Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #519
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I just watched the video again. I guess I'm missing something. It's pretty cut and dry. I guess I would need someone to explain it to me.

motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #520
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
1.69 60ft + Goodyear G2 F1's = HELL NO!!!!

The best times in the vid were done with drag radials. I still say the ZL1 can get in the 11's with the stock tire though. Give it some time AGAIN...........
It did run in the 11.9s on stock GYs and DRs that Friday.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #521
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
So you're saying you gained nothing by using DRs?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #522
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
So you're saying you gained nothing by using DRs?
At stock power I would have to say that it takes a really good driver to benefit from the DRs in the ZL1. GM has got the Launch Mode so dialed in for the ZL1 as it delivers from the factory it is impressive. Bump the RWHP by 100 and DRs are the weapon of choice.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #523
motorhead

Quote:
At stock power I would have to say that it takes a really good driver to benefit from the DRs in the ZL1. GM has got the Launch Mode so dialed in for the ZL1 as it delivers from the factory it is impressive. Bump the RWHP by 100 and DRs are the weapon of choice.
That's really good to know. They must really have that car dialed in.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #524
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's really good to know. They must really have that car dialed in.

The times were so consistent it is hard to believe. Rumor has it one ZL1 Engineer could not break the 12 second mark. That is the real secret behind the event and video. Anyone who breaks the code of silence on that one will soon see but it is just a rumor
Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #525
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
... GM has got the Launch Mode so dialed in for the ZL1 as it delivers from the factory it is impressive.....
I thought they turned all that off on the quickest pass? Can't remember if that was written, or part of the video. Could be mistaken - and not willing to go back through all this mess to figure it out!

As for DRs vs slicks....true dat! However, DRs can be made to hook pretty good....

This past weekend at MIR on a 10.9 car....
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #526
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
I thought they turned all that off on the quickest pass? Can't remember if that was written, or part of the video. Could be mistaken - and not willing to go back through all this mess to figure it out!

As for DRs vs slicks....true dat! However, DRs can be made to hook pretty good....

Soon GM will release info on the ZL1 pulling the front tires too.
using street tires.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #527
vertcobra99
Banned

Drives: nissan
Quote:
You do realize that not even the ZR1 with wider tires, more power, similar magnetic suspension and 900 lbs weight advantage has not even run a 1.69 60 foot time on stock tires right? I don't understand how anyone can even think this 60 foot time was accomplished on the stock good years. Anyone who has been drag racing for a long time would realize this. I mean look at the fast list for the ZR1 on drag times I posted below.

So your saying that the ZL1 with all of the disadvantages it has compared to the ZR1 is capable of a better 60 foot time? Some of those times on drag times are even with drag radials. Do you know how rediculous that claim is?

http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet--...ag-Racing.html
vertcobra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #528
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
That's what happens when you let the Blue Oval guys in.
I feel this isn't entirely true. There are a good assortment of Chevy fans, and people like me who WILL OWN a ZL1, that simply want to know what the real story is. To castigate an entire community (i.e. the "Blue Oval Guys") is short-sighted.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #529
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:

i run 275dr's in the turbo car. they will pull the front tires on a well setup car. 90/10's, tubular everything, well setup.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #530
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcobra99 View Post
You do realize that not even the ZR1 with wider tires, more power, similar magnetic suspension and 900 lbs weight advantage has not even run a 1.69 60 foot time on stock tires right? I don't understand how anyone can even think this 60 foot time was accomplished on the stock good years. Anyone who has been drag racing for a long time would realize this. I mean look at the fast list for the ZR1 on drag times I posted below.

So your saying that the ZL1 with all of the disadvantages it has compared to the ZR1 is capable of a better 60 foot time? Some of those times on drag times are even with drag radials. Do you know how rediculous that claim is?

http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet--...ag-Racing.html
I'm one of those "anyone" that can believes it. On private test days, I've seen tracks prepped to the point of almost not being able to walk on them (not heard about them, but been there). If I were GM, looking for the absolute best ET I could get in stock form, I'd have the track stick like gorilla glue (much like MM&FF/GMHTP does when they are trying for "hero runs").

Now, I don't by any means believe this is something that will be repeatable outside of similar circumstances - if at all. But I do believe it happened, and I have just a few drag strip passes under my belt too.

FWIW...regardless of whether or not you believe this particular vehicle went 11.9x, there is no doubt in MY mind, that stock ZL1s in the hands of real owners will duplicate the ET and beat the MPH. Might be this fall before it happens, but I'm sure it will.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #531
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
Quote:
Didn't the tuner shops see pretty good gains from DR's? I thought the guy driving the car was an experienced driver with a 900+ hp car?
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #532
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
Quote:
FWIW...regardless of whether or not you believe this particular vehicle went 11.9x, there is no doubt in MY mind, that stock ZL1s in the hands of real owners will duplicate the ET and beat the MPH. Might be this fall before it happens, but I'm sure it will.
Agreed. Someone will do it for sure. I wish this video had never said anything about DR's or showed them bolting up another set of tires. Woulda been a lot less worms wriggling around lol.
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote