Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 11-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #211
El Jefe

Drives: Yellow Mustang
Merry Thanksgiving! Watch out if you're traveling this weekend, the crazies are out in force.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #212
converted

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
Merry Thanksgiving! Watch out if you're traveling this weekend, the crazies are out in force.
Yes they are..... But happy thanks giving to everyone! Hope to see yall soon.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #213
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Lightbulb

Hey, how did that RotoFab get on my intake?!? Yeah, I finally installed the darned thing! Anyone else get a CEL right after install? I was very careful with my MAF sensor... It runs good and acts normal, but a CEL popped up as soon as I started it the first time.
Attached Images

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #214
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
No cel for us but we have the CAI version. I'll look at it tonight if you come at a decent hour. LOL. Bring a screw driver for the MAF. Just want to make sure it's facing the right way. We'll check for leaks also. Most likely culprit. Anyone else going tonight? Be there or be square.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #215
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
No cel for us but we have the CAI version. I'll look at it tonight if you come at a decent hour. LOL. Bring a screw driver for the MAF. Just want to make sure it's facing the right way. We'll check for leaks also. Most likely culprit. Anyone else going tonight? Be there or be square.
Sorry Mike, I won't make it tonight. I'm pooped... The airflow arrow on the MAF is pointed the right way. It can't be mounted backwards anyway. There was no seal around the MAF to the intake tube on the original or on the RotoFab. It screws down nice and tight though.

It has an oiled filter, but it is still dry to the touch with minimal oil. Checking all of C5, it appeared that filter oil-related CELs popped up after being driven a while. Mine was on when I started the car for the first time. I routed the crankcase vent line under the engine cover and back over to the 1LE-specific clean side oil seperator (the vacuum circuit is the same as original.) I hope I didn't mess up my MAF. I didn't touch it or jar it, but who knows. I may have to put the stock system back on and see if the CEL clears.

Perhaps it needs to be driven a while for the computer to compensate for the better airflow?

Tara

Old 11-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #216
mp51998

Won't hurt to try to clean MAF but if you do make sure you get MAF cleaner. Don't use anything else. I'm leaving tomorrow but I'm sure if your still having problems one of us would be available to look at it. Keep us posted. I haven't heard anything bad about RotFab. I'm sure it's something simple.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #217
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
Won't hurt to try to clean MAF but if you do make sure you get MAF cleaner. Don't use anything else. I'm leaving tomorrow but I'm sure if your still having problems one of us would be available to look at it. Keep us posted. I haven't heard anything bad about RotFab. I'm sure it's something simple.

Thanks Mike! I'll mess with it again tomorrow. Gotta go do a grocery run, too. Should be quicker runs to the store with the cai! Be safe back in the land of big oil!

Tara

Old 11-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #218
Witchdoctor92

Drives: 2012 1SS Black with white rally str
Mine got one because I turned the key on with the maf disconnected to turn the wheels. I would unhook the battery to clear the CEL and check to be sure you don't have any loose fittings. If the rotofab was used, I would clean the filter. I have a filter cleaning kit if you need to borrow it. That should clear it all up.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #219
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchdoctor92 View Post
Mine got one because I turned the key on with the maf disconnected to turn the wheels. I would unhook the battery to clear the CEL and check to be sure you don't have any loose fittings. If the rotofab was used, I would clean the filter. I have a filter cleaning kit if you need to borrow it. That should clear it all up.
Jody,

Now that you mention it, I did start the car to turn the wheel to the left. That must be it. I'll DC the battery tomorrow and see what happens. Do you lose all of your radio presets when you do that?

Yes, it's a used RotoFab. The filter doesn't look very dirty, but you never know for sure. The seller said he only had it on his car for a short time, but he was selling it... I only have some old K&N oil for my old car, so I need to get a cleaning kit. I may borrow yours? I'll buy you a Coke!

Thanks,

Tara

Old 12-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #220
Witchdoctor92

You can definitely use my cleaning kit. I bet the DC battery trick works for you though.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #221
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Thumbs up

Quote:
Jody, that appears to have done it! I'm going to go to supper and visit with some friends in a bit and do some driving. I drove around my 'hood and no CEL.

On another note, everyone might want to check their batteries. Mine was ever so slightly loose, which could cause rubbing on its plastic case against the metal mounts. I'd hate to spring an acid leak in the trunk..

Take care!

Tara

Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #222
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Hey Jody, I think I saw you cruising south on Rodd Field in your uber-Camaro about 1430 or so. Was that you? There was no sideview moustache, so I couldn't tell if it was you...lol I was in a GOV, so I couldn't stop anyway. Take care!

Tara

Old 12-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #223
Witchdoctor92

Probably me. I took off early from work.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #224
mp51998

Quote:
Probably me. I took off early from work.
Wasting my tax money. Thx!!