Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #29
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Installed Pfadt Sport sway bars...

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/176

Did not take any before/after pictures...there's plenty out there and there's not much to see.

Installation observations: The old bars can be removed and new ones installed without removing muffles/raising engine/etc. It's a bit like one of those frustrating puzzles...they have to be twisted and turned just so to get them out...and the Pfadts go in a bit easier than the stock comes out. I would HIGHLY recommend leaving the plastic wrapping on the bars so you minimize any marring of the finish on the bars while you're working them into place.

Set rear bar to stiffest setting and I'm pleased with the effect it had on body roll and overall handling. Roads are pretty straight and flat around here, so my impressions are limited to long sweepers for now.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #30
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

tail light trim rings

I decided to begin the process of ridding myself of all the chrome on the car...step one was the tail lights trim rings.

I needed a couple of bits of material....

600 and 800 grit sandpaper
Dupli-color Adhesion Promoter
Dupli-color DA 1605 Flat Black

I pulled the trim rings (pain in the rear, but did not have to remove bumper).
Used 600 grit paper to sand the trim rings...was satisfied when they began to look like brushed aluminum.
Cleaned thoroughly, let dry. Masked off tabs.
Applied 2 light coats of adhesion promoter...10 minutes between coats and 30 minutes before color.
Applied 2 lights coats of flat black, followed by a medium coat (10 minutes between coats)

Let dry and there were some bad spots...I had the spray can too far away and the paint was 'drying' before it even hit the trim ring.

So....waited for 24 hours and wet sanded the rough spots out with 800 grit.
Satisfied, I applied two more coats of flat black. I then followed with clear coat...which gave a glossy appearance I didn't like. I then went over the clear coat with a final coat of flat black.

I'm satisfied with the results...

Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #31
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
looks great bro , and thanks for the info on the cam .... once again looking great
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #32
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
@ your new taillight rings! Awesome!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #33
VegasRich

Drives: '96 Coupe
It was great meeting you today! Feel free stop by my cube anytime you are at our shop. The car looks awesome. Your teams did a great job and nice work on your detector too. I'll have to remember this link when I get mine. Take care!
VegasRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #34
PERRIN_ADAM

Drives: 2010 CAMARO TRIPLE BLACK 2SS
Taillamp rings look awesome! So kool that something so simple makes such a huge visual improvement on the car!

Great project! Can't wait to see more about it soon!
PERRIN_ADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #35
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Looking for more air flow

After removing the water bottle either bend back or cut the plastic blocking the lower radiator grill on that side. It is harder but you can also cut a hole in the plastic next to the radiator on the upper grill or remove it completely.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #36
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

MagnaFlow axle back- 2.5" Street Series - Part No: 16581

First- Thanks to Jordan at JDP Motorsports for a GREAT price, outstanding service, and super fast delivery.

It goes downhill from here.

I called a local 'muffler' shop to see if they could install as call to Ron @ Vengeance clued me into the fact that since I already had the ARH 3" system back to the axle, this wasn't going to 'plug right in' with just a few clamps and the pieces MagnaFlow supplied in the box. I like welds anyway...so off I went. What a mess...the poor guys in this shop were not equipped with the pipe of tools to get done what I needed done. They tried to borrow some pipe from the stock mufflers, so I couldn't have them just rebolt the OEM mufflers back up and head out to find a proper shop.

After getting them reasonably attached, they fired it up on the rack to check for leaks. The good new is that there were no leaks on the connections they made (which were secured with the supplied clamps). BUT, there were leaks on one of the Magnaflow mufflers...you ready for the pic??? I was SHOCKED. Once the car was started, it apparently blew through the little bit of metal that was covering a hole due to a REALLY bad weld job.

On the front side of the driver side exhaust hanger...

On the rear side of the driver side exhaust hanger...

On that same muffler, the weld for the polished tip on the pipe looks like this...

For reference, this is what a weld point looks like on the other muffler...

I guess I was a victim of a 'training day' for a new welder...but there's no excuse for such poor quality on an exhaust that retails for over $800.

Here's a few pics of the needed pipes being welded in properly....

And the finished product...which I personally think is outstanding...

OK...now that it's all welded up...how does it sound???? (That's why we buy these mufflers right?!?!?!)

To my shock and amazement, the car is now significantly quieter than with the stock mufflers! I have seen the cut apart stock exhaust which reveals its essentially straight through and I have read other magnaflow threads, so I was expecting it to be a bit more tame...but it's MUCH more tame than I anticipated. Keep in mind I have a fairly aggressive cam and headers w/ high flow cats...so before it was LOUD. My wife really didn't like how loud it was even at idle and if I stomped the gas things really got out of control.

With the MagnaFlows on it brings the car into a bit more of a 'refined' state..not quite so wild and raucous. The idle is very nice and throaty and smashing the gas peddle yields a nice deep roar and decel under load no longer produces much backfiring. I was concerned about exhaust drone and lo and behold I now have some. It's not terrible, but it's there...a deep baritone hum at just about any sustained RPM level. Bummer...but not a deal killer. Overall I'm fairly satisfied, but I have a feeling if Corsa can get an exhaust on the market that's just axle back, I might have the MagaFlows up for sale (with the crappy welds fixed of course ) Pssst...here that Corsa...want a direct comparo and convert story??? My father has Kooks/Corsa on his C5 Vette and the sound is intoxicating...and after my magnaflow change his car is now louder than mine. :(

In short...if you have ARH(or any system) back to the axle and you're adding the MagnaFlows, find a really, really good shop that can fab you pipes. OR....and I hope he doesn't mind me saying so...but a very, very slight comment was found on the board yesterday by the guys at ARH and they already reached out to me saying they had the connectors I would need. Funny how it's ARH that comes to the table with a fix and not MagnaFlow... There's competition for the pieces between the headers and the mufflers...and I now know for certain that I'll look to ARH before I look to anyone else...their parts are top notch and they CLEARLY stand behind their work and are focused on customer service.

Last edited by themossman; 01-09-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #37
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT

Nicely done Mossman!

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #38
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Glad you got it fixed. Looks very nice.

Now mash the pedal and GO...
Old 01-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #39
fast34me

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Thanks for the posts. Your detailed posts, pics, and suggestions knock down the learning curve in a major way. The radar det. install was on my list, so I'm way happy to find you've done my homework for me.
fast34me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #40
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Well....the first 'no go fast' mods are done. I don't think there's any chrome left on the exterior of the car.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #41
tgdtown

Drives: Cyber Gray 2SS -RS
Nice job...
tgdtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #42
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Silver / Black combos are perfect for your beast!
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote