Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #323
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
So Al O, and the GM guys who just posted the sub 12 sec 1/4 mile are liars? So is Motor Trend on the GM payroll too, because they hit a sub 12 sec 1/4 mile on stock tires and a 3.7 0 to 60

I am not saying these great numbers by the ZL1 can be done all the time, but they have been done (by GM and MT) now live with it. You don't see more ZL1s on the track, because most are still new and maybe they are following the suggested break in schedule and maybe thats why the ZL1s at the tuner shops posted slower times

Furthermore, you Mustang folk need to be asking the Ford guys where the numbers are for this Super Shelby. Its almost summer and not one single performance number besides the HP

Lot of barking from the Ford Boys but no bite yet from the Shelby. Please see below

2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #324
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
So many will be eating crow when the bad ass snake comes out to feast on the ZL1. It won't be easier to drive but bad ass it will be. I don't want it. I will be quite happy with having the second place car.
What is patthetic is some of you who just last week gave up the straight line race to the snake and switched your argument to the roadcourse. Now listen to you bandwagoners switch argument again. Pathetic.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #325
jleews6

Drives: mustangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
Well I ran my stock 2012 GT500 with 200 miles on it at the track Wednesday on the stock tires. Only thing I did was ice down the blower between runs. Here is a pic of some of the slips................
Good runs and good 60 for the first time out. Keep at it and it will be in the 11s. I know icing the blower on my friends Cobra made a difference. I cant remember how much but it was quicker. I never got to try it on my Cobra but just letting it cool and pushing it through the lanes was better.
jleews6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #326
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Well I ran my stock 2012 GT500 with 200 miles on it at the track Wednesday on the stock tires. Only thing I did was ice down the blower between runs. Here is a pic of some of the slips................
Your track didn't use enough VHT, clearly the stock tires are good for 1.6 60's
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #327
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
What do you mean by that? Faster than their own personal time without launch control or faster than the 11.9? I think your average driver is going to be new to drag racing and have no idea how to handle the power.
Yes, their own personal best. Maybe if they have never raced a car before and did only two runs at the track, one with and one without, then launch control might be faster. But after you make a couple runs not using launch control always wins in all the cars I have personally seen at the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I was stating that people should be accurate with their statements so there would be no misinformation spread, and, therefore, there would be no need for corrections.
You must be new to this site.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #328
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
So many will be eating crow when the bad ass snake comes out to feast on the ZL1. It won't be easier to drive but bad ass it will be. I don't want it. I will be quite happy with having the second place car.
What is patthetic is some of you who just last week gave up the straight line race to the and switched your argument to the roadcourse. Now listen to you bandwagoners switch argument again. Pathetic.
Since Ford released the HP number for the Shelby (the day the ZL1 numbers were released), I knew they would more than likely be faster in a straight line. Hell, the Shelby comes out after the ZL1 (Ford probably has a ZL1) if it was not faster what a epic FAIL. If you give me enough money I can make my Denali faster in a straight line than a 2013 Shelby. About the roadcourse who knows, to me thats all about the driver, but the ZL1s road handling bits would even make Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear crack a smile. The Ford on the other hand they will still be comparing to the chariot from Ben Hur.

They both are great cars, but right now the ZL1 has hit a nice performance milestone (that has been proven TWICE) us Camaro boys just want to enjoy it. If the numbers posted earlier had been on drag tires I would be with you doing this BUT THEY WERE NOT
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #329
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
I am surprised that the amount of members on here, the biggest camaro forum around
haven`t been to the drag strip yet? I know the first thing people will say it`s not a drag car.... because it didn`t post earth shattering times by all the mags...
but GM seems to say otherwise...

It really is shocking that only tuners are hitting the track because when the SS came out it was game on at the strip.

Just wondering if some members have but the times were not great and didn`t want to post anything but a hero run time..

Time will tell
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #330
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee

Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
Your track didn't use enough VHT, clearly the stock tires are good for 1.6 60's
LOL!!!!! Trruuuuu!!!
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #331
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
We agree, but I'm pretty sure the poster was referencing Big Al when has erroneously stated "top brass".
Isn't that first for you and Goldenbear?

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #332
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
You must be new to this site.
Hope springs eternal.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #333
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
I am surprised that the amount of members on here, the biggest camaro forum around
haven`t been to the drag strip yet? I know the first thing people will say it`s not a drag car.... because it didn`t post earth shattering times by all the mags...
but GM seems to say otherwise...

It really is shocking that only tuners are hitting the track because when the SS came out it was game on at the strip.

Just wondering if some members have but the times were not great and didn`t want to post anything but a hero run time..

Time will tell

The SS is a 30 something thousand dollar car, the ZL1 is a 60K car and possibly a collectors car. I believe most people are just taking it easy till the motor gets broken in. Other than that there are less than a thousand ZL1s on the road right now, half of which may not be members of C5.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #334
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
iced blower = MOD

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #335
JimmyDeanSausage
Banned

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Since Ford released the HP number for the Shelby (the day the ZL1 numbers were released), I knew they would more than likely be faster in a straight line. Hell, the Shelby comes out after the ZL1 (Ford probably has a ZL1) if it was not faster what a epic FAIL. If you give me enough money I can make my Denali faster in a straight line than a 2013 Shelby. About the roadcourse who knows, to me thats all about the driver, but the ZL1s road handling bits would even make Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear crack a smile. The Ford on the other hand they will still be comparing to the chariot from Ben Hur.

They both are great cars, but right now the ZL1 has hit a nice performance milestone (that has been proven TWICE) us Camaro boys just want to enjoy it. If the numbers posted earlier had been on drag tires I would be with you doing this BUT THEY WERE NOT
Motortrend did not run an 11. They ran a 12.6 or so at 4400' and then corrected it for elevation.

Think about the implications of running a very high HP car at high elevations and then pretending its the exact same thing as actually running the corrected time at sea level. It isn't, for pretty obvious reasons.
JimmyDeanSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #336
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeanSausage View Post
Motortrend did not run an 11. They ran a 12.6 or so at 4400' and then corrected it for elevation.

Think about the implications of running a very high HP car at high elevations and then pretending its the exact same thing as actually running the corrected time at sea level. It isn't, for pretty obvious reasons.
Produced by Motor Trend