Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 05-14-2015, 11:16 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Turbo sizing?

Still planning to put my LFX engine sitting here to some good use, as well as the LF3 parts that I have collected.

Not wanting to splurge on the LF3 turbos, after quite a bit of research I discovered that two of the four holes on a T4 flange turbo will line up with the exhaust bolts on the LFX head. I think with a simple adapter plate a t4 flanged turbo could potentially bolt right to the head.

The problem I am finding with a lot of turbos that have a T4 flange is that they seem very large. Most likely too large for the 3.6.

Turbo experts, what do you think about the sizing specs on the following eBay special?

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=380378837493

I may or may not go with the eBay special, but I have been searching for something that I think may work well for twins with a t4 flange

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
SV6GUY
Endlessly Wrenching

Drives: VE SV6 S2 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Still planning to put my LFX engine sitting here to some good use, as well as the LF3 parts that I have collected.

Not wanting to splurge on the LF3 turbos, after quite a bit of research I discovered that two of the four holes on a T4 flange turbo will line up with the exhaust bolts on the LFX head. I think with a simple adapter plate a t4 flanged turbo could potentially bolt right to the head.

The problem I am finding with a lot of turbos that have a T4 flange is that they seem very large. Most likely too large for the 3.6.

Turbo experts, what do you think about the sizing specs on the following eBay special?

I may or may not go with the eBay special, but I have been searching for something that I think may work well for twins with a t4 flange

Two GT28RS turbos would be smaller and better suited for a twin setup. I've seen a couple of GT35 set ups on the 3.6 but they were for a single turbo set up only.
SV6GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Yeah I would think that's a little big for twins. I'm running GT28s on mine and they definitely seem like a good matchup.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
JantzenOKC

Still planning on putting this in a rat rod? My car is so much fun even as heavy as it is.. if this setup was in something 1,000lbs lighter it would be crazy!
Old 05-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm still kinda stuck on the T4 flange thing at the moment, but we'll see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Still planning on putting this in a rat rod? My car is so much fun even as heavy as it is.. if this setup was in something 1,000lbs lighter it would be crazy!
Yes, that's still the plan. I've started building the frame, and have one frame rail done will be starting on the other next week.

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I'm thinking it's probably going to weigh less than 2000lbs. Maybe 1700-1800lbs? Perhaps a slightly oversized turbo with a little more lag will help keep the tires from blowing off? In something that light, lag may not be quite so noticeable.

The cab I'll be using is a 46 Chevy truck cab. The frame I'm making myself out of aluminum. It's basically a replica of a 32 ford frame, 3/16" aluminum, fully boxed.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Thanks for the insight guys. I'm still kinda stuck on the T4 flange thing at the moment, but we'll see what happens.

Yes, that's still the plan. I've started building the frame, and have one frame rail done will be starting on the other next week.

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I'm thinking it's probably going to weigh less than 2000lbs. Maybe 1700-1800lbs? Perhaps a slightly oversized turbo with a little more lag will help keep the tires from blowing off? In something that light, lag may not be quite so noticeable.

The cab I'll be using is a 46 Chevy truck cab. The frame I'm making myself out of aluminum. It's basically a replica of a 32 ford frame, 3/16" aluminum, fully boxed.
Man what a cool project, I'd love to see a build thread on that... are you going to run a hood and everything or will this turbo lfx be out in the open?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:

The turbo in the link would work in a twin setup. According to the specs in the description, this distributor mated a gt35 turbine wheel with a smaller 56mm to4e compressor. The .68ar T4 housing would work great. All things equal and working right, changing the turbine housing size will directly influence the spool time and when the power band hits. For example, with my single setup, going from .81ar to .68ar decreased my spool by 500-1000rpm but choked me out up top. (now up to 1.15ar! with quick spool valve)

Also, I ran twin 57mm t3/t4 turbo's with stage 5 turbine wheels with t3 .63ar huosing (roughly same size as gt35 wheel) at front and rear mount and spooled well in both positions (near instant spool at front). Just use the .68ar turbine housings and you should have fun!

