Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Legend96

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red
Spare tire question

I'm writing this because I've already had a flat tire on my previous 2011 SS. I no longer have it, and have a ZL1 now. My question is, I'm trying to verify if what I've heard is true, that you can fit a small gm spare tire in the trunk, however with some sort of spacer because of the bembro calipers!
My objective, having already experienced this is to get this small spare tire, leave it in the car, just enough to get me home, and I have a full sized regular tire and rim at home in my garage that I can use until i get my tire repaired.

The way i understand this works is, u take the flat tire off, bold on the spacer, then bolt the spare to the spacer. The spacer gives the spare enough clearence to clear the brake calipers.

So once again, the main question is, if i aquire the gm spare, jack, and associated hardware to keep in the car, can i get this spacer somewhere for that tire to fit the car?

This will be for very short term, just to get me home to put the full sized spare on. If i take any long trip, i'll bring the full sized spare in the trunk!

thanks
Legend96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
This would be great if it works, but the rear Brembos are so large, I don't see how a spacer would fix the clearance problem. Will the spacer idea work on the SS?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
ZoomZoom
R6P Owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
ask Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet. I purchased a full size (8in) polished ss wheel and tire to put in my wifes 2010 ss or my z when we go very far. She mentioned the spacer when I talked with her about a month ago.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
If you use a spacer doesn't it reduce the threads available for the nut to tighten down properly?
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
The wheel studs hold the spacer on. The spacer has studs in it to hold the wheel on. There are 5 countersunk holes and 5 studs on the spacer.

What thickness does this spacer need to be? What is the part # for the wheel/tire assy?
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #6
N2O

Drives: Camaro ZL1
anybody got any solutions as of yet?
Old 02-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Spare Wheel Spacer

Being nutty for wheels I run two different sets of wheels on my 2014 Camaro. I have the original 20" factory as well as a set of 21". This causes a bit of a dilemma when it comes to a spare tire.

When the girl is wearing her 21" shoes I put an inflator kit in the trunk.

When she decides to show off her 20" shoes I put the spare doughnut back into the spare compartment.

I do have "Brembo" brakes also, yes this would be a problem as the spare wheel will not go over the Brembo calipers.

From EBay I purchased a "hub centric & wheel centric" 2" spacer. This spacer has 14 X 1.5MM studs, conical seats and with nuts. For the 2" I paid $44.99 shipped.

There is an EBay seller that has 1.5" thick spacers and advertising they also will clear the Brembo calipers, his selling price is $44.88 with $6.95 shipping. Seller is located out of Marshfield, Massachusetts.

Though I have never had to use my spare I did mount the spacer and spare just to make sure everything worked as advertised, it did.

Granted I would not be driving for long distance nor at march-1 with a doughnut spare.

I will also attach a picture of the one that is for sale on EBay, mine looks exactly like this but 2" and mine came out of Florida.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
The wheel studs hold the spacer on. The spacer has studs in it to hold the wheel on. There are 5 countersunk holes and 5 studs on the spacer.

What thickness does this spacer need to be? What is the part # for the wheel/tire assy?
I am running a 2" spacer while I know of a 1.5" spacer that others say will work for the Gen 5.

The actual factory doughnut spare tire of course only came with the V6 Camaros, this was build code "NYD". This would give you the doughnut spare, jack and jack handle, all stowed in the trunk spare compartment.

I have seen a few on EBay but the prices seem to run quite high, around $300.00 for a mint complete setup with free shipping.

Here is a picture of a complete setup from EBay.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #9
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Performance spare
https://performancespare.com/?route=...facturer_id=13