Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #57
suprchrgd

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
How many miles on cam? What springs do you have?
23k and btr springs
505/465: 416 stroker, landspeed stg 3 heads, 10.5 compression, btr stg 3 stroker cam, E85, kooks 1-7/8" headers,k&n intake,vmaxx tb,mgw,rxt,bmr 1.5" drop springs,bmr poly cradle bushings,bmr toe rods,bmr trailing arms,bmr uca,bmr diff bushings
suprchrgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #58
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
livernois will lock your ecm if you have them tune your car, and then charge you to unlock it. And they never told me it would be locked in the first place when they tuned it. this made for a huge inconvenience trying to get it re-tuned. I drove from michigan to ohio for a tune and realize then with the car on the dyno my ecm is locked out. we called them to get the code to unlock it and they would not do it. so I drive back to michigan to get it unlocked. it took three days to get it erased off my ecm after dropping it off. i fought them on charging me for erasing it and they dropped there fee. ill never go back to many other places to go with less hassle. also if you do your own work there tunes are very expensive compared to other shops. I will say they gave me a really good tune however. I just want to make people aware what your getting into. I have no compliants on there work in the past either.
same experience here. It was like pulling teeth the get them to send me the stock file amongst other issues

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #59
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchrgd View Post
had the typical 7.4" push rods
7.4" might be fine, or it might be totally wrong. Depends on several other variables in the build - head gasket, heads/blocked decked if at all, cam base circle, etc. I'm not saying it was the pushrods, but it seems pretty odd that you had so many cam lobes wear so poorly - but it doesn't look like the cam failed or delaminated like some of them did. Usually a beat up lifter is the result of something, and not the cause.

What valve spring? I would assume with all BTR stuff it was probably their 660 Platinum - shouldn't have been any problems with that spring.

Interesting stuff to diagnose. Too bad the cam plate had to get sacrificed - nothing else could get that bolt out eh?
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #60
suprchrgd

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Yes the 660 platinum. Only didnthe cam swap, so gaskets and everything was all still stock.
Will have custom length push rods when she goes back together. Stage 3 heads with a new cam. Plus the heads will be cleaned up a bit. 7.4 most likely won’t be the right ones for me to just throw in. I’ll never put another cam in a car without measuring for push rod lengths.
Broke off the bolt extractor off inside the bolt head. Worked just fine on the first one that was locked in, but snapped off the head on the second bolt and there was no drilling out the hardend extractor bit.
505/465: 416 stroker, landspeed stg 3 heads, 10.5 compression, btr stg 3 stroker cam, E85, kooks 1-7/8" headers,k&n intake,vmaxx tb,mgw,rxt,bmr 1.5" drop springs,bmr poly cradle bushings,bmr toe rods,bmr trailing arms,bmr uca,bmr diff bushings
suprchrgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 AM   #61
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchrgd View Post
Yes the 660 platinum. Only didnthe cam swap, so gaskets and everything was all still stock.
Will have custom length push rods when she goes back together. Stage 3 heads with a new cam. Plus the heads will be cleaned up a bit. 7.4 most likely won’t be the right ones for me to just throw in. I’ll never put another cam in a car without measuring for push rod lengths.
Broke off the bolt extractor off inside the bolt head. Worked just fine on the first one that was locked in, but snapped off the head on the second bolt and there was no drilling out the hardend extractor bit.
What a pain. Some times I work on my own stuff, and some times I farm it out. Seems like I lose either way, if I pay my pro he usually has no issues, if I do it myself I often run into something crazy like your cam plate bolts.

I think you have the right idea on measuring before buying pushrods this time, just to be safe. When you're thinking about selecting a pushrod length this is a super good read on lifter preload. I'm in the minimal preload camp myself, I'm pretty well maxed out on PTVC and a stick car, so there is always that chance of floating the valves and getting some unwanted pump up.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the new setup - I think that more people than you might think go through this exercise of going for the max effort cam-shaft right off the bat, and then finding out they actually would trade those last 15-20whp back for some better manners. Especially in a stick car, where you don't have a converter to mask every little fish-bite, buck, surge and hiccup. Personally, I'd like the best of both worlds, but I'll deal with the big cam annoyances know that I'm getting all I can.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #62
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
I had issues with Livernois too, not a good place to deal with.