Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I just watched a few versions of the commercial (IMO - HYSTERICAL!!) and I didn't see any indications of it being an SS. Maybe an RS, but that's still a V6. It sounds good, and it has fog lights, but a 'regular' gold bowtie in the grill. I can't call it.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #16
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
Too, isn't the LS7 supercharged? The 302 was N/A.
The LS7 in the Z28 is naturally aspirated. I see the minds are working over time. Nice to see everyone playing well together.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #17
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Too, isn't the LS7 supercharged? The 302 was N/A.
No.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/ls7
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #18
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
COOL! The honest answers are starting ... keep 'em coming.

In all fairness, the LS7 isn't quite what I was referring to as it IS a purpose built, race-inspired/designed engine with-like you said, a much larger displacement. I was wanting to compare a relatively SMALL displacement engine VS the typically larger displacement engines that were/are currently available.

This is the same as I was thinking. In the spirit of the 302, the 3.6 has the same characteristics ... high revving, better output at rpms the "regular engines" couldn't touch. Running on 87 is a bonus. I ADMIT, the 3.6 can't compare the numbers to the modern "regular engines" (especially torque), but in the SPIRIT of things, I feel that it is an incarnation of the 302.
The 3.6 can't compare to modern engines in torque? The LFX has only 6 ft-lbs less torque than the "state of the art" LGX 3.6. That's primarily due to the LGX being a larger displacement 3.6L than the old LLT/LFX.

Since the Z28 had to be N/A for heritage reasons, GM just stuck the big cubed LS7 from the Vette in it. Even though it was a large displacement, the high revving small block nature of the LS7 fit in with the heritage of the original "302" Z28.

Sure, it would've been better if they designed a modern interpretation of the 302, perhaps a state of the art 5.0L V8 with a 9-10k rpm redline, but the LS7 was pretty good and it was a lot cheaper.

What gets my feathers in a ruffle is the new Corvette ZR1 LT5. That "LT5" should've been a modernized DOHC 32V V8, not just a pushrod LT4 with a larger blower on it. Ugh!
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #19
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
All good points regarding the LS7 and Z28. I wasn't trying to narrow it down to Z28 engines specifically, just how in the overall picture the 3.6 resembles the 302.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
The 3.6 can't compare to modern engines in torque? The LFX has only 6 ft-lbs less torque than the "state of the art" LGX 3.6. That's primarily due to the LGX being a larger displacement 3.6L than the old LGX/LLT.

Since the Z28 had to be N/A for heritage reasons, GM just stuck the big cubed LS7 from the Vette in it. Even though it was a large displacement, the high revving nature of the LS7 fit in with the heritage of the original "302" Z28.

Sure, it would've been better if they designed a modern interpretation of the 302, perhaps a state of the art 5.0L V8 with a 9-10k rpm redline, but the LS7 was pretty good and it was a lot cheaper.

What gets my feathers in a ruffle is the new Corvette ZR1 LT5. That "LT5" should've been a modernized DOHC 32V V8, not just some pushrod LT4 with a larger blower on it. Ugh!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #20
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmobile View Post
The Jeff Gordan Pepsi commercial is a pretty good example of what the 6 can do in the right hands.
Yep!

GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #21
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
ok its not a 2010 some where above 2012(dash) and the brakes are dead giveaway. Its a V6 RS Camaro
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #22
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
ok its not a 2010 some where above 2012(dash) and the brakes are dead giveaway. Its a V6 RS Camaro
It's definitely a 2013 1LT auto (despite the 09 on the window ) since that was the only year with MyLink radio before the refresh for 2014. No mail slot so it's an LFX V6. Not an RS since it's lacking the 20" wheels and halos. I don't see the 4-pack gauges or leather seats so it's got to be a 1LT. I could use that extra cup holder for above the screen - it held onto that Pepsi pretty good!

I do think they edited in some V8 exhaust sounds a few times like when he was on the loading dock ramp for example.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 06-10-2018 at 12:59 PM.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #23
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
yep not an rs cloth seats
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #24
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
yep not an rs cloth seats
Rs package doesn't determine cloth or leather. 1lt, or 2lt determines that.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #25
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
I'll try stirring the pot here.

The OP has a great point comparing the modern 3.6 V6s to the old 302 as rev-happy engines. And not trying to draw V8 ire.

I love the idea of buying an LS7 car eventually. But in my larger scheme of things, RPMs are over-rated. And the heritage is from the pushrods in a V8. OHC is capitulation. (On a small side note, years ago I missed the chance to build a stroker 4.3 in a boxy S10 regular cab with Z28 stripes.)

I appreciate the Ford guys that built 347s. The Chevy 302 should have also been with a lower deck height. Lower center of gravity and reduced weight is a nice plus. Going back to comparing new versus old: a new 302(350?) would be an excuse to offer a clean-looking no bulge hood, similar to the old small-block cars.

It's getting to be past the point of other peoples' ideas being upsetting.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #26
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
I can tell you one thing, engineering a pushrod 302 cube V8 to try and compete realistically with say, the Coyote 302 would be super expensive and pointless. I'm sure it could be done using some pretty exotic internals, but what about durabity? How long will the thing last? Yes everyone knows that pushrod engines are the only source of power in things like Nascar. And those things do make tremendous power, but at what cost? A single race of 400 to 500 miles and done. I just wish GM would get with the modern times and make a new dohc V8, even if it's a smaller one, say 5.3L, but with a big bore and short stroke to take advantage of a well engineered 4v head. Now THAT would be a win imo.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #27
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
What gets my feathers in a ruffle is the new Corvette ZR1 LT5. That "LT5" should've been a modernized DOHC 32V V8, not just a pushrod LT4 with a larger blower on it. Ugh!
I completely agree
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #28
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
I can tell you one thing, engineering a pushrod 302 cube V8 to try and compete realistically with say, the Coyote 302 would be super expensive and pointless. I'm sure it could be done using some pretty exotic internals, but what about durabity? How long will the thing last? Yes everyone knows that pushrod engines are the only source of power in things like Nascar. And those things do make tremendous power, but at what cost? A single race of 400 to 500 miles and done. I just wish GM would get with the modern times and make a new dohc V8, even if it's a smaller one, say 5.3L, but with a big bore and short stroke to take advantage of a well engineered 4v head. Now THAT would be a win imo.
The implication of the topic is a vote of confidence in the newer V6s by comparing them to older V8s. I understand that, without agreeing. The rivalry with Ford's Coyote isn't in the cards here.

I would go as far as saying the current, more & faster, competitive, part of the segment is stretching to an unhealthy area. The 90s-00s Mustangs were the less expensive, better everyday cars. Even though I would never have bought one.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote