Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #15
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
I'm going to guess it is not the cam but the actual tune, depending on the tune aggressive or conservative you can make more power in lieu of more drivetrain damage risk.
I was wondering that as well. If I ever do more to it, which I hope to, I might take it to another tuner just to get second opinions.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #16
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Ive seen the TSP stage 2 centri cam make 475 on M6 dyno jet with bolt ons before the blower install.

Did you communicate with the tuner at all about the tune? Some tuners just wanna line em up and knockem out. $500 a pop, next. Good tuners can see problems in your data logs (caugh caugh, thanks Ted) and make suggestions for you change something in your setup that might be making the car unhappy.

How much did you pay for the tune, and how long did it take? Was there any street tuning involved? Hows the idle? Hows it drive?
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #17
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frey.199 View Post
I didn't talk to them much about the tune itself. I just haven't gotten around to doing it honestly. I had taken it back in though because I had a CEL light at one point and thought my idle was odd.

The tune it itself was about $600 I believe. I'm not sure how long it took, because I dropped it off for the day and picked it up the following day. They said they did a street tune I believe from what I remember. Drove it around they said. The idle seems low, idk though. At least lower than other stage 3 cam cars. I'm around the 600-700 mark I believe. Seems to drive alright I think. I'm so used to it now though lol.
I'd bet a "street tune" means they dumped in a canned tune from a similarly modded car and drove it around the parking lot. It probably has several degrees less timing than MBT, and who knows where your AFR is (the scarier part).

A REAL street tune would involve a wideband and logging, changing, and logging again to get it right. Not as good as a dyno to guarantee max power, but pretty close if you spend the time to do it right. Put it on a drag strip or half mile, and you can definitely get it right based on trap speed. You should certainly be making more power in your current setup.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:21 AM   #18
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
I'd bet a "street tune" means they dumped in a canned tune from a similarly modded car and drove it around the parking lot. It probably has several degrees less timing than MBT, and who knows where your AFR is (the scarier part).

A REAL street tune would involve a wideband and logging, changing, and logging again to get it right. Not as good as a dyno to guarantee max power, but pretty close if you spend the time to do it right. Put it on a drag strip or half mile, and you can definitely get it right based on trap speed. You should certainly be making more power in your current setup.
Yea, I've wondered the same thing ha. Think I might look for another tuner! Not to mention, when I asked them to put a high torque starter in, they didn't know to clock it to make it fit.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #19
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
My tune probably is the poster child for mild tunes. Initially, I was looking to get rid of AFM and just kinda checked most of the boxes to keep stock. Part II: I asked my tuner if there was something still left on the table. Of course there was. So we went with his "aggressive" tune. Firm shifts was the noticeable difference. A few months later I had a torque converter fail.

Who knows if there was a correlation or not. Aggressive shifts, loss of TC? You decide. In any event, I'm still a little gun shy to load the aggressive tune back in. What say Y'all?
Old 03-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #20
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
My tune probably is the poster child for mild tunes. Initially, I was looking to get rid of AFM and just kinda checked most of the boxes to keep stock. Part II: I asked my tuner if there was something still left on the table. Of course there was. So we went with his "aggressive" tune. Firm shifts was the noticeable difference. A few months later I had a torque converter fail.

Who knows if there was a correlation or not. Aggressive shifts, loss of TC? You decide. In any event, I'm still a little gun shy to load the aggressive tune back in. What say Y'all?
See post 5
Old 03-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #21
Big Biscuits

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3
Learn to do it yourself. That’s the best advise I can give you. Or at least buy the hardware to check things and log. I always tell my techs in the shop to never trust a fellow mechanic. Double check for peace of mind.
Big Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #22
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
See post 5
Wow, finally the answer I was looking for, Ted. My gut said the trans wasn't 'happy.' That begs the next question(s): I presume I need to start over with a new hand-held and your tune, correct? I can't use your tune on my SCAT, right? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #23
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Wow, finally the answer I was looking for, Ted. My gut said the trans wasn't 'happy.' That begs the next question(s): I presume I need to start over with a new hand-held and your tune, correct? I can't use your tune on my SCAT, right? Thanks.
The SCT device will accept custom tunes from any SCT tuner in the industry.

Feel free to call with any questions.

Ted.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #24
Moto-Mojo

I’m no longer the poster child for mild tunes. Hooked up with Mr. Jannetty. Happier than the proverbial pig in shit! Thanks, Ted.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #25
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I’m no longer the poster child for mild tunes. Hooked up with Mr. Jannetty. Happier than the proverbial pig in shit! Thanks, Ted.
Thank you for your business.