Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #267
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroTransAmFAM View Post
Its stupid to offer only a manual transmission,when the zr1 offers an automatic

Not really, it's a road racing car. That's what the original was built for and so is this one. Automatics aren't as well suited for road racing, unless it's he high end dual clutch paddle shifting nonsense the imports love.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #268
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
This is awesome. Kudos to GM but the name for it is horrible.

1LE?

Why make it blend into everything else. Non Camaro people will get it confused when talking about it.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #269
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
This isn't a ZL1......
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #270
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
This is awesome. Kudos to GM but the name for it is horrible.

1LE?

Why make it blend into everything else. Non Camaro people will get it confused when talking about it.

Heritage name? People who don't know Camaros don't know the significance of the ZL1 either?
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #271
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1sniper3x View Post
I find it funny how people are already saying that there's no way this thing keeps up with a Boss LS...we haven't seen ANY numbers from it yet guys! Remember when everyone flipped out, saying that without weight reduction, there was no way the ZL1 would be a respectable track car? Then it laid down a 7:41.27 on the Nurburgring. And easily handled the Boss LS. And beat the GT-R at VIR. Still want to make that claim?

The guys building and designing these cars for GM are engineers. As a mechanical engineer myself, I can tell you that if the car isn't right and it isn't going to do what it's supposed to do, it won't get built. How about we enjoy the fact that Chevy is adding another Camaro to the line-up for at least a few days before we start jumping to conclusions and saying that they got in wrong? Hell, how about for once we don't jump to conclusions on the performance before it even hits the track?

Personally, I'm extremely excited for this car, and I'm glad that I decided to wait for the 2013 model year to buy my Camaro. Now I have to decide if I want to add the 1LE package to my SS. If the price is right, Chevy might have one of their first buyers right here Decisions, decisions...

No need to reinvent the wheel. Wow... Love the comment Sniper! This IS a great offering from GM! What more could "an SS person" want? Improved exhaust, handling, suspension, style, performance! There is a lot of folks perfectly content with 426 HP that will be all over this! It certainly seems that it will "fill that gap" many have wanted up to and until "The Icon" returns!

PS: 3:91 final ratio is awesome!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #272
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Hot Damn, is this car hot!!! I mean, HOT!!!

An SS than can really handle! Not that the stock SS couldn't but this baby's gonna handle like it's on rails!

A cornering beast out of the box that us plebeians can afford!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #273
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Ugh this is why I hate buying with the first 2 years of a new model. All the cool stuff comes out and what should have been in the original model.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #274
frostbit3

Drives: 2011 1LT
So now the only thing I'd like to see in the 2013 Camaro is the proximity key and I'll be completely happy. The entertainment center is huge for me, I've been waiting for this for a while. I'm extremely pleased that Chevy has finally added this.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #275
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #276
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

Autos don't serve a driver well when running through a road course. I'd say even with paddle shifters it's not engineered to constantly row through gears at high RPMS, downshifting through corners, upshifting on the straights, and using the engine for braking.

The 6060 going into the 1LE is purpose built for constant up and down shifting at high revs and hot temps.

You try that on any automatic except for maybe a purpose built dual clutch F1 style transmission, and you're going to cook the fluid.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #277
GhostRS
Veteran

Drives: BLK 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna make it happen. I don't care how much it costs. It's way better than the aftermarket kits I've seen.

Definitely want to see it in action first, but so far Im on board with this as well
GhostRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #278
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsls3 View Post
Ugh this is why I hate buying with the first 2 years of a new model. All the cool stuff comes out and what should have been in the original model.

Maybe so...... But, we've had 2-3 years to mod....
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #279
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
For Immediate Release: Tuesday, March 27, 2012

2013 Camaro 1LE: 426-hp, 1g cornering, under $40,000
�� 1LE features Camaro ZL1-inspired chassis and suspension enhancements
�� 2013 Camaro LT, SS and ZL1 models available with MyLink infotainment system

DETROIT – The road-racing inspired Camaro 1LE performance package returns for 2013 with
unique gearing, suspension tuning, and tires that makes the model capable of more than 1 g of
lateral acceleration and a sub-three minute lap time at Virginia International Raceway’s Grand
Course. It is offered on Camaro SS coupes with manual transmissions.

“The Camaro 1LE combines the best elements of the SS and ZL1 to take road-racing
performance to a whole new level,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “That the 1LE
breaks the three-minute lap at VIR puts it in the upper echelon of performance cars. That it
starts under $40,000 makes the Camaro 1LE one of the most affordable, most capable trackday
cars offered by any manufacturer.”

In anticipation of consumers entering the 1LE in amateur-racing events, Chevrolet is pursuing
SCCA approval of the 1LE package for Touring Class competition.

For 2013, all Camaro SS models including the 1LE will feature standard variable-effort electric
power steering and an available dual-mode exhaust system. Both features were introduced on
the ZL1. Additionally, 2013 Camaro LT, SS and ZL1 models are available with Chevrolet’s color
touch radio with MyLink infotainment system.

“With the 2013 model year, Camaro offers something for almost every driver, including: the 323-
horsepower, 30-mpg 2LS; the all-new, 580-horsepower supercharged ZL1 convertible; the
COPO Camaro for drag-racing; and the new 1LE for amateur track days,” said John Fitzpatrick,
Camaro marketing manager. “We expect the range of choices, and enhancements for 2013, will
help Camaro remain America’s most-popular sports car.”

Camaro sales were up nearly 20 percent for the first two months of the year, building on an 8.5-
percent gain for all of 2011. The 1LE package goes on sale this fall with the 2013 Camaro line.
Pricing will be released later this year.

A heritage of handling
The Camaro 1LE package was introduced in 1988, inspired by Camaro’s involvement in Pro-Am
road racing.

For 2013, the 1LE package is offered only on 1SS and 2SS coupe models, featuring a 6.2L LS3
V-8, which is rated at 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb-ft of torque (569 Nm). In addition,
1LE is only available with a six-speed manual transmission.

While the Camaro SS features a Tremec TR6060-M10 for all-around performance, the Camaro
1LE features an exclusive Tremec TR6060-MM6. Paired with a numerically higher 3.91 finaldrive
ratio, the close-ratio gearing of the transmission is tuned for road-racing performance. As
with the ZL1, the 1LE transmission features a standard air-to-liquid cooling system for track use.
The 1LE also features exclusive, monotube rear dampers instead of the twin-tube dampers on
SS models. The new hardware allowed engineers to tune the 1LE suspension to focus on
optimal body-motion control while preserving much of the ride quality and wheel-motion control
of the Camaro SS.

Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:

�� Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved
body control

�� Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction

�� Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response

�� ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 11-inch aluminum wheels

�� 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires
for ZL1)

�� ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance

�� ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during
high-cornering

Visually, the 1LE package for 2013 is distinguished by its matte-black hood, front splitter and
rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels, which are finished in black. The
functional front splitter and rear spoiler contribute to the car’s on-track performance by helping
to reduce aerodynamic lift at high speeds.

Inside, the 1LE package incorporates the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in suededmicrofiber
and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack. The quick-acting,
short-throw shifter from the ZL1 is also trimmed in sueded microfiber.

Electric power steering and dual-mode exhaust bring ZL1 technology to SS models

All 2013 Camaro SS models, including the 1LE, will benefit from performance technologies that
debuted on the 580-horsepower Camaro ZL1.

The improvements began in 2012, when all SS Coupes incorporated the ZL1-derived chassis
element: Stabilizer bars with drop links repositioned outboard of the control arms. This made the
stabilizer bars four times more effective than in previous models, for improved control of body
roll and crisper response to steering input.

New for 2013, the electric power steering system developed for the ZL1 will be standard on all
2013 SS models. The variable ratio, variable effort system provides light efforts for easy
maneuverability at parking-lot speeds as well as increased resistance at higher speeds. This
provides more feedback, and a more direct steering feel, to the driver.

Also new for 2013 is an available dual-mode exhaust system, available on Camaro SS models
with the LS3 V8 engine and six-speed manual transmissions. Similar to the systems found on
the ZL1 and Corvette models, this vacuum-actuated system provides a quieter driving
experience at low engine speeds and a more aggressive sound at high engine speeds
MyLink connects you

Chevrolet’s color touch radio with MyLink infotainment is available on all 2013 Camaro LT, SS
and ZL1 models. The color touch radio, with a 7-inch touch screen, also can be paired with an
available in-dash GPS navigation system – a first for the Camaro.

The color touch radio with MyLink gives customers a higher level of in-vehicle wireless
connectivity and customized infotainment options, while building on the safety and security of
OnStar. It seamlessly integrates online services such as Pandora® internet radio and Stitcher
SmartRadio® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth-enabled phones.
MyLink adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smartphones, building on the voiceactivated
Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevy vehicles. The
high-resolution, full-color touch screen display makes media selection easy to navigate.

MyLink also retains all the capabilities of today’s entertainment functions, including
AM/FM/Sirius XM tuners, auxiliary and USB inputs.

Under 40k? God damn it I should have waited...ugh...

All good, still love my Camaro!
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #280
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
It should come with MRC
But most importantly, cool to see all the parts we can retrofit onto our cars. The nav is sweet, hope its good
But most importantly, that rear diffuser!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, 1le camaro, 1le forum, camaro 1le, camaro 1le forum, camaro performance package, camaro track pack, camaro track package, where's our z/28?