Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #43
Paco
Banned

Drives: Chevrolet's, Ford's and one Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
You must not know much about paint, car values, and the instrinsic value and quality of factory paint.

A "repaint" would be WORSE than poor-quality factory paint, and would totally screw the value of his relatively new car. Mask lines in all the jambs, overspray down inside every panel gap, and all over the underside of the car, if they skimp on the sanding/prep you get adhesion issues down the road, potential fish-eyes, dirt in the paint, sanding marks under the paint, inconsistent texture and orange peel, and on and on and on...

Having a dealer repaint your car is NOT fixing a factory paint job. The only real fix is getting a replacement car with good factory paint, or ditching the car for a fair price given the pro-rated service its already provided you.

Factory paint is applied by robots, in atmospherically-maintained-optimal conditions, in clean-rooms that are more dust-free than a surgery ward.

Dealer re-paints are done by Bubba, in the dealer's old poorly-maintained beat to hell booth, weather be damned...

Asking GM to re-paint your car is asking to take a bad situation, and make it five times shittier.

Quote:
1. You won't find anything but sub-par painters doing factory and dealership work.

2. You still can't REPLICATE factory paint without disassembling most of the car... Least not if you're going to do it right, and as-factory.

3. No matter how beautiful the job, a repaint diminishes value. Unless it's completely undectable and you don't tell the buyer (which is unethical)

I collect cars, I know good paint.
I'm going to put this is the most simplistic way I can

No offense, but this is total bullsh*t. If you think factory paint is anywhere close to being better than a quality paint job then you know nothing about GOOD paint.

The only way it will diminishes the value of the car is if you do a color change or its a sh*t job which happens A TON. If its a rare car, then yes it can pending the particular model.

Factory paint is nothing but orange peal and a quarter of the time does not match. A good quality paint job from someone that preps properly and can actually lay paint down will look 50X better (if you know what your looking at. It seems you don't because you think orange peal looks good apparently)

and no over-spray is no issue if you no what precautions to take including underneath the car

AND it will be 20x more durable. At least it is when I do it. & yes I do this for a living. My (MY) company has been doing it now for 31 years for individuals (Some car collectors with muilti million dollar collections) as well as corporate race teams/companies.

and FYI 5th gens have some of the worst paint I have seen. I have re-painted many of my customers cars bumpers, QP's and hoods because there NOT EVEN close to matching. Absolutely embarrassing for a 30k+ car.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #44
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Chevy Paint jobs. Quality, Job 2. Or 3. Or maybe 4....could be 5.

This is my 2012 with 1,500 miles of clear, dry, pleasure use driving only on paved roads. Never rolled a foot in rain, as a matter of fact, a rain drop has never been so blessed a to touch my car.

Now, the interesting thing about this is that the right front fender lip is chipping, the left is not.

The left rear quarter panel as pictured is chipping, the right is not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #45
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
What panel is that first pic?

The RH side of a car always takes more damage because of the shoulder/curb-side gravel and sand collections from drainage off the road.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #46
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
everybody's so defensive on these forums...

FYI, i was agreeing with you.. lol... go back and re-read my post.
My bad. Sorry about that.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #47
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
What panel is that first pic?

The RH side of a car always takes more damage because of the shoulder/curb-side gravel and sand collections from drainage off the road.
That is the right front fender, inside edge, at the lower rear.

The stuff by the gills sort of breaks your rule of right hand damage.

And trust me, the cars not been near the berm, not seen any gravel, nor any sand in Beaver County Pa. This is good old black top-soil country.

Just tonight I inspected the 2011 Lexus is250C, the 99 F-350, the 05 Dodge Ram, the 04 Grand Cherokee, the 04 Blazer, and the 200,000 mile 00 Toyota Corolla. The new Camaro is by far the most damaged in the fender lip area. So my brand new car wins the award of the most jacked up paint of the family fleet. Even my wife's 2011 Malibu does not share this issue.

Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #48
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee2012 View Post
That is the right front fender, inside edge, at the lower rear.

The stuff by the gills sort of breaks your rule of right hand damage.

And trust me, the cars not been near the berm, not seen any gravel, nor any sand in Beaver County Pa. This is good old black top-soil country.

Just tonight I inspected the 2011 Lexus is250C, the 99 F-350, the 05 Dodge Ram, the 04 Grand Cherokee, the 04 Blazer, and the 200,000 mile 00 Toyota Corolla. The new Camaro is by far the most damaged in the fender lip area. So my brand new car wins the award of the most jacked up paint of the family fleet. Even my wife's 2011 Malibu does not share this issue.

Is the premium paint that you pay $325 extra for any better on these cars? That is sad and I am picky about paint quality.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #49
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
I knew I'd get a painter on here pounding his chest....
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #50
chrisx66

Drives: 66 Chevelle 8:02 @174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
I don't believe that has happened an untuned 5.0. And even if did happen to an untuned car, Ford would replace the engine.

I've done quite a few engines on unmodded 5.0's in mustangs and f150's. I've also rebuilt a lot of mt-82's even though know it alls on the Internet say there's no issues with them.
chrisx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #51
Paco
Banned

Drives: Chevrolet's, Ford's and one Jeep
Quote:
I knew I'd get a painter on here pounding his chest....

Sorry. There was just to much stupid and ignorance in your posts
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #52
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Sorry. There was just to much stupid and ignorance in your posts
The grammar makes that quote above laughably ironic... Whenever you call someone stupid and/or ignorant, it's always best to make sure the sentence could get past your 3rd grade teacher.

I'm in the business too dude.. We just have different opinions. I never said factory paint didn't have peel and issues, I'm just looking further down the road.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #53
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx66 View Post
I've done quite a few engines on unmodded 5.0's in mustangs and f150's. I've also rebuilt a lot of mt-82's even though know it alls on the Internet say there's no issues with them.
Do you work for Ford?

I believe there were issues with the early MT-82s, but Ford warranteed them. I've still never heard of a case of an unmodded 5.0 blowing the #8 cylinder, much less one blowing and Ford refusing to warrantee it.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #54
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
My first car when I was 16 was a brand new 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 manual. This was one of the funnest cars I have ever driven. When the new 5.0 came out I was holding my chair tight to not trade.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #55
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
My oldest son (24) just traded in a 2010 Dodge Caliber for a 2013 Mustangt 5.0
Awesome car, went do a little spirited driving in it last night,really quick car and the clutch has a good feel to it.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #56
chrisx66

Drives: 66 Chevelle 8:02 @174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
Do you work for Ford?

I believe there were issues with the early MT-82s, but Ford warranteed them. I've still never heard of a case of an unmodded 5.0 blowing the #8 cylinder, much less one blowing and Ford refusing to warrantee it.

Yes I work for Ford, I've had a few with #8 cylinder problems totally stock. The mt-82's are hit or miss, depends on the customer we put the same parts back in them nothing new or updated. My dealer warranties almost everything, the only time it's iffy is is Ford wants to send an inspector or field service engineer out but most of them are clueless anyways so you can just show them a part that's failed out of a totally different vehicle and they'll just take pics of it and give you an approval.
chrisx66 is offline   Reply With Quote