM will need to adopt a forged rotating assembly in order to turn up the wick on the LSA.
That was my biggest complaint when they announced the LSA would be the power plant. we all knew then that Fords proven forged rotating assembly was going to be able to produce more than the LSA would.

Maybe Chevy has decided to let the HP king of North America be the ZR1, and let the ZL1 be the BMW, Mercedies Killer... or something like that... A more complete engineered car to attack the more plush coupes and sedans at that 60K price point???

Just thinking out loud...
Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #385
Bobtorious

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2018 Durango SRT
Send a message via ICQ to Bobtorious
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordplay View Post
in truth.. we all win.. you saddle up your ZL1, I'll saddle up the gt 500 and we both go make a mess of the GTR, the M5, and whatever silly little porsche and ferrari.. (ok some ferraris) and any lambo that dare question the american automotive spirit... oh europe we are coming.. and bringing the biggest guns america has..
I like your enthusiasm! But if you think the ZL1 or the GT500 are going to be walking away from a GTR or the likes of other supercars, I'll have what your having
Old 11-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #386
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post

right?

this ^
Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #387
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
Nobody's ass has been handed to anybody! Ford hands Motor Trend some hand built non-production Mustangs and throws out some huge horsepower numbers and suddenly my ass has been handed to me and GM has dropped the ball? Wha? If you want a Ford, go buy one. I am sure they will be happy to have your business.

We have seen the current GT500 have traction issues...so adding more horsepower and torque is going to solve that? NO. Transmission issue?...more torque is usually NOT a good idea. They changed some trim and the taillights, slapped in a bigger engine with a bigger blower, and some minor tweaks and suddenly all the problems they have been having magically fade away? No.

When Ford posts a Nurburgring time faster than the ZL1, then they have something to crow about. When Ford actually BEATS a ZL1, then they have something to shout about. ONLY after the two cars face off will we know who's ass gets handed to whom. Right now all we have is fanboy speculation.
AMEN....

I LOL at everyone here who saw "650 HP Mustang" and suddenly decided to jump on the bandwagon or just assumes that the ZL1 just got its ass handed to it.

Thus far, I've only read that the Mustang is using higher gearing to control wheel spin....well I'm sorry I don't think that is enough to keep her from having the same wheel spinning issues as before.

Wait and see and HAVE SOME FAITH
Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #388
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
This is going to sound petty, and I am not trying to be...but could structural lightening by Ford be the reason they dropped a star in the crash testing? Sure, it's lighter, but at what cost?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #389
HaubSS

Drives: '11 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Well they had to do something. They knew 550hp wouldn't cut it against the ZL1. I mean my buddy has a '11 GT500 and the best he can put on me is about half a car, maybe a full car length. And I've only got 412hp to his 499hp. We dyno'd same dyno, same day.
BMR Stage 3 suspension
MRR 288 - 20x10(+35), 20x11(+43)
Old 11-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #390
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Don't let the magazines get to you... at this point they have even less clue than we do about what these cars can do...

They are just trying to get everyone fired up to get hits on their website.

Right now.. ZL1 is king... when the new GT500 comes out... a new hand is dealt and we play again...

Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #391
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
GT500 hp more than a ZR1, dang...but the downside is that it looks a like the cheaper V6 model..definitely a 'sleeper'
Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #392
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaubSS View Post
Well they had to do something. They knew 550hp wouldn't cut it against the ZL1. I mean my buddy has a '11 GT500 and the best he can put on me is about half a car, maybe a full car length. And I've only got 412hp to his 499hp. We dyno'd same dyno, same day.

Interesting, wonder if this means the Zl1 and GT500 will be closer than everyone is saying

Closed Thread