Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-21-2016, 12:46 AM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Motorcycle Riders! '07 SV1000S vs. '04 FZ6

So, I have the chance to acquire my friend's 2006 SV1000s for a song. It currently has about 6,000 miles on it and has always been garage kept and barely ridden. To sum up the circumstances, he moved away and left the bike in my garage for me to either sell for him or buy from him. I would likely sell my '04 FZ6 and give him the cash because I just don't need 2 bikes.

Obviously, this forum may be biased - and I am as well to a point. I truly don't know which bike I'd rather have for myself. I'm hoping some of you will be able to give me some more well-informed points to consider between the two. I love the FZ6, am very comfortable with it and really enjoy the bike overall.

That being said, the Suzuki is technically a newer, nicer bike, and for the deal that's offered, I would truly get a lot more for the money. It has been ridden far less, it's newer and very well taken care of. It also has fully adjustable suspension (preload, rebound and compression dampening front AND rear), steering stabilizer, and the body work/paint is flawless.

But - as it is now the riding position is less comfortable and I've got less time on it so I'm less familiar with it. I do have some options that would improve the riding position - I currently have a set of Heli-bars for it that will make the seating position less "sport-bikey", and if those aren't enough I can actually convert from the clip-ons to a setup more like the FZ6 where I can use any 7/8" bars.

Maintenance is easier on the FZ6, but certainly still do-able on the Suzuki since I have a set of swingarm stands and the front stand. The FZ6 has that ugly dent in the tank that I just hate looking at, where the Suzuki is truly flawless. Both have good tires/chains/sprockets - the FZ6 has all been replaced in the last 6k miles and the suzuki barely has 6k miles.

The obvious difference being the 600cc 4 cyl vs. the big 1000cc V-twin. I like the torque of the twin, but I do love the high RPM from the 4 cyl.

I realize this has all been kind of a ramble... but please, weigh in with your thoughts. Help me choose which one to keep.[/SIZE]

Old 05-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I'd go with the steel pig, aka SV1000S. A liter twin is so much more of a "rideable" bike than a 600cc I-4, especially on the street.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
The Black Knight
2013 Black LFX

Drives: '13 1LS
Suzuki gets my vote. The SV1000 ended up with the old TL1000R motor(detuned) and it's a very good motor and bullet proof. You'll have a lot more usable power with the SV1000s. Plus if you ever go two up, the 1000 has more than enough power for two.

Mods: Flowmaster Series 10's axle back, Black ZL1 20X9 wheels(from Factory Reproductions), K&N Typhoon cold air intake, 20% window tint(all sides & back), gun metal hash marks, black outs for Camaro and Chevy badges, Vitesse Throttle Controller

The Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Don't have experience on either so I'm of no help.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
terry_b

I definitely enjoy the torque in the twin, and since the wife likes to ride, 2-up is fairly regular. It is definitely not as fun on the Yamaha, driving through town with her on the back since I have to rev the engine and slip the clutch a bit more to get moving without jerking her off the back.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Sounds like you have the info you need.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
EZurcher

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
SV for sure.
EZurcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #8
terry_b

I guess my next adventure is learning all the ins and out of the SV... although I tend to keep my bikes a bit more on the stock side