Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 04-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
Purchasing out of State requirements(Massachusetts)

Hi All,

I am working a few out of state potential deals.

One of the dealers will not register the car in MA and is not including the title and fees for that aspect.

1. I currently have a second car which I can transfer the plates but I am unsure how this transaction needs to work.

I personally don't want to go to the registry and burn a day(contract/hrly) doing this.

Does the dealer have any obligation to ship the car with registration?

The process I assume will take a a few days I imagine. Once the clock starts I have 7 days effectively to register it minus the time I actually get it.

How best to proceed? Anyone with out of state experience?

Please help asap as I don't want to lose out due to logistics.

Thanks!
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
charles71

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
My Aunt owned a car dealership and they do not have to collect taxes or register the vehicle especially since you are buying from out of state and registering in the state you are in. Shipping is all on you unless you workout a deal with them.
Livernois Stage II Heads & Cam, LS7 Lifters, Ported Intake & Throttle Body, Rotofab CAI, BBK High Flow Fuel Rail @ Guage, Eaton Tru Trac Posi with 3.91 gears, 1000 HP Axels, Kooks Long tubes & full Corsa Exhaust, GM Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Mcleod RXT Twin Disc, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 1.5" Lowering Springs, Strut Tower Brace, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, Apex reservoir relocation kit and air scoop.
charles71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I think you just need to bite the bullet. Register it when you get it why would they provide you with a registration. Do you really think they have time to do that for everyone? I know this might not be your excuse but sounds a lot like millenial/gen y laziness and over expectation to me.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
rich2342

Well, First I'm not a millennial. Second the dealer 10 miles away in PA will do the registration prior to sale.

I thought that had to be done at time of sale anytime I had purchased in the past it was. I get paid as a contractor standing in line at the mass rmv of all places ain't my cup of tea.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
You should ask BeckyD. She regularly deals out of state, and I am sure would be happy to share her expertise. From my own research for buying out of state for CT, you will also have to pay the difference in taxes if the dealer's state has a lower tax % than you.

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
libb46

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
I'm from CT and have bought vehicles in Mass and New York ( right over border) in the past and they would send someone to DMV probably because it was close. The car I have now I purchased in Indiana, flew out there bought it and paid CT sales tax % rate there. This way when I went to DMV all I had to do was register and show them gross retail tax receipt of CT % rate. I understand going to DMV is hard but I really don't think there is a way outa that one. If they did hire and allowed a sub contractor to register the car for you will end up costing you more money in the long run.
libb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
rich2342

I spoke with my Ins. They said it doesn't need to be registered until the car arrives.

I have a 2nd car now I can transfer the plates I think with a MA RMV-1 form. I can use those plates off the trailer until the Transfer is complete as long as its been started.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
marklsx

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
The MA registration transfer rules are a bit ball busting. When I bought my 1SS I wasnted to transfer the plate off my 01 Z28 and then sell it at my convenience. I ended up getting a new registration on the new car and cancelling the old registration.

Not sure how they can enforce all of these rules, so you might be able to do it the way you want to.

This link has some FAQs about it:
https://www.massrmv.com/Portals/30/docs/21426.pdf

Q
#6. I want to keep my current car and park it in my driveway until I can
advertise and sell it, but I want to get a new car right away. Can I take the
registration plates off of my presently registered car and attach them to my new car?
A
Only if you register the newly aquired vehicle first. To use the Seven-Day law,
you must transfer or lose possession of your currently registered vehicle before you may legally

attach the registration plates from that vehicle to your newly acquired vehicle.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
I live in MA & bought in NH... the day I took delivery (I sold my old car privately) I put my plates on my new Camaro from my previous car I was selling, drove it to my insurance agency who took care of insurance, as well as MA tax & all registration stuff for me, didn't even have to go to the RMV.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #10
Rich2010

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray LS3 SS/RS
Just to reaffirm what Marklsx said, the 7 day rule only applies if your other car is no longer owned. Otherwise it would be illegally attaching plates and that’s a long ride from IN.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
rich2342

I lost out on one of the cars I was in on. Boo.

The other dealer said they can do title and Reg, but I would need to transfer and also get rid of my current 2nd car within that window from what I'm hearing?

I don't have an agent if this wasn't the case. I would have to do it myself, which I want no part of.