Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Windshield replacement... what to look for?

I searched and read through dozens of threads, but I didn't get a good answer.

I know to get OEM glass vs. aftermarket, my car has HUD so supposedly it matters to specify HUD. When they go to install, how do I confirm I'm getting the correct windshield?

I literally just switched my license plates MA and have a week to get it inspected, but the very same day I got the plates a rock chip finally turned into a full on cross-windshield crack.

I have USAA and MA is a good state for glass coverage, so I'm covered financially, but I wanna make sure I'm getting the right glass. It was already a struggle to get Safelite to use OEM, as they default to whatever cheap stuff they have. The customer service rep said they order the glass based on VIN so assuming that's true I should be alright.

The appointment is friday, so I'm hoping to figure what I'm looking for before I go in. I opted for an in-shop install due to the weather, should I wash the car too or will they clean everything around the windshield really well?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
OEM front windshield will say Pilkington on the lower driver or pass side corner of windshield. And yes, let them know that you have HUD as well, since it will allow the HUD to show clear and not distorted as some others have posted before.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_RS View Post
OEM front windshield will say Pilkington on the lower driver or pass side corner of windshield. And yes, let them know that you have HUD as well, since it will allow the HUD to show clear and not distorted as some others have posted before.
This. Had a company install non Hud gm glass, created a double image. Had them redo it (at their cost) night and day difference. Unfortunately it just cracked again.....3 windshields in as many years.

Last edited by Reaper85; 01-12-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #4
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
One tip I'd do is clean your dashboard good and if you're up to it, some protective while the windshield is out. It's a bitch to get into the area between dash & windshield, so why not do it when it's easy as pie. Safelite should give you a couple of minutes, as they have done for me in the past.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:05 AM   #5
terry_b

Good call!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
1st dont use safelite. My uncle owns a body shop. Said never use them. Why because he has had too many come back for leaks or cheap glass that cracks with the 1st stone. Id recommend going with a body shop and ask them who they use. Or go with a chevy dealer.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Welcome to MA.

I use these guys: https://www.jnphillips.com

I'm on my third windshield for the Camaro.

The VIN will tell them you have HUD. You still have to ask for OEM, which is Pilkington. You may or may not have to pay the difference for this more expensive windshield; talk to your insurance company.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
pcrdude

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Personally, I had excellent glass and service from Safelite. HUD is perfectly clear.

YMMV
Old 01-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
terry_b

Well, it's all finished. Currently waiting in the dealership for my MA inspection sticker (what a farce!).

I've got to say, I had a pretty pleasant experience with Safelite. The guys were all jazzed up by my car - love that NPP exhaust! - and they took their time and were obviously careful with the whole process. They took the time to clean the dash and the HUD window, vacuumed and even sprayed off my weathertech mats.

I insisted on OEM glass and that's what I got. It's sooooo clear now! 50k miles of sand blasting on the highway and when the sun hit it just right, the windshield glittered like a teenage vampire. Now it's very clear, HUD shows up nice and clear with no distortion.

Time will tell as far as leaks and installation quality, but I'm pretty happy

Old 01-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #10
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I also had a good experience with Safelite. They put in a OEM windshield (I have HUD), which is working perfectly. The guy at Safelite told me that a lot of the local dealerships call them when they need a windshield replaced, so going to the dealer may or may not make any difference.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
terry_b

Yeah, the dealer nearby want set up to do glass so it would have been some other company anyway

Old 01-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
Well, it's all finished. Currently waiting in the dealership for my MA inspection sticker (what a farce!).

I've got to say, I had a pretty pleasant experience with Safelite. The guys were all jazzed up by my car - love that NPP exhaust! - and they took their time and were obviously careful with the whole process. They took the time to clean the dash and the HUD window, vacuumed and even sprayed off my weathertech mats.

I insisted on OEM glass and that's what I got. It's sooooo clear now! 50k miles of sand blasting on the highway and when the sun hit it just right, the windshield glittered like a teenage vampire. Now it's very clear, HUD shows up nice and clear with no distortion.

Time will tell as far as leaks and installation quality, but I'm pretty happy

Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #13
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I just had my truck windshield replaced by safelight no issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote