Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
ir0nman11

Drives: Camaro LS
What material are OEM front fenders made of?

As the title says: fiberglass, steel, or some other metal?
ir0nman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Steel i believe, Definitely not fiberglass or any other composite. Why do you ask?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Steel. Hood is aluminum.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
GM1240365 shows them as being made of steel. Been awhile since I've gone knocking around my body panels but I'm 99% sure they are some sort of metal, wouldn't think they're aluminum though so I'd say some variation of steel is correct.

LS3 Conversion | Comp Cam Custom Grind | Mast Heads | Comp Cam Push Rods | LS7 Timing Chain | 180 Thermostat | Ported Intake | Ported TB | SLP UDP | K & N CAI | Custom 3800 Stall Converter | Aluminum 1 Piece Driveshaft | Kooks 1 7/8" LTH | High Flow Cats | ARH 3" Exhaust | ARH Mufflers | Eibach Lowering Springs | BMR Floor Brace Subframe Connectors with Tunnel Brace | BMR Moly Lower Rear Control Arms | Oracle LED Halo Kit
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
ir0nman11

Thank you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnedRubber View Post
Steel i believe, Definitely not fiberglass or any other composite. Why do you ask?
I got a dent on my fender while I was exiting a tight spot, body shops recommended a complete replacement but as usual prices are outrageous. I found some OEM capa certified steel fenders brand new online for around $100, but for some reason it was stuck in my head that body parts were usually made of fiberglass. Oh well.. the more you know
Old 01-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
91Zman

Drives: '13 1SS/RS IOM white stripes
some sort of steel that doesn't rust...lol been having a ding w/scratch(down to the metal) for a year and hasn't rusted yet.
91Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nman11 View Post
Thank you all.

I got a dent on my fender while I was exiting a tight spot, body shops recommended a complete replacement but as usual prices are outrageous. I found some OEM capa certified steel fenders brand new online for around $100, but for some reason it was stuck in my head that body parts were usually made of fiberglass. Oh well.. the more you know
Go to Wal-Mart. They can dent your other fender so they match.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nman11 View Post
Thank you all.

Try a paint less dent removal place if the paint wasn't removed. The body shop wants to make money on replacing a fender. And id get a second opinion. Maybe a more skilled body man can repair the existing one.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #9
ir0nman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnedRubber View Post
Try a paint less dent removal place if the paint wasn't removed. The body shop wants to make money on replacing a fender. And id get a second opinion. Maybe a more skilled body man can repair the existing one.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did take the car to two different PDR shops, but both of their experts got to the same conclusion that a replacement with a paintjob would probably be cheaper, and results with PDR would not be that good at the end due to the area of the dent. Paint got messed up too. A collision shop offered an option with bondo, but I find that kind of tacky, and due to the area the damage happened i don't think it would be a good idea.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
2013 Orange SS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS A6
Defiantly fender replace.

1966 Chevelle Malibu, 355, 4-Speed
2013 Orange SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #11
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Now seeing the pictures I would agree with a fender replacement. I would suggest don't cheap out and buy a poorly made replacement. Spend the extra money if you can to have it done right. Sorry to see this happened to you, best of luck with the repair! Only other thing i would suggest is see if you can find a car that had a rear collision and has a good front fender you could swap out yourself.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #12
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Go to Wal-Mart. They can dent your other fender so they match.

That's so true!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #13
69 SS 350 5 Speed

Drives: 69 SS Camaro 2019 Corvette GS Vert.
Please go with a GM replacement fender. The aftermarket reproduction pieces are not the same fit and finish. Most of them are stamped in China. The extra money you spend on it now will save you in the long run.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Taking the fender off and banging out the dent with good auto body tools is what a good shop does and Bondo and fillers have always been on cars no matter what since their invention They could fix that fender with minimal bondo its not like its going to be a inch thick more like a 32nd if the use the body tools right it may be not even necessary with being able to sand out the primer.....

Old motor head here done lots of body work.... No big deal or buy a new fender.... your hit on a crease is the most disturbing parts but I think its a mild line enough to work out damn near perfect with just a hammer and dolly its steel.......