Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-08-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Rear control arms?

Ok I am having a serious problem. I was driving about 70 miles per hour and I matted the gas and my car and it felt like it moved a foot over one way. I have noticed it moving around some but it has got worse. It kinda spooked me when it moved so far. Is it the rear control arm bushings getting soft? I had a similar problem on a Grand National years ago and I changed those out and it fixed it. Has anyone else had this problem? So if this is what it is which control arms are the best ones? Or is this my problem?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Check your tire pressures first. I have had that happen when one tire was several pounds lower than the other one and I didn't know it. Got them equal and the problem went away. Sounds like your problem might be a bigger deal than that, but it's worth a quick check just in case.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The rear end kick out is common on these cars and worse when you add more power. The best way to get rid of it is to replace the rear cradle bushings with solid ones. Probably the best suspension mod you can do for these care without increasing NVH too much. I also added a larger, adjustable rear sway bar, Pegasus trailing arms and Z/28 upper control arm bushings. Pulls straight with no issues.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
rmcbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
The rear end kick out is common on these cars and worse when you add more power. The best way to get rid of it is to replace the rear cradle bushings with solid ones. Probably the best suspension mod you can do for these care without increasing NVH too much. I also added a larger, adjustable rear sway bar, Pegasus trailing arms and Z/28 upper control arm bushings. Pulls straight with no issues.
What is NVH?
rmcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcbee View Post
What is NVH?
Noise, Vibration & Harshness
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Noise, Vibration & Harshness

All symptoms of polyurethane bushings Plus, potential squeaking and greasing every 4-5 years depending on use.

ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
Delrin is where it's at when control arm bushings are concerned. Also the solid crossmember mounts only added a slight increase in road noise on mine.
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #8
Bigtime53

Ok thank you guys. I had a long day and just got here to read these responses. I have checked the tire pressure and that is not it. It really moves to much and is really kinda spooky. I have seen the cradle bushings but I have been told they do make a noise but I would like to stay away from that if possible. I thought I have seen some solid rear control arms and adjustable ones with polyurethane bushings in them and this would solve my problem,right? Are the factory bushings rubber? Is the rear cradle on the ZL1 different than a SS? I know the housings are but the cradle is the same? Any more help on this I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 03-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
So the cradles are basically the same the difference is around the diff there’s more clearance. I have the PAFDT/AFE solid bushings and I did not feel/hear any noise or vibes outside normal from before. When you’ll really hear or feel it is when you do bushings in the diff, trans, or engine mounts.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #10
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Wink Other Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Ok thank you guys. I had a long day and just got here to read these responses. I have checked the tire pressure and that is not it. It really moves to much and is really kinda spooky. I have seen the cradle bushings but I have been told they do make a noise but I would like to stay away from that if possible. I thought I have seen some solid rear control arms and adjustable ones with polyurethane bushings in them and this would solve my problem,right? Are the factory bushings rubber? Is the rear cradle on the ZL1 different than a SS? I know the housings are but the cradle is the same? Any more help on this I would appreciate it. Thanks
I have done some upgrades on my ZL1 suspension. Here is my build take a look under the suspension upgrade section. The car handles like it is on rails, approx. 90% of the wheel hop has been eliminated. I still have the stock cradle bushings in place.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...8#post10737318
Attached Images

Last edited by Vicster; 03-30-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
Bigtime53

I changed the lower control arms and the toe arms with the BMR ones. Now that has solved the problem. I talked to Steve there and he helped me with what I needed and said it would fix my problem and it did. If you guys need these parts give him a call. Great service and fast delivery of the parts to.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #12
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
I changed the lower control arms and the toe arms with the BMR ones. Now that has solved the problem. I talked to Steve there and he helped me with what I needed and said it would fix my problem and it did. If you guys need these parts give him a call. Great service and fast delivery of the parts to.
Glad you got it worked out. Do not forget to get a 4 wheel alignment done.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote