Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
Todd_Cooperider

Drives: 2022 ZL1 Convertible
C7 Z06/Z07 -> 991.2 Turbo S -> ZL1 1LE

I just received word that my new ZL1 1LE is finished being built, and now I have the waiting game to play until it arrives. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

As the title says, I had a 2016 Z06/Z07, then I got a 991.2 Porsche Turbo S, and now the 1LE. Some may wonder how I could go "down" from the other cars, but I don't see it as that in the least bit.

The Vette was an amazing car indeed. It was fun on the street, great at the track, and it made for the perfect company showcase vehicle.

Once I moved it, I jumped up to the $200K+ Porsche Turbo S. With 0-60 times of just 2.6 seconds, it was absolutely insane. It was smooth, had all-wheel drive, looked mean, and it was a beast at the track (.04 seconds per lap quicker than the Z06). I loved the car, but it was almost too perfect with a "digital" feel to it. It was very easy to drive fast, but you simply couldn't be a hooligan in it like you could with the Z06.

Now with the 1LE, I plan to prove that I can have just as much fun, at 1/3rd of the price of the Porsche. It looks mean, sounds pissed off, and it too is a beast at the track. Other than smooth ride, and a little bit of quickness from 0-60, I don't see where I am "losing" anything.

We will be doing a series of videos (anywhere from 4-6) on the ZL1 1LE that I think everybody will enjoy.

I must admit...I'm more excited about getting the Camaro than I was waiting for the Porsche.

Hooligans rejoice...
Todd_Cooperider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
You didn't move down.

I went from a GTR to a Zl1, back to a GTR, then to a Maserati GT, then to a Z06/7, then to the Zl1. You are just enjoying cars like I do.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Todd_Cooperider

Drives: 2022 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
You didn't move down.

I went from a GTR to a Zl1, back to a GTR, then to a Maserati GT, then to a Z06/7, then to the Zl1. You are just enjoying cars like I do.
It's definitely fun to try different cars for sure. I also had a highly modified BMW X5M (2017) in that group of vehicles. A completely different kind of vehicle and a lot of fun in its own right.
Todd_Cooperider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
ChrisCoffey

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic
It's cool you guys love sports cars for enjoyment and can take the positives each brand has when you buy one no matter if it's domestic or foreign. I am a mobile painter and when I stop in at the high end foreign dealerships the mere mention of anything domestic is like you just insulted them no matter the pros and cons.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCoffey View Post
It's cool you guys love sports cars for enjoyment and can take the positives each brand has when you buy one no matter if it's domestic or foreign. I am a mobile painter and when I stop in at the high end foreign dealerships the mere mention of anything domestic is like you just insulted them no matter the pros and cons.
Yes, and some of those guys are the same ones that pay $140k for a 911 GT3, and get smoked at the track by a ZL1, and can’t understand why. Real car lovers appreciate the plus minus factor for all vehicles, regardless of what language the car speaks!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
I couldn't give up a Turbo S, but I understand where you're coming from . . . it's not a "track car" by any means, even though it is extremely quick. For the money, it's hard to do better than the ZL1 1LE in that regard.

However, I don't think you gain much from the Z06. I still feel the weight in the Camaro, even though it does a good job of hiding it.

Best of luck!
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Yes, and some of those guys are the same ones that pay $140k for a 911 GT3
Maybe for a used one, looking at 160-180K with any options really, not to mention dealer markups, but even without, one or two options and you are pushing 160K.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCoffey View Post
It's like that for the most part. True story and a rare one at that.........

Other day was coming out of the grocery store, guy made a B line right at me as he figured I was the owner of the Zl1. He had a M4. He was basically drooling saying this was his next car. He was a BMW loyalist through and through. I said, you want a ride? So, I showed him what 700 hp felt like in true American fashion. Guy damn nearly wet himself. He said his lease was up an he's switching to American Muscle. Said he has officially gotten bored with German cars. And he was running a Dinan Stage 3 too so. Guy was easily in his higher 50's. He was all giddy. I said, go buy you a Zl1. At the price point you can't beat it. He agreed considering he paid close to $90k for his M4.

Anyhow, I think more folks are starting to realize that Vettes and Camaro's aren't for mullet heads anymore. It's just an internet talking point now. They are starting to come to their senses and seeing the value they get per $ spent for performance. He was sold. This guy realized that BMW was actually ripping him off at $90k.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
Dethsupp0rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
This guy realized that BMW was actually ripping him off at $90k.
I wouldn't go that far, but $90K is a lot to pay for an M4. That's a lot of options.

I paid about the same for my M3 a few years ago as I did for the ZL1 last year. The inside of the M3/M4 is a lot more comfortable and luxury-oriented than the Camaro's.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
MERAKI AUTOWORKS
Account Suspended

Drives: '16 Z51 C7 Corvette
Awesome! can't wait to see how it compares.

-Josh
MERAKI AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Maybe for a used one, looking at 160-180K with any options really, not to mention dealer markups, but even without, one or two options and you are pushing 160K.
They had huge ADM at the release of the 911.2 with the 4.0, but they are starting to come back down to earth. If you do some research, theres a few still around in the mid to high 140s... you will just have to ship it to where you live so tact on another 2k.

I think most know a car in the 125-180 range has a good chance of getting smoked by a ZL1 1LE with a quality driver.

I also don't think any of those owners are losing sleep over it. The GT3 is one of the best looking cars on the road, but I don't know if I could let a Turbo get away for not much more with a limited options list. The problem with the P cars and M cars is now sound. Turbo charging killed one of the biggest appeals in these cars which was sound in most of their trims excluding the GT3.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
The inside of the M3/M4 is a lot more comfortable and luxury-oriented than the Camaro's.
I respectfully disagree with your point above, having test drove an M4 before I bought my Z, I found the seats to be about as comfortable as a German shiatsu massage. It was easier to get into and out of but who gives a hoot about that.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Dethsupp0rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
I respectfully disagree with your point above, having test drove an M4 before I bought my Z, I found the seats to be about as comfortable as a German shiatsu massage. It was easier to get into and out of but who gives a hoot about that.
I had one for over two years. I miss the lumbar support, and having to sit a lot lower. The M3 is just a nicer place to be in, and I prefer the leather to all the alcantara in the Camaro.

I knew this going in though, and was happy to trade that for having a better handling, better riding, and much faster car.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
I believe a congratulation is in order however, I'm sad to see you're letting the 911 Turbo S go. Its one of my personal favorite cars you can buy right now.

Can't wait to see a comparison between the two cars.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote