Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #813
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
Not sure I agree what that. The mustang, including the shelby, is in dire need of a visual redesign. It's just too dull looking. But it's more than just visual. The zl1 is fast as hell sure. But one key item that sold me on the zl1 was the superior suspension and handling.
What happens when the Shelby posts better times around the track? Will you come back and say that the ZL-1 has inferior suspension?

Why do "guess" that it has better suspension and handling? Listening to Al Oppenheiser?

That hasn't worked out to well for him and his simulator so far...
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #814
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
well it is all relitive. when I priced out a GT500 it was 61,450 PP+TP. so 1k in that would put you put 62,450.

now you pay 56,295 for a ZL1. so put that 6k into a ZL1. Headers, pulley, tune, portend snout, cam, injectors, cai. what you end up with a realy rad car that is in the 10's either way.

they are really very equiveltent money wise trust me I have crunched them as I am a car guy not a chevy guy.

at that point neither car would have waranty left either.
So with your way of thinking, a 2011-2012 GT500 would be the best bang for the buck.
$48K base price+$1K mods will walk all over the ZL1 all day long.
and still have plenty of beer money.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #815
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk52 View Post
What happens when the Shelby posts better times around the track? Will you come back and say that the ZL-1 has inferior suspension?

Why do "guess" that it has better suspension and handling? Listening to Al Oppenheiser?

That hasn't worked out to well for him and his simulator so far...
The ZL1 turned a 7:41 at nurburgring back in oct 2011. Nurburgring is a huge track and has it's criticisms, but it's definitely not a simulator. There are other plenty of other tracks anyway, so we'll see what happens.

The ZL1's MR suspension is a major upgrade for the camaro. And it definitely pays off here.

So until the shelby can post something faster, my conclusion is the ZL1 has the better suspension and handling.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #816
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I'm glad that the fanbois of either denomination, Ford or Chevy, can have their cake and eat it too. Competition makes the heartbeat under the hood more powerful.

But I do have one question: Is there any chance of not getting the gay stripes on the new Cobra? Those things look like azz. It would look hella better without it ruining what little styling the car has left. I guess since they're vinyl you could take them off. But they simply look stupid IMO.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #817
DBS
Banned

Drives: z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
well it is all relitive. when I priced out a GT500 it was 61,450 PP+TP. so 1k in that would put you put 62,450.

now you pay 56,295 for a ZL1. so put that 6k into a ZL1. Headers, pulley, tune, portend snout, cam, injectors, cai. what you end up with a realy rad car that is in the 10's either way.

they are really very equiveltent money wise trust me I have crunched them as I am a car guy not a chevy guy.

at that point neither car would have waranty left either.
Ok for the zl1 that was in the 10s, the package was not 6k. It was over 10 if I remember reading correctly.
DBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #818
DBS
Banned

Drives: z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
Not sure I agree what that. The mustang, including the shelby, is in dire need of a visual redesign. It's just too dull looking. But it's more than just visual. The zl1 is fast as hell sure. But one key item that sold me on the zl1 was the superior suspension and handling.
How can you say the zl1 has superior suspension and handling when it can't get the power to the ground? It just has MR. That's the only superior part. Plus if the vert does VIR a couple seconds slower than the zl1 what hope do you think it has against the coupe? These traps are overwhelming I mean come on the shelby is just too fast for the zl1. It will take it in the ring, VIR, you name it lets be honest. This is z06 territory now and it wasn't even made to compete with it.
DBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #819
HPT BANDIT

Drives: 1999 Ford Lightning
Those bragging about the track pack, please do me a favor. Go to a local scca autocross and see how it does. Since its so fast, it should clean house. Make sure you tell them what it ran at Nurburg. Brag about the track pack and magnetic suspension. And dont forget to tell them how superior your suspension is. They really like to hear that. When its your turn to make a pass, make sure you have your excuse ready when some kid Ina beat up civic runs several secs quicker without a track pack and a fraction of the hp.
HPT BANDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #820
oortcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS View Post
How can you say the zl1 has superior suspension and handling when it can't get the power to the ground? It just has MR. That's the only superior part. Plus if the vert does VIR a couple seconds slower than the zl1 what hope do you think it has against the coupe? These traps are overwhelming I mean come on the shelby is just too fast for the zl1. It will take it in the ring, VIR, you name it lets be honest. This is z06 territory now and it wasn't even made to compete with it.
It gets plenty of power to the ground. If two cars turn equal road track times, and one has 80hp more, then I would think one of the cars has better handling capabilities.

In all fairness, there really aren't enough road track times to come to a definitive conclusion.
I'm really interested in seeing the actual track times of both cars on multiple tracks. But until then I'm sticking with my current conclusion.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #821
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
I'm glad that the fanbois of either denomination, Ford or Chevy, can have their cake and eat it too. Competition makes the heartbeat under the hood more powerful.

But I do have one question: Is there any chance of not getting the gay stripes on the new Cobra? Those things look like azz. It would look hella better without it ruining what little styling the car has left. I guess since they're vinyl you could take them off. But they simply look stupid IMO.
Seems like you have a thing for stripes with that pic in your avatar...

I guess stripes only look good on Camaro's right?

Anyhow...Yeah you can order a Shelby without the stripes.
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #822
oortcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPT BANDIT View Post
Those bragging about the track pack, please do me a favor. Go to a local scca autocross and see how it does. Since its so fast, it should clean house. Make sure you tell them what it ran at Nurburg. Brag about the track pack and magnetic suspension. And dont forget to tell them how superior your suspension is. They really like to hear that. When its your turn to make a pass, make sure you have your excuse ready when some kid Ina beat up civic runs several secs quicker without a track pack and a fraction of the hp.
Brag about my MRC? I guess you're implying its indeed superior and worth bragging about

Went to my first autocross about 10 years ago, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I'll be taking mine to road atlanta with a car club. I'm not a professional driver. And I'm not delusional in thinking I'm going to rip up the track like Ayrton Senna. But I'm gonna buy what I think is the better all around road track car.

BTW the zl1 has no "track pack" option like the shelby. That'd be cool if it did though.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #823
ChuckD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPT BANDIT View Post
Did anyone claim the ZL1 was designed to dominate autocross Sunday? The answer is no. Buy a Miata - it's good for dodging cones.

ZL1 has reached supercar status on the track - with no track pack - all standard equipment.

ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #824
kellyjns20
Banned

Drives: Bamf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Did anyone claim the ZL1 was designed to dominate autocross Sunday? The answer is no. Buy a Miata - it's good for dodging cones.

ZL1 has reached supercar status on the track - with no track pack - all standard equipment.
Has it???
kellyjns20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #825
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
And we are back to the roadcourse arguments.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #826
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Or you could get us some timeslips and video.

Or you could believe that GM didn't fudge a bit in stating it ran that 11.9 on street tires, cutting those 1.6's.

Someone stated they were there for those runs, and that it was definately on DR's.

I just don't get it. Why so much butt hurt over the GT500. If it romps a ZL1 in the quarter or on a track so what. Do you or have you bought a ZL1 because its the fastest car out there? Of course not. Its only the people who cant seem to handle the possibility that the ZL1 isn't even close to the 500 that get so bent out of shape. I may be influenced by the power difference in making my purchasing decision, but if you like and want the ZL1 who cares if the GT500 is going to out run it.
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote