Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
Texas_craig

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Low oil pressure

I have a 2010 Camaro ss with 90,000 miles with DOD delete and Stage 1 Texas Speed cam and SLP 2300 supercharger that I recently installed tuned to right at 600hp.. I just noticed today that HWY driving and Idle it seemed to be running low oil pressure ? around 15-18 psi but close to 30psi at 2000 rpm and on up to around 45psi at WOT. Should I be worried at the idle pressure ? I should have replace the oil pump when i did cam and lifters and delete but did not.

Any suggestion ? I plan on checking it manually soon to verify that the gauge is correct but lets assume it is for now.
Texas_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
The pump in the L99 isn't prone to fail...there are exceptions to every rule....id say your ok.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
A manual gauge will tell you for sure if it is that low. Its not your pump if you have that much PSI at WOT. Do you remember what the pressure was before the cam and the SC? If it is significantly lower at idle after the cam, I'd be a little concerned about cam bearings. If it was like this before the install, you are probably ok. A worn cam bearing can cause low oil pressure at idle for sure. Do you do the install yourself or did a shop do it? If it was a shop, I'd be questioning them and let them know the idle pressure is low after the swap. They could have been a little aggressive jamming the cam in there and nicked them up. My LS3 is at 30psi at idle after warm up with 130K miles.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Well for one with a stock block your about double the boost you most likely should be running if your 15-18 psi.....?, your not doing well in the oil pressure may mean the screen is clogged by the sensor behind the manifold, or other things that are not so friendly. Just for example..my fully forged N/A runs with a high volume pump which the l99 comes with stock...maybe not so ported as mine etc....anyway I never get to 30 at idle I am more like 40 PSI running very hot, I am up about 70 on cold start and it goes down slowly. I do not know what oil your running or what idle you have...…..
I use driven racing oil ls30 made for a modified engine...…..you may have seen it on some vendors sites. Of course the way you wrote it I don't know if your boost is 15-18 psi or that's your very low oil pressure at what idle? I would say the 30 psi at 2000 rpm I am more like 40-50... And I would say the idle should be about 950 with most aftermarket cams though yours is mild. The numerous things that can affect oil pressure are so many to list....not knowing who installed the cam and how long its been in there, the state of the lifters and their age, the state of the springs, the Preload, etc etc......its not worth hazarding a guess. here a old article still true I have posted over and over...…….

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...parts-failure/