Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-03-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
GM Please move the Stereo Steering wheel controls to the left side!

After test driving the Camaro today, I felt that this little annoying thing deserves it's own thread!

I do not understand why they put the stereo controls on the right side of the steering wheel. If my right hand is free, I can just reach for the actual stereo.........stupid. I want to be able to lower or raise the volume while I am steering and shifting. It is like this on my SKY also and really pisses me off. So I rent an Infiniti G37 last week on vacation and like all the other non-GM products I own or have owned the stereo controls are on the left..........hello that is where they should be. THe cruise control can be on the right, becuase once I activate that I am usually already in the desired gear and can take my hand from the shifter.:bangdesk:

End of Rant, please put you 2 cents in.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
TOO late
Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
After test driving the Camaro today, I felt that this little annoying thing deserves it's own thread!

I do not understand why they put the stereo controls on the right side of the steering wheel. If my right hand is free, I can just reach for the actual stereo.........stupid. I want to be able to lower or raise the volume while I am steering and shifting. It is like this on my SKY also and really pisses me off. So I rent an Infiniti G37 last week on vacation and like all the other non-GM products I own or have owned the stereo controls are on the left..........hello that is where they should be. THe cruise control can be on the right, becuase once I activate that I am usually already in the desired gear and can take my hand from the shifter.:bangdesk:

QFT!
For all the same reasons.
All the non GM vehicles I have owned are that way as well...
Old 05-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #4
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
I can understand your point but my girlfriend's GM truck has those controls, I got use to them being on the right so it really doesn't bother me! Sorry!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
I guess now that the car is here, we can pick it apart now.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #6
tom_vilsack
Banned

Drives: fast
maybe this...?

if you have on left...and your shifting...your left hand in playing with radio,your right is shifting...your not in control for even just that small amount of time...

if you have on right...and your shifting...your left hand is on steering wheel,your right is either playing with radio or shifting...your one hand is at least in control at all times...
tom_vilsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post

Right side is standard. It's so people can keep their hands on the wheel.

But what's the point if you drive a manual trans and you have your right hand on the shifter?

Go for the Automatic. Let the computer decide the most efficient gear to be in to travel at your desired speed

Manual cruise control? Do you start red-lining if you hit a steep hill?
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Jpass

Drives: Nice
It all comes down to preference. I happen to prefer the controls on the left for the following reason:
- I usually drive with my left hand on the steering wheel more-so than my right. My right hand is usually on the shifter nob or the armrest. It is more convenient for me to change stations and adjust volume with my left hand currently.

It will be a small adjustment to get used to, but I will probably find myself using the steering wheel controls less than just reaching for the knobs.
Jpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
I can understand your point but my girlfriend's GM truck has those controls, I got use to them being on the right so it really doesn't bother me! Sorry!

That's where they are on my 4thgen Firebird, so I'd be hitting the wrong button all the time if they were on the left. Only thing is with a stick, I might have to listen to a few bars of a bad song while I shift.

On the other hand, I'll probably be pulling up to the wrong side of the gas pump for at least a couple months.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Right side is standard. It's so people can keep their hands on the wheel.

But what's the point if you drive a manual trans and you have your right hand on the shifter?

Go for the Automatic. Let the computer decide the most efficient gear to be in to travel at your desired speed

Manual cruise control? Do you start red-lining if you hit a steep hill?
Well said. Just because one person wants them on the left doesnt mean everyone wants them there.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack View Post
maybe this...?

if you have on left...and your shifting...your left hand in playing with radio,your right is shifting...your not in control for even just that small amount of time...

if you have on right...and your shifting...your left hand is on steering wheel,your right is either playing with radio or shifting...your one hand is at least in control at all times...
im with him.
they want your hands on the wheel, but they still want you to be paying attention.
so why use to hands while driving a car..if neither is for steering?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarliestMemory View Post

On the other hand, I'll probably be pulling up to the wrong side of the gas pump for at least a couple months.
Don't know if you're jokin' or not, but don't forget that little arrow next to the gas symbol on the dash that points to what side the gas is on. Someone showed me this a few years ago...I had never, ever noticed it before and it blew my mind!!! (j/k)
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Too late now bro...
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote