Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Camaro Convertible Antenna?

Why does the convertible have a horse whip antenna? IMO I truly believe GM should integrate the AM/FM antenna into the body since it takes away from it's looks, but why don't they?

I saw a 2002 Ford Thunderbird (Which has a removable top) in a parking lot and noticed it didn't have a mast antenna. I was looking at it close to see how they did it and discovered how. It had a thin wire going down the center of the windshield which I assume was a window grid antenna. I said to myself that was a smart idea. The Corvette Convertible also has an integrated AM/FM antenna, I don't know where they put it but it looks so much better without it. Some cars even integrate the AM/FM antenna into the rear spoiler.

So why can't you do for the Camaro Convertible GM? People will have to spend thousands more for the convertible, I don't think it would cost you too much to do. I mean everyone here complains about the Shark Fin on the Coupe, but I think this horse whip antenna for the convertible looks far worse.

Just posted this to see what people thought about it, I would like input from people with more knowledge than me on the subject. For you guys that wanted the Camaro Convertible however I found a cool mod you can do if you want to get rid of the antenna, found here:

http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/s...ntennae&page=2

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/...a%20Delete.htm

I know it's a Mustang Convertible, but I would assume the process is similar.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
speedbroker
Custom Instigator

Drives: Acura TSX
Yeah, I am none to happy about this either. We are looking at the AM/FM horse whip and the the On Star on the trunk. I know you can buy much smaller knob antenna for the AM/FM but I am hopinh we do not get stuck with two eye sores. At a minimum you think they would be able to incorporate them both into 1..
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbroker View Post
Yeah, I am none to happy about this either. We are looking at the AM/FM horse whip and the the On Star on the trunk. I know you can buy much smaller knob antenna for the AM/FM but I am hopinh we do not get stuck with two eye sores. At a minimum you think they would be able to incorporate them both into 1..
No reason for this car to have either antenna, both antenna's can be integrated into the body. I think GM is just cheaping out on this car. I can live with the shark fin if they colored it, but I just can't stand that whip antenna. Sticks out too much.

Even the knob antenna doesn't do it for me, you still have the knob and that ugly base.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
i would say the horse whip wont be there for production, im guessing its a test antenna of some sort

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipj3 View Post
i would say the horse whip wont be there for production, im guessing its a test antenna of some sort
Thats what I am hoping for, but I am still concerned. Do you remember when Saturn and Pontiac started showing the the Sky/Solstice? The show models didn't have a visible AM/FM antenna. Then when they started mass producing them for dealerships/sales it had an ugly mast antenna even though the concept/show cars didn't.

Can someone on the inside comment if this horse whip antenna will be on the production car?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
speedbroker
Custom Instigator

Drives: Acura TSX
Here is to hoping it is was... I still think they should be following japanese and european car companies with the color coded smaller shark fins if they feel the need for an external antenna of any sort. At a bare minimum they should offer it with the RS packages on both the 6 and 8 cylinders.

The Fbodfather would be the one in the know..

Last edited by speedbroker; 09-13-2008 at 06:36 PM.
speedbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbroker View Post
Here is to hoping it is was... I still think they should be following japanese and european car companies with the color coded smaller shark fins if they feel the need for an external anntena of any sort. at a bare minimum they should offer it with the RS packages on both the 6 and 8 cylinders.

The Fbodfather would be the one in the know..
At the minimum I hope they offer a delete on the mast antenna and a integrated AM/FM antenna option. Along with a colored shark fin.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
camaro&T/A

Drives: '82 Z28 400SB
i'm sure they just threw the mast on the mule because mules aren't supposed to be perdy, I bet the production car won't have it. the coupe doesn't...
camaro&T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro&T/A View Post
i'm sure they just threw the mast on the mule because mules aren't supposed to be perdy, I bet the production car won't have it. the coupe doesn't...
Yea, but in the coupe they put the antenna in the rear window. They can't do that in the convertible.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Zieke
Camaro Deprived

Drives: 78 Camaro, 00 Tahoe, 10 Cobalt
Send a message via MSN to Zieke
the windshield integrated antenna is not new. my 78 camaro came with it. and i got a new windshield recently that still had the antenna running through it. its really not that hard to do at all. Maybe someone is paying GM to screw us over?

Joined Active Navy: 10-28-08
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zieke View Post
the windshield integrated antenna is not new. my 78 camaro came with it. and i got a new windshield recently that still had the antenna running through it. its really not that hard to do at all. Maybe someone is paying GM to screw us over?
Unbelievable.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
DMX

Drives: CrownVic,Suburban,Silverado,F150
I know they have antennas that they use on test cars to talk to the other test cars - hopefully thats all it is.
DMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMX View Post
I know they have antennas that they use on test cars to talk to the other test cars - hopefully thats all it is.
You mean CB radio's? If so I don't think so since CB radio antenna's are much taller than the horse whip antenna seen on the Camaro Convertible.