Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Question OIL IN MY INTAKE TUBE.

Hey guys, not sure what's going on here after my LOD intake install, but I took my air filter off yesterday evening to clean and re oil it and notice a LOT of oil inside the bottom of my intake tube running down to my filter! I have had an RX catch can installed since 2012 and have never had any oil in my intake or the tube since it was installed. Not sure how they had it set up before the LOD intake, but now I have oil inside. They have the port on the driver side valve cover capped, and it wasn't before, and the port on the passenger valve cover goes to my intake tube as it was before, and the port on the right side of the catch can they have connected to the port on the front of the valley cover, the left port on the catch can looks like it goes around to the back of the manifold. So I am thinking the one connected to the back of the intake manifold is sucking oil out of the catch can, if that is possible. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I said, this has never been an issue til now. Thanks guys..
Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I had my intake tube off several times for various reasons along the way. It always had oil in it. When I took my stock intake off... it had a film of oil as did the valves when I took the heads off.

I bought a catch can and ran lines from both valve covers to the can. I plugged the valley cover port and the intake tube... so that crap doesn't get sucked back in there.

I drained the can today... a couple table spoons of oily water/ condensation... definitely glad its not going back into the motor.
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Cappuccino anyone? I have the Norris catch can and this what it filters out over a 2 week period!!!
Attached Images

Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
Clarkstar

I don't remember the manufacturer of mine, but its baffled and has a breather. I welded 12an fittings on both valve covers for maximum evacuation.
Attached Images

2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
I had my intake tube off several times for various reasons along the way. It always had oil in it. When I took my stock intake off... it had a film of oil as did the valves when I took the heads off.

I bought a catch can and ran lines from both valve covers to the can. I plugged the valley cover port and the intake tube... so that crap doesn't get sucked back in there.

I drained the can today... a couple table spoons of oily water/ condensation... definitely glad its not going back into the motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
I don't remember the manufacturer of mine, but its baffled and has a breather. I welded 12an fittings on both valve covers for maximum evacuation.
It appears that you just vent to air. I'm not seeing how your getting any fresh air, metered or not, to circulate through your engine/crank for pcv. Is there a 3rd fitting on the catch can that is routed somewhere?
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Hey guys, not sure what's going on here after my LOD intake install, but I took my air filter off yesterday evening to clean and re oil it and notice a LOT of oil inside the bottom of my intake tube running down to my filter! I have had an RX catch can installed since 2012 and have never had any oil in my intake or the tube since it was installed. Not sure how they had it set up before the LOD intake, but now I have oil inside. They have the port on the driver side valve cover capped, and it wasn't before, and the port on the passenger valve cover goes to my intake tube as it was before, and the port on the right side of the catch can they have connected to the port on the front of the valley cover, the left port on the catch can looks like it goes around to the back of the manifold. So I am thinking the one connected to the back of the intake manifold is sucking oil out of the catch can, if that is possible. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I said, this has never been an issue til now. Thanks guys..
Could be getting oil regurgitating/back feeding into the intake tube from the valve cover line. Normally this is the fresh metered air side that feeds air to engine/crank through the valve cover. The line connected at the back of the intake pulls the air through the engine/crank. The inline catch can is to capture any oil or water vapor. Under light driving conditions, the vacuum in your intake will pull the air. Due to the pressure difference from 1 side of the throttle body to the other. Under wot, things change, of course. If your getting oil in your intake tube, on the "front" side of the throttle body, then I'd say it is back feeding under wot. If not, and only in your intake, the location of the fitting and greater velocity/vacuum of the intake is pulling it through the catch can. A catch can could be added in the clean side line between the valve cover and intake tube.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock

Last edited by Badbubba; 03-18-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
OP, make sure you have vacuum on the line 'from the back of the intake manifold' that goes to your CC. I don't see how an IM change could make your crank case over pressurize to make the pcv system flow backwards if it wasn't doing it before.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
OP, make sure you have vacuum on the line 'from the back of the intake manifold' that goes to your CC. I don't see how an IM change could make your crank case over pressurize to make the pcv system flow backwards if it wasn't doing it before.
Different routing from stock as well. Driver's side valve cover is stated as capped. I believe this is where the original dirty air came from for the L99. L99 and LS3 pcv differ. Iirc, valve cover has baffling to help drop out any oil from the dirty side. Was stated the dirty side is connected to the valley pan. Maybe valley pan had a cap on it prior and is now being used? Or it was originally used on the L99 as well? The "vacuum" location has now changed to the back of the new intake, would lose some venturi effect too. Plus, OP statement stated oil in the intake tube. Seems like the only way to get oil in the intake tube is through the fresh air pcv line, back flow/reversion under wot, or a massive amount of oil is in the intake manifold and then flowing out into the intake tube.

Last edited by Badbubba; 03-18-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Clarkstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
It appears that you just vent to air. I'm not seeing how your getting any fresh air, metered or not, to circulate through your engine/crank for pcv. Is there a 3rd fitting on the catch can that is routed somewhere?
No third line. Yes. It just vents to the atmosphere.... vacuum is ideal, but then you pull that crap back into the motor... which I don't want.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.