Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Talking Starting to Change My Mind

Well folks I know I have been holding out for a 'vert and I even have my name of Drop Top but........... Now I have been doing a little pondering.
Since Chevy is taking three forevers and a day to announce the actual pricing and are being rather stingy with photos of the 'vert, and I am not very happy with the looks of the 'vert so far from what I have seen(top up or down)
And I am also taking into consideration the factors of the area where I live and the availability of time frames that I can actually have the top down, not to mention how much I love the looks of the hard top lines of this beautiful car. I am starting to actually having a serious change of heart about the convertible. As everything sits right now I am now planning on getting a 2011 SS/RS M6!
I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the set up and car as a package and am actually shining off the 'vert for good.
Here are a few reasons for the change of heart-
1) if I get a vert I will only be able to afford the V6, this is a Camaro I want a V8 and I cannot afford one that is five thousand dollars more for the 'vert AND more for the V8 option as well, nuff said there.......although I am not bashing the V6 in any way, it is a great motor. I have been reading all the threads in here about the gas millage difference between the V6 and the V8 and since it really isn't much of a difference then the V8 is a better deal even at the more expensive fuel that it needs.
2) Due to the fact that I am going to have a V8 I am one of those folks that feel that a convertible muscle car with a V8 should be a Hard top, but I guess that must be the 'old school' in me speaking.
3) I have changed my mind from getting an automatic because even tough I am getting on in my years I now want the stick shift for the feel of sheer power and maybe it will make me feel younger again......who knows. Also I know that if I end up getting the V6 then I will be kicking myself because deep down I want the V8, and if I am going to get something on a payment then I want to at least say I got what I wanted.
4) I decided that a convertible would be nice and the only true convertible in my mind is is a JEEP Wrangler which is what I will most likely be getting for my wife(she makes me drive all the time anyways) they are a tried and true convertible in my eyes and they also come in both hard top and soft top.........gotta love 'em.
5) this new convirtible that Chevy is coming out with will be a first run model and I feel that they are basically still going through R&D even though they are being produced, I feel that if Chevy was for confident in what they are going to produce then they would have had something more "concrete" in design and out in advertising by now, but from what I am observing I see that they are being very timid about getting something solid out. I am sure that they will be coming out with something nice when it comes to the 'vert but I think I will pass on that one.

Good luck to those of you who are getting a 'vert, I'm done holding out for one...........Now to change my name in here. lol

4) after doing a lot of reading of lots of threads in here I feel the combination that I am now wanting is the best all around combination for the buck.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Smart decision. Convertibles have many more drawbacks than benefits, IMO. I owned one convertible for two months and dumped it.
GrinderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
I've never understood the fascination with convertibles. I've driven in one, I owned a Camaro with T-Tops... I just don't enjoy the air blowing in my face. If I wanted that I'd get a motorcycle. To me, the real joy is the roar of the engine slightly muffled through the interior.

But who am I to stop anyone else or tell them not to get something. I'm sure it's going to be a fantastic work of art no matter what. Hold out if you're really wanting it... but it's just not for me. I guess I'm the same way those SS fanatics are with V6's.
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Just keep in mind that some of the best looking cars look trashy when vert!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
Vert is somthing you will always want to drive but never own.
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock427 View Post
Vert is somthing you will always want to drive but never own.
I couldn't have said it better
Old 07-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
ketel0ne

Drives: Used to have 2010 SGM
I have vert c4 vette and I will say that it is surprising how many days are too cold or too hot to put the top down. When the vette is gone I will never have a convertible again. In the DC area it is convertible weather like 4 months out of the year maybe. It may be that there are some people who are dog people and some who are cat people. Some people around here put their tops down as soon as its 50 degrees outside, i think they are nuts, just like the guy with his top down when it is 90 and 110% humidity and his air is on. I may just be a hardtop person.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne View Post
I have vert c4 vette and I will say that it is surprising how many days are too cold or too hot to put the top down. When the vette is gone I will never have a convertible again. In the DC area it is convertible weather like 4 months out of the year maybe. It may be that there are some people who are dog people and some who are cat people. Some people around here put their tops down as soon as its 50 degrees outside, i think they are nuts, just like the guy with his top down when it is 90 and 110% humidity and his air is on. I may just be a hardtop person.
I can think of but two states where this might be useful... California and Florida. That is, for a daily driver. If just for a toy car, then that changes everything.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Wow. That was a little hard to read. Go get the ss manual and enjoy it.

The only true vert is not the Jeep Wrangler. It is what Jeep always wanted to be. The "Land Rover Defender 90"
They are actually sent out to rescue Hummers in the Middle East.
Mine is very well built and 1 of 212.
Don't get me wrong, I love Jeeps and also own one.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
Wow. That was a little hard to read. Go get the ss manual and enjoy it.

The only true vert is not the Jeep Wrangler. It is what Jeep always wanted to be. The "Land Rover Defender 90"
They are actually sent out to rescue Hummers in the Middle East.
Mine is very well built and 1 of 212.
Don't get me wrong, I love Jeeps and also own one.
those Land Rovers are nice but I can only afford a Jeep, I have also seen Jeeps sent out to rescue so called "4x4s" as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Market has come down. you can pick up a Defender in the mid 20s right now. Keep in mind that they were only imported in 94, 95, and 97 with the latter being in auto only.

A topless Defender is the envy of all Jeep owners.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
I can think of but two states where this might be useful... California and Florida. That is, for a daily driver. If just for a toy car, then that changes everything.
well here in GA I realize that I am limited to about four months out of the year that I can have the sunroof open in my Monte Carlo and obviously a person can have the sun roof open more than he can have a 'vert top down and after I got thinking about it for a while I am figuring that actually it would be practically useless to have one here. Plus the convertible would most likely be a heavier car and with the car as heavy as it is as a hard top I really dont feel like adding any more weight to it, and if I get the V6 in it then it will feel like a dog then.
I love convertibles but the more I think about it the more I realize it is just not right for this particular car although I still cannot wait to see them come out in convertible and I really hope that folks that get them will be happy with them.