Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #113
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4946 View Post
And they are responsible for keeping wages in this country high,
The artificially high wages are a huge part of the problem in this country. This country was built on the premise of capitalism, and the free market economy. When you have artificial means such as unions keeping wages high for one business, it cannot compete against others which do not have such costs to deal with. If you have an entire economy in which you have a high degree of this practice, then that economy as a whole becomes less competitive against other global economies. Businesses are choosing to locate elsewhere to avoid this situation. Why do you think GM is building fewer and fewer cars in the US? Because it costs them too much to build them here.

Sorry, but I'm not thanking you. In my view, unions were desperately needed in the past. But not anymore. The government has established laws which prevent unfair treatment of workers. Things like a 20% pay cut are not covered by those laws of course. That's just a part of life sometimes.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #114
LAWMAN

Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
Quote:
Originally Posted by L05ER View Post
i've always disliked the idea of unions... since i was born in the late 20th century not the late 19th century. maybe it's a little personal for me, owning my own company and all.

it's all business, if the workers refuse to take a pay cut and the customer refuses to pay the new cost of business... well i'd just say screw em both. close down and let the employees find new jobs and customers find new companies.

GM is just as much to blame for the current scenario as anyone. take the 15% (what are we talking here $100 per car max?!) hit and find a new shipper... it beats disappointing customers and HOPING they see it as allied's fault.
by the way,i dislike unions as well,it drives cost's up and a union member can loaf at work all day on an 8 hour shift and maybe actually work 2-3 hrs. out of a day and an employer can't touch them,
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #115
jeff4946

Drives: 2010 RS 2LT
Don't worry. When the unions die. You'll be paid squat, and maybe you could hop the border, and grab one of those good paying Mexican jobs... artificially high? I'm not artificially grtting paid. And if you think you can keep up on my 12 hour shift... come try! Unions also make for safe work places also. Funny, I bet half the people in these forums are paid well enough to buy a CAMARO, because of the sweat of union workers, because if it wasn't for us, there would be no competition because everyone would be paid like a third world country. And there would be no OSHA, and children would work for pennies. But you drive a 40k car made by union workers, who maybe barely afford the products they make. Lazy bastards, right? O ya, and my union dues go to help fight cheap products being brought over from other country, and make it a fair wage for them too. What do your dues go for?
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold

Last edited by jeff4946; 03-28-2011 at 06:01 PM.
jeff4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #116
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4946 View Post
Don't worry. When the unions die. You'll be paid squat, and maybe you could hop the border, and grab one of those good paying Mexican jobs... artificially high? I'm not artificially grtting paid. And if you think you can keep up on my 12 hour shift... come try! Unions also make for safe work places also. Funny, I bet half the people in these forums are paid well enough to buy a CAMARO, because of the sweat of union workers, because if it wasn't for us, there would be no competition because everyone would be paid like a third world country. And there would be OSHA, and children would work for pennies. But you drive a 40k car made by union workers, who maybe barely afford the products they make. Lazy bastards, right?
I work for a software company. We don't have unions and we don't need them. If I feel like I'm not being treated well, I can leave my company and find another, or start one of my own. If the economy gets tight, I may get laid off or have my pay cut (been there), but I don't rely on anything except my own capabilities to get me another job. I work on a salary but work anywhere from 10 to 14 hours a day 5 days a week, and often work on weekends too. I also work with a team in India so I have to work late at night for no extra pay, but I already get paid fairly and it's part of my job description, so I don't complain. Don't act like you work harder than me when you don't know me from Adam.

Have you taken a college-level economics course? I don't think you understood the point of my post. I was not saying you were "artificially getting paid." I'm saying that unions cause wages to be higher than supply and demand would set them, and that is not good for the business involved nor the economy as a whole. And then you go on to say that without unions there would be no competition.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #117
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Let's keep this respectable, folks...I'm watching close, because these threads get out of hand quickly. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #118
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Why does allied stealing cars start a pooh flinging war between white collar and blue collar camaro owners. The fact is allied STOLE cars while transporting them. The drivers should be charged with gran theft one count per car stolen.

How is this any different than the drivers just driving those cars to their house and putting them in their own garage! Does the fact that a company did it make it a difference. Heck, maybe the mob should incorporate.

Last edited by formare; 03-28-2011 at 06:39 PM.
formare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #119
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Let's keep this respectable, folks...I'm watching close, because these threads get out of hand quickly. Thanks.

I agree. Lets talk about something easy, such as religion!
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #120
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Why does allied stealing cars start a pooh flinging war between white color and blue color camaro owners. The fact is allied STOLE cars while transporting them. The drivers should be charged with gran theft one count per car stolen.

How is this any different than the drivers just driving those cars to their house and putting them in their own garage! Does the fact that a company did it make it a difference. Heck, maybe the mob should incorporate.
Drivers report to someone else...and it's that 'someone' who made the decision to park.

EDIT: Did you mean "collar"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
I agree. Lets talk about something easy, such as religion!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #121
jeff4946

Drives: 2010 RS 2LT
Don't worry, millions of other union members, and I will keep fighting so you can still live, in the most powerful country in the world, and one of the only countries to have those lazy union workers. Makes you wonder how we got that way without em. And I work in a place where safety is EXTREMELY important, and that makes it important to me, so there is a whole lot more than just money when it comes to unions. Does a college coarse make someone worth more? I am not on the side of business, I am on the side of everyday joes, who build the things that make our life easier.... like CAMAROS.
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold
jeff4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #122
formare
The Milano

No I'm pretty sure some are blue faced and some are white faced - and yea I did mean collar. Changing now, thank you.

Ps.... Imagine if I were serious about this comment: Go to you local ford store, test drive a mustang gt and just drive it home. Its ok tell them you report to me and I told you to.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #123
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Ps.... Imagine if I were serious about this comment: Go to you local ford store, test drive a mustang gt and just drive it home. Its ok tell them you report to me and I told you to.
You've got to be kidding....
Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #124
formare
The Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You've got to be kidding....
Of course I am. Corporations do things "illegal" all the time under the cover of corporate disputes or "differences in contract spirit". Taking the literal most direct interpretation of a corporations actions just highlights the crappyness of what they are doing. Just sayin.. If you or me had two employees running cars like allied and we said hey drive them to our storage yard tonight don't deliver them - we would be in jail in short order. Just my guess...
Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #125
Indecision14

Drives: 2011 SS/RS...6SP...IBM...
On a POSITIVE note....my dealer called the house this evening, my car IS NOT an Allied hostage, it's in NJ and being shipped to the dealer tomorrow.

Looks like I can pick her up Wednesday night.....the LONG wait is almost over.
Indecision14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #126
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecision14 View Post
On a POSITIVE note....my dealer called the house this evening, my car IS NOT an Allied hostage, it's in NJ and being shipped to the dealer tomorrow.

Looks like I can pick her up Wednesday night.....the LONG wait is almost over.
Awesome!!