Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
wbooker13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
New Camaro Owner

Hey guys. I bought a 2014 Camaro SS 1LE this weekend and I'm loving it. I came from imports since I've been driving, and I'm loving driving a V8 American car. But I do have some questions. The car only has 32,000 miles. I've searched the forums as much as I can, but my transmission is a little loud. It makes the mechanical noise in the low gears, but goes away when you get it the higher rpms. Also, I know the cars stiff, but my car does kind of make some clunking noises over loud speed bumps when I go slow over them. And finally, should I be worried about clutch noise as in clunking on low Rpm shifts and there's also a slight click when I let out the clutch in gear while rolling down the road. I'm sorry if these are common questions, but like I said I honestly admit to knowing virtuously nothing about these cars, and am looking forward to learning. Thanks
wbooker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
TXSheepdog261

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
If the clunking noise over bumps is coming from the front end, it is the front struts. I replaced both of mine with Monroe and they work great. The rest sounds normal. Congrats on your new purchase. If you love track capable cars then you are gonna love your 1LE.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
15cammedSS

Drives: 2015 2SS....white
conGRATS on your new ride!!!! I too came from the import world. Lovin’ my SS.... lmk when your ready to make her unique. phastekperformance.com
2015 Summit White 2SS/RS with NPP.... Roto-Fab intake....Phastek lowering springs....BMR strut brace....custom cut blower cam and tune by Matt Sorian.....@MSTuning...BTR valve train....stainless power longtubes with HF cats....Phastek supplied
15cammedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Congrats and welcome!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Congrats & Welcome
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
OP, try the 1LE section for specific questions. That said, the 1LE is an animal that loves to clunk. Should not worry you. I have a 13 1LE with 13k miles, clunk from day 1. I also had the front struts replaced under warranty, but it is a stiff suspension, so don't worry if it doesn't feel or sound like a Cadillac over bumps. Take it to the track, finish your first 20 minute session and the car will make 100% sense to you.

Important, just my advice, since you have 32k miles, engine oil is a given of course, but I'd recommend you dump the diff and trans fluid ASAP. Get fresh fluid in both. I track mine every so often, so I've done this a few times. The premixed OEM 75w90 is just fine for the diff and Amsoil, Redline, Mobil1 or Royal Purple full synthetic will be good for the trans. Your choice on brand, just get it done (both easy DIY projects). This will help with clunks too

Congrats on the new car
Old 11-14-2017, 11:37 PM   #7
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Congratufreakinlations! Know the feeling. Hope you have many many wonderful years with her. Pics man... show 'er off! She's loud... she's cranky sometimes.... but take good care of 'er and she'll never let you down.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #8
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Congratulations on the new ride and welcome
Old 11-15-2017, 05:23 AM   #9
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbooker13 View Post
Hey guys. I bought a 2014 Camaro SS 1LE this weekend and I'm loving it. I came from imports since I've been driving, and I'm loving driving a V8 American car. But I do have some questions. The car only has 32,000 miles. I've searched the forums as much as I can, but my transmission is a little loud. It makes the mechanical noise in the low gears, but goes away when you get it the higher rpms. Also, I know the cars stiff, but my car does kind of make some clunking noises over loud speed bumps when I go slow over them. And finally, should I be worried about clutch noise as in clunking on low Rpm shifts and there's also a slight click when I let out the clutch in gear while rolling down the road. I'm sorry if these are common questions, but like I said I honestly admit to knowing virtuously nothing about these cars, and am looking forward to learning. Thanks
I have an SS, not 1LE...clunking over bumps - I thought I had a a worn suspension parts somewhere, tunrs out it was the rear brake pads...I determined this accidentally. It sounded to me like something in the front end, but I replaced the rear pads for a different reason, all noise over bumps gone. I was really surprised. And as far as driveline, unfortunatley does seem to be normal.
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 AM   #10
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Welcome!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:38 AM   #11
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbooker13 View Post
Clutch chatter is very common and normal on these cars. The loud trans is normal as well. Many people that changed their trans fluid say its a pretty drastic change for noise and feel. The click could be from a LPE clutch return spring. Check if there is one on the car. I have the LPE return spring and mine clicks sometimes.

The clunking noise is also common but, not exactly normal. This clunk comes from the front struts being blown out.

Oh and since nobody else has done it...............
Old 11-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
Centauri

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I joined the club last Saturday as well. Hope you are enjoying it as much as I am.
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #13
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15cammedSS View Post
conGRATS on your new ride!!!! I too came from the import world. Lovin’ my SS.... lmk when your ready to make her unique. phastekperformance.com
PHASTEKPERFORMANCE.COM

NO ONE LIKE US!!!!

lmk if you have any questions or need some help with anything

gabe
Old 11-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
welcome to the club, there are a ton of threads that will cover just about every question you have. do some research first, then ask the questions. Save your self some time and headache. i've learned so much with searching on here and reading all the threads of various topics i had questions on.
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote