Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
NYCSRTATE

Drives: Future ZL1 or CTS V Owner
ZL1 Pulley & Tune Projected HP/TQ?

Just thinking out loud.

Pulley, tune, long tubes how much are they leaving on the table for us to play with on the ZL1?

How much more will be able to get out of the LSA by upping the boost and getting the engine to breathe better?
NYCSRTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
jayman

Drives: 09 dodge ram
I'm guessing by looking at the lsa in the CTS-V that with pulleys, tune, exhaust you should be able to make 550+ to the wheels. Add a cam and larger injectors to that and you will easily be 600+
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Best I can tell you are only hp limited by $$$ and how much risk you are willing to take before detonation occurs to the destruction of engine internals.

Trust me I am no export on the matter but my investigatons would tend to show that once you begin pushing 700 RWHP, some serious consideration should be given to race fuel which is consistent in octane and contaminant free. Additonally, race fuel allows the tuner flexibility to tweak some fine points providing additional protection against detonation.

Chew up the meat and spit out the bones.
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I think you can go up about 3psi without changing much. headers and intake are not hard.

So I mean pumping the car up to 625-650bhp should not be hard or too expensive and could probbbaly be done with exhaust intake or pulley and tune.

I read some posts on CTS-v forums adding longtubes and pulley sometimes people did not end up with the same boost numbers as without.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
ZL WON

Drives: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I think you can go up about 3psi without changing much. headers and intake are not hard.

So I mean pumping the car up to 625-650bhp should not be hard or too expensive and could probbbaly be done with exhaust intake or pulley and tune.

I read some posts on CTS-v forums adding longtubes and pulley sometimes people did not end up with the same boost numbers as without.
When you open up the exhaust, as in adding headers or free flow exhaust, you loose boost. That's why people with CTS-Vs and ZR1s are loosing power. You have to compensate by changing out the pulleys. What I typically see when I modify ZR1s or any other supercharged build I do, I see at the most a 2lb loss in boost by adding headers and exhaust. If this is done to the ZL1 that will put the car at 8lbs of boost. I run my ZR1 at 16lbs. Anything over that, you'll have to run race gas. On my Escalade and Denali GMC truck I run 10lbs of boost and use the LS9 camshaft. My plan for my ZL1 is to mimic what I did for my ZR1, which is CNC'd heads, cam, upper and lower pulley, headers, upgraded after cooler and heat exchanger, upgraded supercharger coolant pump, one stage colder spark plugs and a few other tricks. I'll also add a 10-rib belt conversion to the ZL1 as well to prevent any belt slippage. I'll have all this done in about two weeks after receiving the car, as soon as we get our baseline RWHP number. I'll put the entire build on Camaro5.
ZL WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL WON View Post
When you open up the exhaust, as in adding headers or free flow exhaust, you loose boost. That's why people with CTS-Vs and ZR1s are loosing power. You have to compensate by changing out the pulleys. What I typically see when I modify ZR1s or any other supercharged build I do, I see at the most a 2lb loss in boost by adding headers and exhaust. If this is done to the ZL1 that will put the car at 8lbs of boost. I run my ZR1 at 16lbs. Anything over that, you'll have to run race gas. On my Escalade and Denali GMC truck I run 10lbs of boost and use the LS9 camshaft. My plan for my ZL1 is to mimic what I did for my ZR1, which is CNC'd heads, cam, upper and lower pulley, headers, upgraded after cooler and heat exchanger, upgraded supercharger coolant pump, one stage colder spark plugs and a few other tricks. I'll also add a 10-rib belt conversion to the ZL1 as well to prevent any belt slippage. I'll have all this done in about two weeks after receiving the car, as soon as we get our baseline RWHP number. I'll put the entire build on Camaro5.
yeah the post I read was a two very similar cars and the hp #'s were pretty similar but the car with longtubes had less 2lb's of boost they had the same pulley kit as the car without longtubes. they bough the pulley kit then threw the headers on and dyno'd the car I don't think they relized there would be a boost loss.

As long as you deal with a place that understands you whole mod list I am sure this is a non issue.

I don't think I will go near as far as you are going. I would like to get the strait line speed back to the Z06 I am selling to buy this car though. My wife will get angry at me if my penis shrinks in size cause my new car is slower than my old car.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Very much looking forward to following your progress
Old 11-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
ZL WON

Drives: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
My wife will get angry at me if my penis shrinks
Just do circles
ZL WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
Quote:
Just do circles

Who wants a helicopter ride, haha!
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
I'm guessing by looking at the lsa in the CTS-V that with pulleys, tune, exhaust you should be able to make 550+ to the wheels. Add a cam and larger injectors to that and you will easily be 600+
Your right in line..

We are starting a build for GM HIGHTECH on monday that is our stage 2 setup.LS9 Cam,Thermostat,Ported Throttlebody,Intake,Ported Throttlebody,.Ported Snout,2.55 upper pulley,63lb injectors.

Very Basic build for us and will make 590 rwhp or 110 over stock to the tires.

Look for the article about the time the ZL1 hits the market.

We also have 1 we are finishing tommorow that will make 650-670 to the tires that has more boost,Larger Cam,Lower compression,Headers.

I will post the build under forced induction on this one.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
so, what are we looking at if we just do the pulley/tune?
Or is this something y'all would not recommend?
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #12
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
so, what are we looking at if we just do the pulley/tune?
Or is this something y'all would not recommend?
2.55 PULLEY and tune will net you 40-45 rwhp on ctsv.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
2.55 PULLEY and tune will net you 40-45 rwhp on ctsv.
Is belt slip an issue with ctsv and this pulley?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
How much will the stock bottom end take safely before it becomes a problem?
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote