Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #43
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
yeah, but who knows if that is really true or not. we will see tomorrow for sure.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #44
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen View Post
Personally, if I wanted an auto, I would want the same V8 that comes with the manual to be an option. There's talk that the autos will come with the L99 and the manuals will come with the LS3. I wouldn't be too fond of this if the LS3 wasn't also an option for the auto. I can understand an auto only model that comes with the L99, but I would still want the LS3 as an option for the auto because I want the same power. Does anyone else feel the same?
It APPEARS the L99 is the L3 with AFM, etc, its a 6.2, but it has been rumored for quite some time that there would be a hp difference between the auto and the stick..I hear what you are saying, we should know a great deal more tommorrow
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #45
4thGen

Drives: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
It APPEARS the L99 is the L3 with AFM, etc, its a 6.2, but it has been rumored for quite some time that there would be a hp difference between the auto and the stick..I hear what you are saying, we should know a great deal more tommorrow
Well generally autos produce less power(rwhp) than manuals outright, so if I'm wanting an auto, I don't want to be restricted to buying an already less powerful engine. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow.
4thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #46
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen View Post
Personally, if I wanted an auto, I would want the same V8 that comes with the manual to be an option. There's talk that the autos will come with the L99 and the manuals will come with the LS3. I wouldn't be too fond of this if the LS3 wasn't also an option for the auto. I can understand an auto only model that comes with the L99, but I would still want the LS3 as an option for the auto because I want the same power. Does anyone else feel the same?
Honda follows this same principle. The Accord sedan and coupe with 5 speed automatics have the 3.5 V6 with AFM. On the Accord coupe, you can get a 6 speed manual, but you do not get AFM on the engine.

You cannot buy an automatic V6 without AFM. I will presume the same will be true for the Camaro L99 and LS3. I think the main reason for that is computer programing - they would need TWO ECMs for the automatic SSs, one for AFM and one without. That would increase production costs and decrease CAFE averages.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #47
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
That's what has me puzzled. If the story is to be believed it said that the V-8 auto would be the L99 w/395 hp w/AFM and that the standard would be getting the LS3 w/420 horses a 25 horse difference, now if it is the same engine why the huge gap in horses? Now the challenger R/T for example has 370hp for the auto w/MSD and 375hp w/o MSD for the standard just a five horse difference.
Now me personally it don't matter the L99'd still kick the R/T's butt anyways and barring some huge screwup like priceing the Camaro through the Roof I'm getting this car.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:08 AM   #48
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
That's what has me puzzled. If the story is to be believed it said that the V-8 auto would be the L99 w/395 hp w/AFM and that the standard would be getting the LS3 w/420 horses a 25 horse difference, now if it is the same engine why the huge gap in horses? Now the challenger R/T for example has 370hp for the auto w/MSD and 375hp w/o MSD for the standard just a five horse difference.
Now me personally it don't matter the L99'd still kick the R/T's butt anyways and barring some huge screwup like priceing the Camaro through the Roof I'm getting this car.
I don't understand the huge gap between the manual and auto either if the numbers are correct.. Anyone care to explain??
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #49
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
On the fuel front, my 2005 Monaro with an LS2 requires "premium" (that's 97RON here but I know the format is different to yours in the US) due to the compression ratio - making it cleaner but less easily supercharged/turbocharged.

The LS3 is no different (think it's 11:1) so I would fully expect the Camaro to need higher-octane fuel.
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #50
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
just learn to drive stick. you can learn in a week. but in that week there will be a LOT of tire marks
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #51
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
now if it is the same engine why the huge gap in horses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I don't understand the huge gap between the manual and auto either if the numbers are correct.. Anyone care to explain??
No explanation...yet. There will be a hp discrepancy; one has AFM, and one doesn't - so it's inevitable. But keep in mind that most of the numbers released aren't...accurate. This was a British car site that 'leaked' everything, and the disciples are making it clear that the text is wrong. So wait until this afternoon, and you'll get more complete answers.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #52
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I would have to guess the reason for the large discrepency in HP between AFM and non-AFM is for fuel economy. They are probably really congnisant of fuel numbers, and their logic is those who buy the automatic aren't as "purist" or "enthusiast" as those who buy stick, so, a significant decrease in HP numbers won't bother those who opt for the slush box.

If you want power and the ability to modify, and don't care about fuel economy, buy stick
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #53
shank0668

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I would have to guess the reason for the large discrepency in HP between AFM and non-AFM is for fuel economy. They are probably really congnisant of fuel numbers, and their logic is those who buy the automatic aren't as "purist" or "enthusiast" as those who buy stick, so, a significant decrease in HP numbers won't bother those who opt for the slush box.

If you want power and the ability to modify, and don't care about fuel economy, buy stick
but sticks get better gas mileage thans autos
Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #54
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
but sticks get better gas mileage thans autos
not true. At least...not anymore.

But still, wait for 4PM, those numbers are WRONG.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #55
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Unfortunately I've got to work this afternoon , so I'll see it tonight. Now, I've been thinking about this, could GM be taking gas prices in mind with the L99? Remember awhile back Scott said to forget everything we knew about engines for the Camaro. Could the L99 be geared for regular unleaded and be set up for FlexFuel (Would that explaine the difference in HP?) where the LS3 would run on super unleaded. Yeah, I know, we'll have to wait for this afternoon for the real answers, but what do you think about this theory? Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No explanation...yet. There will be a hp discrepancy; one has AFM, and one doesn't - so it's inevitable. But keep in mind that most of the numbers released aren't...accurate. This was a British car site that 'leaked' everything, and the disciples are making it clear that the text is wrong. So wait until this afternoon, and you'll get more complete answers.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #56
shank0668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
not true. At least...not anymore.

But still, wait for 4PM, those numbers are WRONG.
hmmmmmmm my brothers 5 speed g5 gets better mpg than the auto