Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #113
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
are these brembos the same ones that come on the cts v they look alot alike any one know ? if they are will bolt right up using the cts v rotor also as they seem to be 2 piece from the factory
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #114
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
are these brembos the same ones that come on the cts v they look alot alike any one know ? if they are will bolt right up using the cts v rotor also as they seem to be 2 piece from the factory
They are most likely very similar, if not the same, but I am not positive. The rotors are probably identical, the calipers might be slightly different, not too sure.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #115
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Nice brakes but OH-MY-GOD, eight grand for calipers and rotors?? You got took sir and so will anyone who thinks they need to pay this. That is a freakin built LS7 short block right there!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #116
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-townmach View Post
Nice brakes but OH-MY-GOD, eight grand for calipers and rotors?? You got took sir and so will anyone who thinks they need to pay this. That is a freakin built LS7 short block right there!
I truly hope you don't think that I paid 8 grand being the prototype for these brakes Thanks for the concern though.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #117
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Well guys after reading 5 pages of post to catch up can I say this: I ran a HPDE at road atlanta this weekend in my Gen5 turboed camaro 628 rwhp. I ran this car very hard and have lots of experience with vettes and road course racing. Only mod I did to brakes were MTI braided lines and Wildwood 570 fluid. Brakes worked perfect. Never once did I have any brake fade or failures. I ran with many exotics and vettes passing most. These brakes work great even with the power I have pushing me around. I would only recommend maybe a duct for cooling tighter courses. Maybe the aftermarket guys are watching (hint hint) Other than than that spend your money on HP mods.

I agree too we bought a $40,000 car with great breaks. No there not like the Z06 or ZR1 brakes but pretty close.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #118
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
It's been over a year now, how is the kit holding up?

Do you have a side shot of the car with the front in rear kit in full view?

Last edited by Richy_Rich; 09-02-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Richy_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #119
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Well guys after reading 5 pages of post to catch up can I say this: I ran a HPDE at road atlanta this weekend in my Gen5 turboed camaro 628 rwhp. I ran this car very hard and have lots of experience with vettes and road course racing. Only mod I did to brakes were MTI braided lines and Wildwood 570 fluid. Brakes worked perfect. Never once did I have any brake fade or failures. I ran with many exotics and vettes passing most. These brakes work great even with the power I have pushing me around. I would only recommend maybe a duct for cooling tighter courses. Maybe the aftermarket guys are watching (hint hint) Other than than that spend your money on HP mods.

I agree too we bought a $40,000 car with great breaks. No there not like the Z06 or ZR1 brakes but pretty close.

The brakes on the Camaro are very good from an OEM standpoint. High quality stuff for sure!

But there are HUGE differences in Brembo OEM and Brembo Race products. It all depends on the purpose of the vehicle, tire, wheel, suspension set-up etc. There is something called "to much brake" where the suspension and tire set-up can't handle the de-acceleration, ABS kicks in way to early and braking distance becomes longer. This is something that I have experienced several times at the track!

I have previously had stock calipers, Brembo slotted rotors and DTC-70 race pads. Not one street tire that I have tried has been able to hold up to that, even with the stock caliper the braking is far to aggressive and it ended up hurting my laptimes. Now I am running Toyo R-888 R-compounds, Brembo GT front brakes with CT XP-10 pads and there are few cars that can outstop my 3800+ lb Camaro. Plus they last forever compared to stock.

It also depends how aggressive you are on the brakes, I am very aggressive and use every last % of them so I would kill stock pads in 2 laps!

Anyways, where a stock braking system compared to an upgraded race system might have the same braking distance first run out, the race system will have the same consistent performance lap after lap, where the stock WILL fail shortly after.

A few differences in the stock kit and a race kit is the material the caliper is made of (better materials don't expand when hot), a cross brace in the middle to insure full pressure on pad and help with stability, different sizes pistons from back of caliper to front of caliper to ensure even pad wear and then of course the size of the pistons. In this matter size does matter, larger pistons = more clamping power per piston!

But the most important thing to remember is balance... a well balanced car (HP vs suspension vs weight etc) will kick any cars butt no matter how much hp the other car has. A bone stock Camaro with the best suspension and brakes will win over a 1000hp Camaro on stock suspension any day. We shot for the in between, 500whp AND the most bad ass suspension available (have been running Pfadt springs and sways but the new coil-overs and all other parts will be arriving tomorrow!)

Where am I going with this? An expensive brake kit might seem like a waste of money for some when you can get 700hp for the same money, but if you like to drive lap after lap with consistent times (consistency wins races) brakes are a better upgrade then a S/C. Of course this is meant for guys who road course their car now and then, not to drag racers

So to conclude, the stock brakes are great and you can get very far with them (as I have driven over 30 track and auto cross events with my Camaro) but if you can afford bad ass brakes to go with a bad ass suspension I say go for it!

Sorry for the long post, I am very passionate about road racing, suspension tech and such haha

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #120
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

I just enjoy the visual appeal of the BIG brake kit, but I understand the conclusions above.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #121
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy_Rich View Post
I just enjoy the visual appeal of the BIG brake kit, but I understand the conclusions above.
I agree 100%! Big brakes look amazing under a set of nice wheels
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #122
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
They are most likely very similar, if not the same, but I am not positive. The rotors are probably identical, the calipers might be slightly different, not too sure.
The CTS-V Brakes are similar to the Camaro but not the same. By now you all know that the CTS-V brakes can be seen in the camo photos of the Z28. All the details on the Z28 / CTS-V brakes are in this thread. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71401
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #123
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post
I agree 100%! Big brakes look amazing under a set of nice wheels
http://www.camaro5.com/camaro-brembo...-kit-installed

Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #124
Wngrr

Drives: 2011 2ss/Rs
I like the look! I was thinking of doing something similar to my wifes 2011 SS\RS. Do you have plans for the stock Brembos? Interested in selling?

Wngrr
Wngrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #125
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Maybe I missed it, but to the original OP, is your car set for the track/etc and thats why you dropped some serious coinage on the brake upgrade?
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #126
Kwik

Drives: car
BTW, the calipers are slightly different on the GT and the caliper only upgrade. The GT uses an M pad which has slightly more surface area than the N pad in the caliper only upgrade.