Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #617
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
Auto cause I like to win drag races!
^^^This
Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #618
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Manual, because I am a man.
The fact that these amazing cars are even offered in an auto format is patently offensive to me. Yeah, yeah, I know that Camaro has always had an auto, but still...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk117 View Post
I saw my car on the lot and liked the color with the spoiler that it has but it was an auto. I thought real sports cars had to have a manual.
You have to go back 40, maybe 45 years and be thinking about little British and Italian sports roadsters, Trans-Am racing, and maybe Corvettes for that to be true. Back then, for those cars, that absolutely was the way the thinking went.

Quote:
After about the fourth time at the lot and it was still there the salesman talked me into driving it. I love this car. The tap shift works pretty well and in the end with my screwed together spine and bad legs a manual probably wouldn't have been as much fun on a regular basis for me.
So is it the new-tech-ness of the tap shift itself or simply the fact that you now have a reasonable method of near-full manual control over what's going on inside the transmission? I'm honestly curious here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
... some serious issues....
That manual/man/manly line gets old even for some of us who wouldn't ever buy a car with an automatic transmission. Never mind that my wife and daughter would both argue that it isn't sufficiently inclusive.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #619
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
Auto to lazy to shift gears
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #620
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Ha ha ha

So, I have issues because I am honest, and believe taht to drive such a fantastic and potentially dangerous car you should actually have learned some skill when it comes to handling a machine of this caliber?

You are making my point for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
You Sir, have some serious issues....
Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #621
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
So, I have issues because I am honest, and believe taht to drive such a fantastic and potentially dangerous car you should actually have learned some skill when it comes to handling a machine of this caliber?

Cool... so now I know my 16 year old has special skills...
Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #622
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Quote:

You act like us auto guys don't have driving skills....lol. I just made some passes at the track in a nitrous/cam/bolt on zr1 that proves otherwise. You think a Camaro is dangerous, try that car. Yep takes a little skill to get it down track quick, but I still stand behing my original comment. I like the auto because of consistency and predictability.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #623
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

Now that's funny right there no matter who you are

By the way ALL cars are potentially dangerous...even a smart car...
Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #624
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
You act like us auto guys don't have driving skills....lol. I just made some passes at the track in a nitrous/cam/bolt on zr1 that proves otherwise. You think a Camaro is dangerous, try that car. Yep takes a little skill to get it down track quick, but I still stand behing my original comment. I like the auto because of consistency and predictability.
I don't think anybody would argue that operating a powerful car out toward its maximum performance capabilities does not require skill, regardless of its transmission type. I sure wouldn't.

Unfortunately, the perception of an automatic is still tied to street driving where the only thing a driver needs to know is where to find "D", "R", and "P" and how to push down on the gas pedal. Co-ordination strictly optional. And all of the replies where the automatic tranny car was purchased because "the wife can't drive stick" would appear to be evidence that a bit more skill is required to drive a manual tranny car than some are willing to work at obtaining.

No flame intended - it appears that you got yours in automatic for exactly your right reasons.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #625
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Ok. The first car I ever had an opportunity to drive was my dad's 91 Honda Accord in around 1997 when I was in still in high school. That car had a manual, it was the sweetest transmissions I ever had the pleasure of using! When I was even younger he would let me shift the gears for him when he was driving the 82 Subaru we had. He also taught my mom how to drive in his 3spd (?) 59 Vette when they were dating. Standard transmissions have always been a part of our family driving tradition. Before I had a car I drove motorcycles, and shifting in traffic doesn't bother me at all. Though my Ducati has a stiff clutch and my left hand goes numb after an hour or so in traffic, my other bikes were more forgiving.*

In the states i have a 5 spd BMW Z4 summer car that i have driven in NYC, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago... traffic jams, hills, unfamiliar roads and gears never bothered me because it is just so second nature to me.*

However, the first car I ever bought was an 2.0L automatic 4spd Hyundai Tiburon. While I loved that car, the engine and transmission were disappointing *and that is what made me get a new car. Going on the twisty mountain roads I liked having the shift-tronic feature in the Tib, and it still is a fun car to drive.*My Camaro is a v6 with an automatic transmission. I am very satisfied with it. On the same mountain roads I don't even bother with the tap shift. The tib was pretty dumb and slow on those roads, and needed to be revved to go anywhere while the camaro is stunning on its own, it has more than enough power and torque and i only use 10% of the power most of the time.*

The only officially imported camaros that are avaliable where I live are all V6 A6, so I really didn't have a choice, still I don't think I need anything different for my style of driving and where I live. In the states I may have bought one with a standard, but mine is amazing the way it is. I was a Mustang fan since I was young, this year I got to drive a auto 5L GT, I think that my Camaro is more fun to drive, feels more powerful, better equipped and at least I have to option to changs gears with tapshift if I feel like it. That's my story!
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #626
Chevyman2010

Drives: 2010 camaro ss, 1979 silverado
I'd prefer a manual car just because of the fact... That being said I have an automatic mainly because I couldn't pass up the deal. Got it cheap and the miles were low.
Chevyman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #627
sticks88

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS ,2014 Rav4
Auto...bad right shoulder.
sticks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #628
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Manual for me.

There's no better sound/feeling than the dual mode exhaust popping behind you as you execute a perfect heel/toe downshift going into a corner.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #629
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Stick,... that way the kids will never know how to drive it.
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #630
Gimpie95

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS
For me it's as simple as every auto I've ever owned I've always gotten bored with it. It may be personal preference, but there's no greater joy than driving a powerful car and banging through those gears!
Gimpie95 is offline   Reply With Quote