Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #57
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP'N B View Post
Sway Bars
With these foundational elements (sub-frame inserts or full bushes and radius / tension inserts or bushes) in place your Camaro is ready for the final tuning element. Pedders Solution A 27mm front bar will reduce body lean and roll resulting in a more enjoyable drive for the vast majority of Camaro drivers. We call Solution A the Daily Driver. Driving down the highway and moderately sport speed turns there is less body lean and roll. Driven past 7/10s there is a noticeable increase in understeer. For the many Camaro owners upgrading the front bar with radius and sub-frame bush inserts are the ONLY modifications they will ever need or want.

For the more sporting Camaro driver a set of 27mm front and 32mm rear bars are the solution. This is our updated Solution B. Solution B creates a well balanced 5th Gen with a bias to oversteer. With the front bar set to full soft and the rear bar set to full hard your 5th Gen is track ready. You wanted oversteer. You got it now. In the rain, cold weather and snow these sway bar settings create a very loose car and must be driven with caution. Respect it. If your driving skills are not NASA or SCCA levels, tone the bars down. Set the front bar to full hard and the rear bar to full soft. As you grow comfortable with the new balance of your Camaro move the front bar a hole to the soft side. That is the beauty of Solution B. Solution B puts you in control of your setup from well balanced daily driver to track ready. I read THE BOOK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiG View Post
Heh, fair enough. I was a little tired while writing that, re-reading it now is kind of embarrassing. But I get what you're saying about it being zero sum. I suppose I was likening it too much to my R/C touring car racing days. Lots of similarities, but still not exactly the same. Anyway, thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #58
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Howdy. I spy some Solution B bars. Actually, I don't. Help me get bars! haha.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #59
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
ZL1/1LE rear sway bar in the rear with a SS front sway is a nicely balanced street setup for SS camaro! Thanks Pete
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #60
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro500 View Post
ZL1/1LE rear sway bar in the rear with a SS front sway is a nicely balanced street setup for SS camaro! Thanks Pete
My pleasure.

FYI -- The JPSS Adjustable 27mm front and 32mm rear bars are now in stock.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #61
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Hey pete I'm interested in your z/28 light kit for my 14 v6 I noticed your kit comes with a lot of oem gm parts as well as some of your products. I was wondering for sways if I added your blak magic sways to the package if it would perform even better?

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #62
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
Hey pete I'm interested in your z/28 light kit for my 14 v6 I noticed your kit comes with a lot of oem gm parts as well as some of your products. I was wondering for sways if I added your blak magic sways to the package if it would perform even better?
Is the sky blue?
Is water wet?

YES!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #63
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
My pleasure.

FYI -- The JPSS Adjustable 27mm front and 32mm rear bars are now in stock.
September, Pete, September.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #64
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
September, Pete, September.
Kick back.

I wonder what brand...
Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #65
StlRomAniaN

Quote:
Kick back.

I wonder what brand...
Maybe JPSS. Maybe.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #66
ramey36
Racer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
How does this platform react to Big Bar Soft Spring vs Medium Bar Medium Spring or Soft Bar Heavy Spring? I'm wondering specifically for auto-x and road race. Is the same setup good for both?

ramey
ramey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #67
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramey36 View Post
How does this platform react to Big Bar Soft Spring vs Medium Bar Medium Spring or Soft Bar Heavy Spring? I'm wondering specifically for auto-x and road race. Is the same setup good for both?

ramey
In gneral, the Z/28 is as close as you get to a soft bar big spring setup, but with DSSV firm dampers and the bars are not that small.

DSE is an advocate of that style and even on a very light 5th Gen we built, lighter than a C7 Z06 we had to double the front spring rate on the DSE / JRI front coilovers nd add 100 pounds to the rear.

What is the setup on your Camaro?
Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #68
ramey36
Racer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
It currently has an Afco street Kit on it but I don't know the rates. The sway bars are big.

I'm an oval track guy so I like all this stuff. Just don't know much about the platform.
ramey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #69
Inferno1LE

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS 1LE
Hey Pete, I've been running the good old Permagrin package for 3 years now and still love it. I just picked up the Z/28 DSSV dampers from another forum member. Should I keep using the 32mm/27mm sway bars I have, or do you have something else for me? Also, I run 18x10's with r7's or Continental slicks.

Last edited by Inferno1LE; 06-27-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Inferno1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #70
maxxmoto

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
I have been hesitant to reply due to market place correctness. In the example you mention, understeer will be increased. Many suspension companies brought out similar bar sets and then began to revise them for improved performance. I have been a big rear / smaller front bar guy since day one for the Camaro with our first bar sets 27mm front and 32mm rear. Why? Because it worked.

Suspension tuning is a zero sum game. Better handling through higher damping, sway bar or spring rates has a corresponding drop in ride comfort. If we are not changing the tire contact patch to improve handling we are in a zero sum game with total traction. In an automobile like a Camaro with heavy understeer properties, where the rear IRS is superior to the virtual pivot front, to reduce understeer we do what we can to increase front grip and also reduce rear grip.
This has been a very interesting and informative thread!

My question to you, Pete is, does the 27/32 ratio apply to a square tire & wheel setup, or is that different? I'm looking at a 20x10 ET27 wheel with 285/35s on all four corners.

Thanks!! Maxx
maxxmoto is offline   Reply With Quote