Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
How many people have used the D3 heat exchanger for ZL1 ?

I just got a D3ep hex and after looking at it after it was installed its installed on the top in front of the radiator and seems to cover up almost all of the condenser.
I started looking at other hex's and they all seem to mount below the support leaving a lot of room for air to pass through the a/c etc..
I know this is a large unit ,but I guess i am wondering who else has used this unit,and what the results turned out to be.
When i went and looked at hex for a SC on the ss models they mount on the bottom.
Has anyone had any over heating issues or warm a/c in the middle of a hot day ?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Nope, my car still cools just fine. If you haven't already I suggest using a bottle or two of super coolant in there.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
gen=5

yeah fastlane put it in there when they installed it with the coolant res. Well I hope there is more than just you and me that have input on it,so i get a good amount of information about it.
how long have you had yours in,and has your engine temp gone up at all ? are you telling me to put it in because the temp does go up some in traffic or to help with IAT.
I cant find anything bad written about it,and i was read it was one of the better ones as far as reducing IAT because its a 3x pass. I am not worried about it at speed ,just in traffic,and the fact that my car may spend up to 20mins at a time idling while i am in it.
If anyone looking at it will notice there is almost no space left for air to get through. the hex covers up almost everything. Evan who is a really nice guy explained that he believes the factory fans to be more than enough to keep the car cool.
what i have noticed about other brands seem that the hex's that are mounted below are not as tall do not have fans,but other which are just as tall but thinner that covers up the front have extra fans,although Evan said that the fans a speed slow down and even block the air coming through.
thoughts I just can not have any over heating as i am disabled and it would be a real PIA, I might be worrying for nothing but better safe than sorry lol thks
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I was the prototype car for this HX. I can confirm that on the rare occasion my a/c would stop blowing cold. However, this was only on 100* plus days, sitting completely still on a blacktop parking lot with other cars around me. Never had it happen on the road. I just turned the a/c off for a few mins, and then it comes back on. Im more than willing to live with this as the cooling capabilities of the HX is second to none. Dave at D3PE specifically designed this to be the biggest HX, which means it covers the most surface area.
Mods: ID850 Injectors; D3PE HX, Reservoir & Atmospheric Catch-Can; LPE 2.55 Upper & 9.1 Lower Pulleys w/ ATI Damper; LPE Idler Pulley Relocation Bracket; "Green" Serp. Belt; Cat delete;ADM Exhaust Override; Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler (in addition to stock mufflers); Cold Air Inductions CAI; 160 thermostat; LS9 Isolator; Port/polish snout and intake runners; LPE GT9 camshaft with dual springs and titanium retainers; Kenne Bell BAP, Install and Engine Tune by Serious Hp; Fab work by D3 Performance Engineering; Trans Tune by Keith; Coming Soon: Flex Fuel Conversion.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
I just got a D3ep hex and after looking at it after it was installed its installed on the top in front of the radiator and seems to cover up almost all of the condenser.
I started looking at other hex's and they all seem to mount below the support leaving a lot of room for air to pass through the a/c etc..
I know this is a large unit ,but I guess i am wondering who else has used this unit,and what the results turned out to be.
When i went and looked at hex for a SC on the ss models they mount on the bottom.
Has anyone had any over heating issues or warm a/c in the middle of a hot day ?
I have the heat hex and the D3 coolant res and with 738 RWHP have never had one problem with overheating..... Even in traffic. No worries gen=5
G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Matt@510
Account Suspended

Drives: c6 vette cam & full bolt-ons
We use the D3 HEX's. we have tried several before and through testing have found these to be some the best preforming units. we have been monitoring cars all summer long here in houston with them installed and have yet to see any adverse affects to engine cooling or A/C. with cars making 700 rwhp heat is allways something to be concerned about. we keep in close contact with customers to make sure everything is with in tolerance. we are very pleased with these units and will continue to use them.
Matt@510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
gen=5

THANK YOU everyone
Old 10-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
mmarx82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
I was the prototype car for this HX. I can confirm that on the rare occasion my a/c would stop blowing cold. However, this was only on 100* plus days, sitting completely still on a blacktop parking lot with other cars around me. Never had it happen on the road. I just turned the a/c off for a few mins, and then it comes back on. Im more than willing to live with this as the cooling capabilities of the HX is second to none. Dave at D3PE specifically designed this to be the biggest HX, which means it covers the most surface area.
You probably have an overfilled AC system. There are a few threads around here where people have had this problem and temp workaround was to turn the AC off like you mentioned. It usually only happens when it's really hot out. Taking out 1-2 oz has been shown to fix the problem.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the tip. Had not heard that.
Mods: ID850 Injectors; D3PE HX, Reservoir & Atmospheric Catch-Can; LPE 2.55 Upper & 9.1 Lower Pulleys w/ ATI Damper; LPE Idler Pulley Relocation Bracket; "Green" Serp. Belt; Cat delete;ADM Exhaust Override; Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler (in addition to stock mufflers); Cold Air Inductions CAI; 160 thermostat; LS9 Isolator; Port/polish snout and intake runners; LPE GT9 camshaft with dual springs and titanium retainers; Kenne Bell BAP, Install and Engine Tune by Serious Hp; Fab work by D3 Performance Engineering; Trans Tune by Keith; Coming Soon: Flex Fuel Conversion.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
gen=5

yeah just put the gauges on when it gets really hot,and if the head pressure is over 245 with the low over 65 its over filled for sure.. another words high readings on both sides its over filled..or there could be air in the system also which means suck it down again for a couple of hrs and re fill it again..
But I would not think the a/c had to be opened up to just change out the heat Xer does it ?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
mmarx82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
yeah just put the gauges on when it gets really hot,and if the head pressure is over 245 with the low over 65 its over filled for sure.. another words high readings on both sides its over filled..or there could be air in the system also which means suck it down again for a couple of hrs and re fill it again..
But I would not think the a/c had to be opened up to just change out the heat Xer does it ?
No the A/C system can be left alone, you don't even have to take the front bumper off like was shown in your pic above, As a matter of fact I thought leaving it in made installing the new one easier.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
gen=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
No the A/C system can be left alone, you don't even have to take the front bumper off like was shown in your pic above, As a matter of fact I thought leaving it in made installing the new one easier.
I don't know but its pretty freaking big,I think I remember the instructions stating it had to come off the car in order to install it
Old 10-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Been think hard lately about doin this D3 HX and res to my car.

Seems like a good idea to keep the temps down on track days....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote