Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
ToyotaCamaro

Drives: SIM 2LT RS 6M, Toy Tacoma S-Charged
Installed a Hurst Shifter in my 2LT (No Pics)

Picked up a Hurst Short Throw Shifter and installed it today. I installed it with the factory shifter knob since the pattern is set up for a V8. Maybe later I'll pick up a new knob and use the chrome lever. 80 bucks for classic Hurst knob is crazy.

I'll start by saying this shifter is awesome. Takes a little more pressure to engage and disengage the gears but the throw is perfect.

The install is not complicated but it was a bitch!!! I watched a couple videos and read the instructions. Bezel removal, easy. Boot and knob removal, easy. Dust cover, easy. Disconnecting the shifter fork, somewhat stubborn. Removing the shifter was tough. After removing the 2 bolts, it didn't just drop out. It took a couple minutes to realize there was alignment springs holding it in there. I had to remove them which was difficult with the rubber boot in the way. Putting them back in wasn't any easier. Finally got the shifter out. Next step, pop in the new the shifter. Easier said than done. Took a lot of force to pop it in. Then having to align the holes was really challenging. After the alignment, the rest of the installation was a breeze.

I have had far more difficult installations, but I wouldn't be quick to help a buddy install another one of these.

2LT RS M6
Sunroof

- Injen Intake
- Hurst Short Throw Shifter
- Mobil 1 0W-30
- WeatherTech Extreme
- Quarter Flares
- 3M Clear Bra
- 20% Tint
- Kicker L5
ToyotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but i was searching, and just decided to ask in here...

Anyone else buy the hurst shifter? I find it odd that i have to go out and buy another knob for the v6 shift pattern. More reviews/pics would be nice. I just ordered mine. Apex has a great deal on them right now. Now i just need to find a new knob, if anyone has any recommendations, that would be great too.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but i was searching, and just decided to ask in here...

Anyone else buy the hurst shifter? I find it odd that i have to go out and buy another knob for the v6 shift pattern. More reviews/pics would be nice. I just ordered mine. Apex has a great deal on them right now. Now i just need to find a new knob, if anyone has any recommendations, that would be great too.
That does suck. I bought mine from APEX last week for my SS and will be installing it tonight. Should have an easier install then the OP since I'm also going to have the exhaust out. I have not seen anything about the return spring so I wonder if that's just a v6 thing. Hope you guys can find a cheap knob.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Well the V6 tranny has "R" in a different location so the H pattern on the ball is wrong. Heres an idea HURST....

DONT INCLUDE A BALL WITH THE H PATTERN!

#1 the pattern is already on the bezel so its redundant on the ball
#2 it wont work with the V6
#3 the white ball looks dumb

I sprung for the $50 black anodized ball without the pattern. Looks MUCH better but they got me for another $50!

As for the alignment springs... PITA on the V6. On the one V6 I installed the HURST on, i didnt reinstall the springs. You dont need them.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
That does suck. I bought mine from APEX last week for my SS and will be installing it tonight. Should have an easier install then the OP since I'm also going to have the exhaust out. I have not seen anything about the return spring so I wonder if that's just a v6 thing. Hope you guys can find a cheap knob.
The spring is a V6 thing...

I've installed several on V8s. Its easy and the exhaust is not in the way at all. You do have to lower the tranny. Its simple!

OH, and by the way... NICE CAR! Mine:

IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

well, if i can't find a knob in time, i might just install it like it's a v8, with the v8 patterned knob, then just change the knob when i get one. Might be kinda dumb, but 90% of people wont even notice.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:

I can't find it now but not long ago someone posted that Hurst would swap the shifter knob for you V6 guys, you just had to contact them and provide proof of purchase. There is a Hurst representative that is a member on here (can't remember who) but you could give them a call Monday to verify.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I can't find it now but not long ago someone posted that Hurst would swap the shifter knob for you V6 guys, you just had to contact them and provide proof of purchase. There is a Hurst representative that is a member on here (can't remember who) but you could give them a call Monday to verify.
awesome, thanks! i'll start looking for the Hurst rep now!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
awesome, thanks! i'll start looking for the Hurst rep now!
This is the guy I was thinking of, Kenji. Maybe he will have some info so you don't have to wait until Monday.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
This is the guy I was thinking of, Kenji. Maybe he will have some info so you don't have to wait until Monday.
PM'd him, thanks!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
If any need to. Go to Barton for your shift nobs. They have v6 pattern and more. Sorry for plugging a dif company.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
If any need to. Go to Barton for your shift nobs. They have v6 pattern and more. Sorry for plugging a dif company.
thanks for the recommendation.

anyone know what the threading is for the shift knob on the Hurst?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
It's the 3/8ths one.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #14
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
The spring is a V6 thing...

I've installed several on V8s. Its easy and the exhaust is not in the way at all. You do have to lower the tranny. Its simple!

OH, and by the way... NICE CAR! Mine:

Thanks, looks like yours is lowered also. I did finish the installation today and it felt much better once I got it on the ground. Getting into reverse was very difficult while it was up on jack stands prior to starting the car and getting the tranny going.

On some lighter news, I did see a cool looking 8 ball at an auto store today for $10 that would be a cool solution for the V6 cars. My guess is that Hurst will make it right either way. My only complaint was the HURST lettering on both sides of the white ball, I would have preferred it not be there.