Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #799
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
So the gt500 doesn't handle well now because the zl1 handles better? That must mean the zl1 is slow as hell in a straight line come on now. I think the biggest problem we have here is the assumptions haven't changed at all, they have just become even more inflated. Nothing has really changed from this review other than getting the opinion of a few mag journalists. Anyone with a brain knew the gt500 would kill in a straight line and the zl1 would handle better. We still haven't seen enough real racing to determine which is faster on a road course, and even then different courses will benefit one more than the other. The trap speeds show that from a roll the distance between zl1 and gt500 will be even greater than in a 1/4, but the handling tests show the zl1 will hold more corner speed. If the slight braking advantage of the gt500 holds up in racing conditions, these cars could be VERY close on almost any track. Both have major advantages and both have key hurdles to overcome.
You had me till you mentioned the "slight" brake advantage. 1'? How many times can anyone repeat that? If it's not more than 5+ feet there is no advantage, and the constant use of the brakes and how they take it is still up in the air.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #800
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
If there's any brake advantage I'd give it to the ZL1. For whatever reason brake feel in Mustangs does not inspire the confidence that the numbers should supply.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #801
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
If there's any brake advantage I'd give it to the ZL1. For whatever reason brake feel in Mustangs does not inspire the confidence that the numbers should supply.
I'm surprised they didn't spend the few extra $ for the Brembo rears. I'm sure it is the difference your looking for.

I just noticed the number on your hood really cool! Any more pics? BTW, I like the 2012 front better on the Boss than the 2013.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #802
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'm surprised they didn't spend the few extra $ for the Brembo rears. I'm sure it is the difference your looking for.
Theres a reason for that and its because of the SRA. i cant remember exactly but the side to side motion of the axle move the brake pads around causing squoishy pedal and a dely in braking power. Mustang guys feel free to add or take away as im not 100% sure i remember reading a SVT member write a post on a mustang fourm awhile ago.

Im not gonna take this review to heart. ill wait to motortrend is done throwing around the Shelby and ZL1 around Laguna Seca to declare a winner. but the typical mentaility is shelby in the striaghts and ZL1 in the turns.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #803
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
If you really want a 5Gen Z28 hold on a little longer. Remember the every 6 month release for the Camaro. Also it will have to be announced soon as time is running out.
I hope so.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #804
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Why is there an assumption that handling's only important if one is racing all out or on a road course? A car's handling allows one to be more confident on turns and rough surfaces at all speeds. It is always important.
Exactly!
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #805
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Cost is where it's at. Every time I do a track day, I'm out at a MINIMUM $300. Not to mention how taxing it is on your brakes and tires. Drag strip is $10 bucks, you run all night, and wears a tiny amount of your tires. Good to go.
You have to think of track days as comparable to golf at which point you see it for what it is, great value for your money and a whole lot more fun way to spend the day. Also check into after work runs, TMS is 99 bucks from 6 to dusk.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #806
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:

I just noticed the number on your hood really cool! Any more pics? BTW, I like the 2012 front better on the Boss than the 2013.
Vinyl numbers. Thanks. Had them on for a show and shine for fun. Funnily enough I prefer the look of the '13 but love the fact that the '12 Boss was more unique overall. Ideally I will have one of each. As for the Brembos on the rear, the really aren't needed but the bite and pedal feel could me more positive than it is to really inspire confidence. It takes me a lot of runs to feel in my brakes and start running hero laps. And even then I usually back off after a few of those because of lack of feedback. Considering a change for feel rather than a performance upgrade.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #807
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Why is there an assumption that handling's only important if one is racing all out or on a road course? A car's handling allows one to be more confident on turns and rough surfaces at all speeds. It is always important.
Granted handling is important everywhere but to exceed comfortable handling limits in my car would require speeds 3x the posted limits and then some. Driven within the law both of these cars will be confidence inspiring. The ZL1 will amaze more on how it manages so much mass, especially if you come from an SS. The GT500 is less of a relegation coming from an already nimble GT.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #808
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Vinyl numbers. Thanks. Had them on for a show and shine for fun. Funnily enough I prefer the look of the '13 but love the fact that the '12 Boss was more unique overall. Ideally I will have one of each. As for the Brembos on the rear, the really aren't needed but the bite and pedal feel could me more positive than it is to really inspire confidence. It takes me a lot of runs to feel in my brakes and start running hero laps. And even then I usually back off after a few of those because of lack of feedback. Considering a change for feel rather than a performance upgrade.
Maybe better brake fluid lines?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #809
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #810
kbar4782

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 00016
[QUOTE=Fenderaddict2;5148777]Vinyl numbers. Thanks. Had them on for a show and shine for fun. Funnily enough I prefer the look of the '13 but love the fact that the '12 Boss was more unique overall. Ideally I will have one of each. As for the Brembos on the rear, the really aren't needed but the bite and pedal feel could me more positive than it is to really inspire confidence. It takes me a lot of runs to feel in my brakes and start running hero laps. And even then I usually back off after a few of those because of lack of feedback. Considering a change for feel rather than a performance upgrade.[/

I don't know if it's the usual "new" body style of most vehicles, but I don't like the looks of the 2013 GT's as much.
kbar4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #811
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
Granted handling is important everywhere but to exceed comfortable handling limits in my car would require speeds 3x the posted limits and then some. Driven within the law both of these cars will be confidence inspiring. The ZL1 will amaze more on how it manages so much mass, especially if you come from an SS. The GT500 is less of a relegation coming from an already nimble GT.
But...... ya don't have to exceed the handling limits of a car to feel the benefits of a well designed suspension.
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #812
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Im not suprised with the results. The mustang has a significant amount of power over the camaro, but it doesnt have the suspension to compete with the zl1.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500