Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
BumbleBeeV62011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Exhaust experts needed

Ok guys, like so many other v6 owners, I have decided to change the exhaust setup on my car. I have read countless posts and watched hours of YouTube videos trying to decide what route to go. Initially I wanted to have a custom 2 1/2 inch cat back made, but now I'm considering leaving the stock piping under the car and add the magnaflow resonated x and some aftermarket mufflers.
I have a couple questions
1- how much of a difference in sound can be expected between 2 1/4 vs 2 1/2 inch pipes?
2- the resonated x from magnaflow, is it 11385 (2 1/4) or 11386 (2 1/2) that people always use?

Before anybody asks, I'm mainly looking for a nice sound that isn't overbearing and very little if any drone. I used to enjoy loud exhaust, but now it gets annoying to me. I know I will gain some power but this is no race car so I'm not trying to squeeze every pony I can out of it, especially since it has about 160k. Any thoughts or input?
BumbleBeeV62011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
If your looking to not have drone issues or lower the possibity of overbearing drone, stay away from the round mufflers and look more at oval mufflers, as the drone less than round mufflers.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
BumbleBeeV62011

Thanks for the input Kenny. Right now I am considering the cherry bomb vortex (like riozland did), dynomax ultra flow, or magnaflow. I have been shopping around and saw thrush turbo mufflers. They are pretty cheap, but the price isn't that big of a deal. My biggest concern is the sound, but I haven't heard an exhaust I didn't like when using the magnaflow resonated x. Decisions decisions.....
Old 06-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
BumbleBeeV62011

The stock exhaust is 2 1/4 correct?
Old 06-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Camaro1037

Drives: 2015 Camaro Ls
You will have many differences of views on this matter.
For my V6 I went with solo performance high flow cats. Followed up with Borla Type S exhaust system. For me it sounds and works the best for the V6 . At the end of the day it comes down to cost out of your wallet. The time spent in searching for your product. The man hours putting it into the car. You will learn a lot in this exhaust journey . Trust me on that but enjoy it

http://www.carsponsors.com/applicati...ut/Camaro1037/
Camaro1037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Magnaflow for your consideration. Minimal drone with the windows up at highway speeds. No need for a resonated xpipe IMO.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485712
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
BumbleBeeV62011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1037 View Post
You will have many differences of views on this matter.
For my V6 I went with solo performance high flow cats. Followed up with Borla Type S exhaust system. For me it sounds and works the best for the V6 . At the end of the day it comes down to cost out of your wallet. The time spent in searching for your product. The man hours putting it into the car. You will learn a lot in this exhaust journey . Trust me on that but enjoy it
I do like the sound of borla and MRT but I can't bring myself to pay 500+ for an axle back, which is why I'm going custom. I did get an estimate from a local exhaust shop. He said that a full 2 1/2 inch cat back with magnaflow X pipe and magnaflow mufflers would be 500. I'm just not sure a full magnaflow setup will give the sound I want. I like an aggressive exhaust note, but not really loud. I'm still listening to sound clips to figure out what will give the sound I want without being extremely loud
Old 06-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
BumbleBeeV62011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
Magnaflow for your consideration. Minimal drone with the windows up at highway speeds. No need for a resonated xpipe IMO.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485712
I like it more than I expected. It has a nice mellow tone at idle. I also scrolled through and watched the acceleration video. It sounds similar to the V8. Now I'm curious how much the sound will change with the resonated X. im going to keep looking but those magnaflows are at the top of my list of possibilities
Old 06-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #9
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
There is a video on Youtube where the guy put a Camaro V8 Magnaflow cat-back on his V6 and it sounds pretty good. The cat-back has an x-pipe (non-resonated) and then 3" pipe to two mufflers. Not sure how the drone is.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #10
awdmofo
V6 banger

Drives: 2016 Lexus CT200H
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeV62011 View Post
The stock exhaust is 2 1/4 correct?
After the Cat there is 2.5" then it goes into 2.25" into the stock resonator and stays 2.25 back to the tips. I have some magnaflow's (the same ones that are in Silent's video he posted in this thread) that use a 2.25" inlet/outlet I took off my car to go straight pipe. Not much louder than a stock setup but also zero drone even with the stock resonators removed. let me know if you want to see a pic of them and I can shoot you a PM.
awdmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
BumbleBeeV62011

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdmofo View Post
After the Cat there is 2.5" then it goes into 2.25" into the stock resonator and stays 2.25 back to the tips. I have some magnaflow's (the same ones that are in Silent's video he posted in this thread) that use a 2.25" inlet/outlet I took off my car to go straight pipe. Not much louder than a stock setup but also zero drone even with the stock resonators removed. let me know if you want to see a pic of them and I can shoot you a PM.
How many miles on the mufflers? Any damage to them?
Old 06-10-2017, 03:07 AM   #12
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
I got square mufflers on my v6 from cherry bomb the vortex mufflers. I love them alot.
Not to loud not to quite just right for me. The drone I get is little. Its hard to explain.
when on the throttle I get a nice burrrrrrrr from the back but its not overbearing or defining. I can hear music on a low volume hold a conversation and get a good smile from the sound.
Under heavy acceleration its really good but dissipates in the highs rpm's no nasty rasp.
But if I want to sneak around the streets not draw attention to my self just normal light driving and nothing is heard at all
Even at 80mph just holding at that speed nothing nice and quiet.
A little gas and it can be heard as a slight reminder from the back going hay I'm here and sound good. I'm totally in love with my mufflers.
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:33 AM   #13
anth331

Drives: 12SS
I have a post "MESSED UP" in the LLT section. If I had to do it all over again I would have done what I winded up with the NPP exhaust or I would have saved my pennies and got a Borla system like I have on my 16 Silverado. I had the Magnaflow X pipe installed and straight piped, way to loud for me. It had a lot of drone also. Like everybody says it depends on what bothers you and what don't.
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
BumbleBeeV62011

Quote:
Originally Posted by riozlander View Post
I got square mufflers on my v6 from cherry bomb the vortex mufflers. I love them alot.
Not to loud not to quite just right for me. The drone I get is little. Its hard to explain.
when on the throttle I get a nice burrrrrrrr from the back but its not overbearing or defining. I can hear music on a low volume hold a conversation and get a good smile from the sound.
Under heavy acceleration its really good but dissipates in the highs rpm's no nasty rasp.
But if I want to sneak around the streets not draw attention to my self just normal light driving and nothing is heard at all
Even at 80mph just holding at that speed nothing nice and quiet.
A little gas and it can be heard as a slight reminder from the back going hay I'm here and sound good. I'm totally in love with my mufflers.
I was keeping up with that thread. I like the sound of your exhaust. It's not really loud, but has a nice tone. I did see on one of your posts that you bought both mufflers for $50 on Amazon, but I only found them to be around $60 each. Can you share a link to the seller? I think I have leveled my options down to the cherry bomb vortex and magnaflow mufflers. My problem is I can't decide if I want to get the 2 1/2 inch pipes installed or use the stock pipes