Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-04-2017, 06:12 AM   #43
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
I was talking about a non tt v8 maybe just a bolt on v8 and you can still make big power on the v6 I know a guy in the town below me making 640 on his lfx on 22 psi on garret turbos if he had a v8 he would maybe make 50 hp more and the lfx is very good for fi
You're comparing apples to oranges here, granted comparing a V6 to a V8 to begin with is apples to oranges. There is an old saying " there is no replacement for displacement" so if you put a power adder on a V6, you can do the same to the V8 and still make more power. I also call bs on those numbers. If he has 22 psi then he has to have a forged engine, which the LFX is not. Going forged is big money also. You can make over 1000rwhp with 22 psi on a forged LS3. The ones that are making 650-750 are only running 7-8 psi.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #44
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Taco View Post
We got the automatic. I was on the fence about which way to go, but the wife was firm on not wanting to shift!
The auto is a great car too I really like mine after all this time. And if tuned the autos really come alive
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #45
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Exclamation

I owned the V6 auto and V8 manual. Trust me, just get the V8 manual and be done with it. The insurance was the same for me, gas barely noticeable, and if you stick to decent aftermarket tires like the General GMAX you'll get much more mileage out of the tires for a much cheaper price and they still hook up good.

The V6 doesn't save you that much in insurance, gas, and maintenance compared to the V8 vs how much more happier you'll be with the power + sound + prestige of the V8. I'm currently driving a 40mpg car and I still don't feel like I save that much on gas. It still takes $31 to fill a Civic vs $48 in the 2SS. DON'T BOTHER WASTING TIME WITH THE V6 TO TRY TO SAVE MONEY! THE SAVINGS IS SO NEGLIGIBLE THAT YOU'LL NEVER NOTICE IT VS THE GREATNESS OF THE SS!!!

And get the manual... it just feels so much torquier and fun to drive and is so easy to shift it's no problem in traffic/city.

Manual + V8 or just get a real economy car like I did if you're truly worried about gas mileage because like I said, I don't even feel like I'm saving that much even on a 4 cyl 40mpg car.... what's the difference between a $31 fill up and a $48 fill up when you're talking 200hp vs 400! Not worth the slight savings! And that's comparing a 40mpg 4 cyl to the SS! A V6 Camaro vs a V8 is almost zero difference!
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #46
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Not everyone needs or wants a V8. No reason to buy a V8, just so you can say you have one. If all these people want to start forking over the money to get one, then sure I'll gladly take one.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #47
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post
Not everyone needs or wants a V8. No reason to buy a V8, just so you can say you have one. If all these people want to start forking over the money to get one, then sure I'll gladly take one.
Well if you didn't spend so much money on mods for your V6 you could use that money towards a V8!

I'm just busting your chops! Enjoy your car!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #48
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
I owned the V6 auto and V8 manual. Trust me, just get the V8 manual and be done with it. The insurance was the same for me, gas barely noticeable, and if you stick to decent aftermarket tires like the General GMAX you'll get much more mileage out of the tires for a much cheaper price and they still hook up good.

The V6 doesn't save you that much in insurance, gas, and maintenance compared to the V8 vs how much more happier you'll be with the power + sound + prestige of the V8. I'm currently driving a 40mpg car and I still don't feel like I save that much on gas. It still takes $31 to fill a Civic vs $48 in the 2SS. DON'T BOTHER WASTING TIME WITH THE V6 TO TRY TO SAVE MONEY! THE SAVINGS IS SO NEGLIGIBLE THAT YOU'LL NEVER NOTICE IT VS THE GREATNESS OF THE SS!!!

And get the manual... it just feels so much torquier and fun to drive and is so easy to shift it's no problem in traffic/city.

Manual + V8 or just get a real economy car like I did if you're truly worried about gas mileage because like I said, I don't even feel like I'm saving that much even on a 4 cyl 40mpg car.... what's the difference between a $31 fill up and a $48 fill up when you're talking 200hp vs 400! Not worth the slight savings! And that's comparing a 40mpg 4 cyl to the SS! A V6 Camaro vs a V8 is almost zero difference!
Based on this logic, I don't know why you didn't buy a ZL/1. I mean the savings of an SS is so negligible that you'll never notice it vs the greatness of the ZL/1.

Last edited by KenKat; 08-04-2017 at 07:37 PM.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #49
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
I just saw him last night he said it was 724 at the crank
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #50
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
last time i had a v8 it was a pontiac 400,cam,headers and judge intake and carb.i got real tired of 8 mpg at 4 bucks a gallon.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #51
JKHolman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT stick
...asking for too much...of something...

Let's see...when I started this thread it was about getting a V6. But it has been hijacked into a V8 vs V6 thread. I do remember asking that the thread be locked up. Thanks, guys.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #52
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

My LT tires at Discount Tires are 660.00 less than my BIL's 2014 SS, just sayin'. Also 25-30 cents a gal over reg unleaded, adds up quick. And for insurance, age of driver is a big factor, and if model name ends in a SS or Z prepare to pay more, regardless of age.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #53
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13LTLoveIt View Post
My LT tires at Discount Tires are 660.00 less than my BIL's 2014 SS, just sayin'. Also 25-30 cents a gal over reg unleaded, adds up quick. And for insurance, age of driver is a big factor, and if model name ends in a SS or Z prepare to pay more, regardless of age.
My insurance from a 1lt RS to a 2SS RS was like $28 every six months.

I had a 1lt RS so it had the same rims and tires as a SS that's why there was no difference to me. But even comparing to a LS, how often do you buy new tires? Not everyday. I drive 2hr a day to work and the General GMax lasts me a couple years. Not worth worrying about tires either way.

When I had the V6 I read on here that it ran better on premium (it adjusted timing according to the fuel grade) and I wanted it to run at it's best so that's why like with the tires, there was basically no difference in gas price other than a few miles per gallon which isn't noticeable to me.

The out the door price between my 1lt RS and 2SS RS was only $2000. I bought both pre-owned with around 10,000 miles on them. The cost difference for me to get the much better car was basically nothing...because like I said, I don't even feel like I'm saving that much money going from the 2SS to a 4 cylinder Honda Civic. $31 a fill vs $48 a fill up to basically be at opposite ends of the performance spectrum isn't worth it. And you better believe as someone who's owned both the V6 Camaro and V8 the gas difference is so negligible that it's not worth dropping to a V6 just to try to save a mere few bucks a fill up on gas because they're too close to make a difference unless you work at McDonalds cleaning toilets and $8 a fill up will absolutely cause you to starve then I could argue that you can't comfortably afford a LS either if you're cutting it that close to where $8 a fill up is going to break you...