You could even run two 60mm 60-1's with p-trim exhaust for even more power with slightly more lag. Also, the trim for the 60-1 wheels are made for high efficiency at lower boost levels. In the link below, the Infiniti G35 twin kit uses twin 60-1's and that motor doesn't flow as much as ours. Looking at the dyno it probably hits full boost by 3.5-4.5k, will spool faster on the LFX:
http://www.turbokits.com/Infiniti/G3...Turbo_Kit/314/
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Man what a cool project, I'd love to see a build thread on that... are you going to run a hood and everything or will this turbo lfx be out in the open?
I haven't started a build thread anywhere yet... I'd put some pics of here, but the thread would probably get closed or moved for being off topic. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do for the body aside from the cab. I know I'll probably end up making a bed for it myself, maybe 3-4 feet long. The front end? I'm working a trade deal to get a nice 37 chevy grill and grill shell... If I run a hood I'll have to make it myself, I might just run the top of the hood and leave the sides off so the turbo's can stick out. Or I might not run a hood at all. Still up in the air. I might start a thread on the killbillet forum and put some pictures up later tonight if you want to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
The turbo in the link would work in a twin setup. According to the specs in the description, this distributor mated a gt35 turbine wheel with a smaller 56mm to4e compressor. The .68ar T4 housing would work great.
Thank you for the post and the excellent info. I was thinking the ebay special would probably work ok for twins, but most likely too small for a single (choke out the top end). Seeing as I'm going to try to end up using the LF3 intake, twins only make sense, plus it will look cool with one hanging off each side.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #9
JantzenOKC

Quote:
I haven't started a build thread anywhere yet... I'd put some pics of here, but the thread would probably get closed or moved for being off topic. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do for the body aside from the cab. I know I'll probably end up making a bed for it myself, maybe 3-4 feet long. The front end? I'm working a trade deal to get a nice 37 chevy grill and grill shell... If I run a hood I'll have to make it myself, I might just run the top of the hood and leave the sides off so the turbo's can stick out. Or I might not run a hood at all. Still up in the air. I might start a thread on the killbillet forum and put some pictures up later tonight if you want to check it out.
I actually think it would look cool with no hood just the grill, especially if your using the lf3 intake setup and bolting the turbos right to the heads. That would look crazy! Are you planning on chopping the top? I love rat rods I plan on doing one someday just gotta find that perfect cab to start with. I already have a 364 Nailhead motor that I kept from the 59 Buick I got rid of. It's already rebuilt, just sitting and waiting.

You should post up a link to your thread over there so we can see. LFX is Camaro related!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #10
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Would never trust one of the ebay turbos for long.....when the bearings go and the turbine blades start eating the housing and shedding metal that's your engine your going to have to replace in the end. Have yet to see one go more than a few thousand limes w/out failing...just look at the STS cheap ones as an example.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #11
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITI View Post
Would never trust one of the ebay turbos for long.....when the bearings go and the turbine blades start eating the housing and shedding metal that's your engine your going to have to replace in the end. Have yet to see one go more than a few thousand limes w/out failing...just look at the STS cheap ones as an example.
Well seeing as how his motor cost less than 1k and they can be had used all day at that price, he's probably not too worried about it.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
JantzenOKC

And dammit Jason, you got me thinking about rat rods again so I wheeled my motor out of the back and unwrapped it. It still looks good. Now I've been looking at old trucks and cabs on craigslist lol. Thanks a lot!
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
Jason@JacFab

Perhaps this turbo might be a little better quality?
www.ebay.com/itm/331316466454

Also water cooled, may be better for the longevity?

Quote:
Well seeing as how his motor cost less than 1k and they can be had used all day at that price, he's probably not too worried about it.
Correct, I'm not overly concerned... I'd rather not spend more on the two turbos than I spend on the whole project! Surely there must be a happy medium somewhere?

Quote:
And dammit Jason, you got me thinking about rat rods again so I wheeled my motor out of the back and unwrapped it. It still looks good. Now I've been looking at old trucks and cabs on craigslist lol. Thanks a lot!
That's a clean looking engine! Years and years ago I was trying to find a nailhead to do something similar with, but eventually the idea faded.

If you're serious about building something just keep your eyes open for the right deal... I had been looking for almost 2 years before picking up this cab I'm going to be working with. A lot of things that popped up were either too far gone for me to wan to screw with, or too much money.

Not exactly what I wanted, but it was in great shape and the price was right... Plus I think most of the Chevy truck cabs are pretty similar from 37-46. My cousin is building a 38 right now, and most of our pieces seem interchangeable from what has has had to borrow from me for patterns etc.

Couple frame rail construction shots:

Pardon my messy garage.

As of right now, I'm not planning on chopping the top. I'll get together at least as a roller and see how I fit in it first.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 05-20-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
JantzenOKC

Nice find! I've had my eye out for something but like you said people usually want a fortune for them. I can find 47 and newer Chevrolets pretty easy but I really want something older. I would even do an older 30s 40s ford or dodge pickup cab. That will be the first thing I buy, the cab or truck. I know a couple hot rod shops that will build me a custom chassis to fit my motor/trans and cab. I wish I had your fab skills and could do that myself! I could possibly use an S10 frame and do it myself but definitely wouldn't look as cool going that route.

Those frame rails are sick!