Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #29
orbitearl

Drives: 2010 r/s switchblade metalic
I have the same code. Is it on top of the tank? I have 127k on mine, how many on yours? Loose gas cap or some similar message came up on display but getting the codes PO449 and P0041 and P0455.
orbitearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
jbrown13

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielblack60 View Post
Actually, it IS against the law to clear ANY emissions related codes that are failed/current. This keeps jacklegs from going to advance auto and having codes cleared just to make a sell and get more $$ out of the car because the cel isn't on. No reason to clear it if it's going to come right back after two consecutive failures.
Is that a state or federal law? Could you cite a reference so we could read and study the law for our own edification?
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #31
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
The vent solenoid can be changed WITHOUT dropping the tank! About a 30 minute job on a lift, just take the canister loose and it be removed and installed without dropping the tank.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #32
danielblack60

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8, 1998 K1500 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Is that a state or federal law? Could you cite a reference so we could read and study the law for our own edification?
I wouldn't even know where to start as far as looking it up on the net. Back in high school when I worked at advance auto my manager had a paper hanging up next to the registers explaining it. I will take a picture for you tomorrow of it since I will be by there. Maybe it has a web address on the paper somewhere. Ill check for you.

I was also told that by several teachers at the university of northwestern Ohio while I was a student there. It's something to do with the clean air act and how it effects obd readiness monitors. They say the preferred method is to not clear it and to let the light go out on its own by passing the test two warm-up cycles in a row.

I hope I explained myself a little better and I'll try to remember to take a picture of that sign tomorrow for you.

Daniel

Previous Rides
2010 Camaro 1SS M6-12.14 @114 Bolt Ons
2014 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3/6L80
danielblack60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #33
jbrown13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielblack60 View Post
I wouldn't even know where to start as far as looking it up on the net. Back in high school when I worked at advance auto my manager had a paper hanging up next to the registers explaining it. I will take a picture for you tomorrow of it since I will be by there. Maybe it has a web address on the paper somewhere. Ill check for you.

I was also told that by several teachers at the university of northwestern Ohio while I was a student there. It's something to do with the clean air act and how it effects obd readiness monitors. They say the preferred method is to not clear it and to let the light go out on its own by passing the test two warm-up cycles in a row.

I hope I explained myself a little better and I'll try to remember to take a picture of that sign tomorrow for you.

Daniel
I was just curious from a nosy standpoint. I know some states I have lived in you had to have State Inspection and State Emissions Stickers renewed annually. In GA when I lived here in the 70s we had to have a State Inspection Sticker yearly (brakes, lights, windows, etc.), but nothing as far as emissions. When I came back to retire in 2000 the State Inspection Sticker had been discontinued, and still is not required. Certain areas of the state require Emission Stickers (i.e. Atlanta Metro Area), but they are not required statewide. Where I live in GA nothing is required in the way of yearly inspections, and we see some pretty raggedy vehicles on the road. But to my knowledge everything that I have been exposed to over 50 years of owning vehicles and living in 4 different states, was State Law mandated.

I know I read on here some time ago that a car could be impounded/kept by a shop if the TPMS light was on. I checked with a friend that owns a shop here and he said that he would probably be arrested for auto theft if he tried to impound/keep a car for anything other than non-payment of the bill.

I was curious because in the last couple of decades the Feds have been poking their noses into areas that some think are Constitutionally reserved for the States. I happen to be one of those people.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #34
danielblack60

There's the flyer hanging up at advance. It's an updated one apparently because I worked there in 2010-09 but the general warning is basically the same.

It just bothers me when people jump on advance auto/ autozone employees because they won't clear the dtc's when they are only following the rules. It isn't due to incompetence or laziness, they actually aren't allowed.

I'm not sure if it is state or federal or if advance just made that rule nationwide because some states have a law against it.

Previous Rides
Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #35
jbrown13

Daniel, it probably applies in some areas and not others, so I would expect Advance's legal guys have decided to make it company policy everywhere. Large corporations like Advance tend to be very cautious when it comes to legal issues. The fact that it is worded that it "may lead to disciplinary action" (in lay speak, firing) is another clue it's corporate. As far as fines are concerned, my guess is it is another one of those laws that has never been enforced, much like the immigration laws.

The Clean Air Act itself is Federal and you can look at it here: http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/

If you can understand the legalese in it you're a better man than I am. I can almost guarantee that any privately owned service facility in non-emissions sticker areas of GA is going to clear the code and send you on your way. I can understand why States that have emission requirements would have laws in place that require the cause of an emissions code be fixed before issuing an emissions sticker.

I don't think I bashed Advance/Auto Zone or their employees, but if you think I did I apologize.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #36
danielblack60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Daniel, it probably applies in some areas and not others, so I would expect Advance's legal guys have decided to make it company policy everywhere. Large corporations like Advance tend to be very cautious when it comes to legal issues. The fact that it is worded that it "may lead to disciplinary action" (in lay speak, firing) is another clue it's corporate. As far as fines are concerned, my guess is it is another one of those laws that has never been enforced, much like the immigration laws.

The Clean Air Act itself is Federal and you can look at it here: http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/

If you can understand the legalese in it you're a better man than I am. I can almost guarantee that any privately owned service facility in non-emissions sticker areas of GA is going to clear the code and send you on your way. I can understand why States that have emission requirements would have laws in place that require the cause of an emissions code be fixed before issuing an emissions sticker.

I don't think I bashed Advance/Auto Zone or their employees, but if you think I did I apologize.
No sir you didn't, no need to apologize. That part was directed to the guy I originally quoted haha.

Personally I don't live in an area where emissions stickers or annual check-ups are mandatory. I was just going by what I learned at college and the policies and procedures of Advance Auto.

But even working at the Chevrolet dealer, the only way I clear the dtc's is if I performed the repair and the code is passed. There isn't enough time in the day to drive every vehicle two warm-up cycles just to turn the light off. And since there isn't any smog testing performed in my area, it makes no difference if the monitors are incomplete or not.

Previous Rides
Old 11-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #37
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I got this code last year on my wife's 2006 Chevy Uplander Van. I went the opposite direction. I paid for two credits to license the van to my HP Tuners interface, Turned off the code, and calibrated the 6 cylinder for better fuel economy. I picked up 3-4 miles per gallon highway by dialing in the fuel trims.

Nothing for performance since she always runs 87 octane. With 87, the knock retard line looks like an EKG reading lol

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 12-20-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #38
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
The vent solenoid can be changed WITHOUT dropping the tank! About a 30 minute job on a lift, just take the canister loose and it be removed and installed without dropping the tank.
I have the same codes on my ss. Is there a write up on how to do this. I really need some help guys
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #39
camarosspower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
how do you get to it and where is it located at if you dont mind sharing with us. any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #40
Rhino79

Its on the canister that sits right behind/above the fuel tank. You can loosen the canister, let it hang some and remove and replace the solenoid. Its tight, but it can be done!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #41
camarosspower

Rhino I noticed you said with a lift. Could this be done in my garage with a jack n stands. Or don't even try?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #42
Rhino79

Yes it could.