Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
A tale of two tire brands...

Well, I'm about due for my front tires to be replaced. My 1LE currently has Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on all for wheels in the 285/35 size. The rears were replaced at the beginning of the summer, so they're pretty fresh still.

Coming in to the colder months, while I know dedicated snow tires would be best, I'm looking for good performance and longevity out of an all-season.

I've priced out 2 Michelins like I currently have - $620

I also priced out all 4 BFG G-force Comp 2 A/S - $660

Help me decide which ones?

I don't really have anything bad to say about the michelins besides the fact that they're expensive. They seem a bit loud and recently they do seem to hydroplane more than I'd like. I could probably chalk both of those up the fact that they are wide and they're worn.

The BFGs seem well received here, and with the need to replace the rears twice as often as the front, they seem more economical in the long run despite being a slightly lower treadwear.

Does anyone have any back to back comparisons on these two tires specifically? I'm really looking for cold weather performance and snow/wet conditions.

If I get the BFGs, what do I do with the 2 perfectly good michelins I'll have leftover?
Old 09-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I am a diehard Michelin guy... I buy noting but Michelin tires for my 4 wheel vehicles, and pretty much for my bikes too (Avon's are right up there too).

It was hard for me to throw BFG's on my Camaro... but I've been real happy with them so far... real happy in the rain, REAL HAPPY! I've driven them in a light dusting too (was caught), and they handled good too!

Will I drop another set on her? Unless something else comes along that's better, yes! Michelin doesn't have anything right now that matches the bad weather performance that these do.

As far as the left overs... Craigslist?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
I am a diehard Michelin guy... I buy noting but Michelin tires for my 4 wheel vehicles, and pretty much for my bikes too (Avon's are right up there too).

It was hard for me to throw BFG's on my Camaro... but I've been real happy with them so far... real happy in the rain, REAL HAPPY! I've driven them in a light dusting too (was caught), and they handled good too!

Will I drop another set on her? Unless something else comes along that's better, yes! Michelin doesn't have anything right now that matches the bad weather performance that these do.

Michelin makes the BFGs as well so you are still loyal to Michelin! I think even in the same factory? Based on reviews, the biggest difference is that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will last longer and a little better at everything than the BFG Comp 2 A/S. But that price though...
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfinite View Post
Michelin makes the BFGs as well so you are still loyal to Michelin! I think even in the same factory? Based on reviews, the biggest difference is that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will last longer and a little better at everything than the BFG Comp 2 A/S. But that price though...
I think I saw them when looking at Tire Rack... and I think they weren't available here, for some reason from Discount.

Yeah... huge difference looking now! Next time around, I may see if Discount can order them, which is funny... they ordered my BFG's from Tire Rack while I was standing there.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:29 PM   #5
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post

My wife has the BFG's...I have the PSS (K1's). IMHO the PSS's are better in the rain.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote