Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
BriCo84

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT w/RS
If you own a dog and a camaro, this thread is for you

I tried this a few months ago before I got my camaro as I knew it would be a problem, I started a thread that was basically about how to have your dog in the car and not destroy your car, and almost every response was, "The dog doesn't go in the camaro" or something similar. So first off, DO NOT RESPOND WITH "I don't let the dog in the camaro" or anything of the sort. That's great for you. I have found it to be a big problem, and have decided that that solution is no feasible. My camaro is my daily driver and I can't keep my Lulu out of it anymore, it's destroying my family (I can't bring her over when I meet up with the family at the house because I have no way to get her there...other then the camaro).

Anyway, the short version of what this thread is about, is a way to transport your furry friend in the car without damaging, scratching, or any markup on the car, and preferably without getting hair anywhere. I have started from the position that obviously the back sear will be folded down to protect the leather, and the dog will presumably go on there.

Has anyone figured out a foolproof way of transporting there dog without damaging the camaro at all? My camaro is PRISTINE right now and I want to keep it that way

FYI, my dog is 40 pounds...medium sized not too big.

Thoughts? Remember, do not post saying, "My dog doesn't ride in my camaro, she rides in my other car" or anything of the sort. Only real solutions please. Also I have attached a photo so you can see what cuteness I am dealing with here....leaving her at home all the time is no longer an option...
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
dwj950

Drives: 2006 Equinox, 2011 2LT SIM
Go to your local petco or other large pet store and look around at carriers. Although my Camaro is only a week old and neither pet has been in it yet we use carriers for both the cat and the dog in our other cars and they are both much calmer in their carriers than loose not to mention not getting under foot or chance of escape at rest stops etc. We have flexible ones (as opposed to metal framed crates) with only a hard floor that should be easier to fit into the Camaro with the folded seat. Suggest leaving the carrier in the house with the "door" open to let the dog get used to it first.
dwj950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
BriCo84

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj950 View Post
Go to your local petco or other large pet store and look around at carriers. Although my Camaro is only a week old and neither pet has been in it yet we use carriers for both the cat and the dog in our other cars and they are both much calmer in their carriers than loose not to mention not getting under foot or chance of escape at rest stops etc. We have flexible ones (as opposed to metal framed crates) with only a hard floor that should be easier to fit into the Camaro with the folded seat. Suggest leaving the carrier in the house with the "door" open to let the dog get used to it first.
Good call...except I think you are overestimating the opening you get when leaning the seat forward. I have found that space to be quite small, i can barely get my clothes back there on the hanger. So that would mean it would have to be in the car already and i would have to get her in the car and into the crate as opposed to putting her in the crate and then putting the crate with her in it, in the car.

She is very well behaved so this is still an option. the question is how do i get her from outside the car to inside the crate without having her touch ANYTHING. (Bear in mind i am crazy...i Zaino wash my car twice a month, it looks show room ready everytime you see it, so i don't want any scratches on any plastic or any interior from the dog climbing into the car.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
seat cover

http://www.************.com/searseprwlof.html

A little of both, protection for the front seat via a seat cover. My wife said the dog has trouble finding a grip/traction in the car so she is also folding the back seat down.
Attached Images

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
ShellsPACam

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS Camaro
When I have to take my lab in my Camaro I usually start by layering sheets on the back floor so it is completely covered. Then I layer blankets on the back seat and put a fitted sheet over the back seat & tuck it in so that it won't fall. I also put a thick towel over the center console to protect it from my dogs nails.
So far- I haven't had any damage/ issues or much clean up besides a few nose prints on the windows!
hope this gives you a few ideas. And your dog is adorable!!
ShellsPACam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Buy two quilted moving blankets.
Fold the seat down and put one over the carpeted area in the trunk and over the back of the back seat to protect the matting.
Keep the other moving blanket for when the dog enters the car.
Open the passenger door, move the seat as far forward as it will go, fold the back of the seat forward, and drape the moving blanket from the ground, over the sill, and up onto the back of the back seat.
Let the dog crawl in through the opening.
The second blanket will prevent the dog from scratching anything while she gets in.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
As you mentioned, put to back seat down, put a blanket dedicated to him/her in the back for him/her to lay on. get a set of these for his/her feet......

Name:  dog-boots1.jpg
Views: 6544
Size:  30.9 KB

AND OR since you live if the south, take him/her to a groomer and have him/her shaved.......that is what we do with one of ours.....she likes it, and its a LOT cooler and no hair/fur, or at least very little fur to deal with.

Name:  Maggie.jpg
Views: 6515
Size:  32.5 KB
Old 12-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
laxcoach81

Drives: 2011 cyber gray 1LT
Dr Foster pet catalog offer a wide range of car seat covers that can quickly and easily be installed. I purchased on for the wifes Silverado, it is held inplace by the head rests and then a flap that tucks in on the sides of the seat. I saw a similar one that could work in the Camaro. The one for the truck takes a couple of minutes to install and can be machine washed. Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
dwj950

Drives: 2006 Equinox, 2011 2LT SIM
I'm at work and can't check clearance and don't know the dog's height but is folding the seat and then picking her up and entering via the open trunk lid an answer? Depending on height, you may be able to put the soft carrier on the trunk floor, put her in the carrier and then slide it forward so she can see you and not get as upset about being in the carrier.
dwj950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
Johnnyma45
Former Camaro Owner

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T
In a pinch, when I've had to take Izzy to the vet, I've just put her in her normal house crate and put it in the front seat. Not the best, but the bet is only 3 miles away and my wife's Mazda3 is unavailable.

And since every dog/car thread needs pics, here is Izzy
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
sheets in the back seat...carry a vacuum with you for rogue hairs - only problem is if she likes to try to look out the window, you'll have to figure out how to avoid scratching the panels in the back seat.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Another idea would be to lay the rear seats down and install a wire divider wall then possibly put the dog in the trunk. this way he can see you and breathe the same cool air you are breathing but he is confined to the trunk area. I am sure it is big enough. just an idea. you might have to make something custom that fits the trunk/ seat opening. I would think this could be the best idea because the dog would no even be in the actual interior of the car.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Here is what I did when I took my 2 dogs to the vet for shots since the little crate wont fit in the car. I layed a blanket they like to sleep on in the trunk for comfort. Closed the trunk. Opened passenger door and rolled the seat forward and folded it down. I then folded half the backseat down and layed an old towel over the back of the back seat and draped it down to the floor. I let the dogs in and they climbed onto the backseat and went into the trunk and lied down on their blanket. Put the passenger seat back up and got in. I then aimed the vents for the a/c to the back and also allowed made the air blow from the top vents only. Plenty of air went to the back and they liked hanging out back there. It was like a little cave for them. When I got to the vet I popped the trunk and got em out. This was in the summer and they weren't even panting back there and were excited to get back in. Whenever they wanted some attention they would poke their heads in and I'd give em a good chin scratch at a red light.