Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
skulka222

Drives: 2012 M6 Victory Red Camaro ZL1
Twin Turbo Camaro Issues.....Help!!!

Hey guys,

I currently running the IPS twin turbo kit. I got the kit installed at around 7k miles last June. I have had little to no problems and the car is my daily driver. I just recently hit 25,000 on the odometer, and everything seemed to be fine with the car. Recently the CEL came on, and I went ahead and scanned to see what was up and I got both P0171 and P0174 (too lean on both banks). I thought it was just the gas, so I emptied the tank, refueled, and reset the code, and drove it a week without issues. Then two days ago the CEL popped back on and the same codes popped up. Except this time the car was idling from 500 rpms and would bounce to 200 rpms, and on occasions would stall out. Yesterday, I took it out again, except this time the car struggles to stay alive (chugging horribly, low rpms when driving, stalling out almost every stop), it is also shifting terribly (very jerky), the service stabilitrak also comes on and off, and the check engine light will blink on occasions. To make matter worse, when I popped the hood there is a knocking noise.

Your insights and knowledge are always appreciated
Thanks
skulka222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
skulka222

Old 06-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
That almost sounds like a rod knock . Hope I'm wrong . I'd do an oil change and check for metal . Check and see if you can bring it in under warranty .
Old 06-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Man that doesn't sound good, maybe pull the mass air flow and check/clean it for the codes and look for any way extra air is getting in after the maf.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
That almost sounds like a rod knock . Hope I'm wrong . I'd do an oil change and check for metal . Check and see if you can bring it in under warranty .
There is absolutely NO warranty on the engine after being boosted by a pair of turbos.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
jcharrier

Drives: 2013 2lt rs
Bro I'm running this kit I would stop driving it now and find out the issue mine did the same thing for a few months I had told the shop about it when I went to get a boost controller on and they didn't seem to think it was vital when they scanned when I brought it to another shop , they said imy 3rd cylinder was misfiring after I got it about 2 months ago I had 3 cylinders fail out had to replace the engine it would idle from roughly 550 then do as you say drop low then kill or come back up. It was only aince here and there at first but then the stalling increased making the car very unsafe I weas experiencing both of those codes aswell before the engine went the p0171 one was showing after I installed my vitesse controller before I even had the kit though and was putting me in limp mode . Somthing I would check is the sparkplug gaping the shop that did my install didn't follow instructions on that part so it can't burn off all the gas that is released in some cases they said vehicles wouldn't even start at all, I believe they said the correct gap is 2200. Hope you the best , park it to be safe would hate for the same to happen to you. The first shop I had it in before I brought it to a dealership seemed to thing it was acting like it had sucked something up and blew a whole through the piston aswell
jcharrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
skulka222

Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Man that doesn't sound good, maybe pull the mass air flow and check/clean it for the codes and look for any way extra air is getting in after the maf.
Already pulled, she's clean as it gets
Old 06-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Try new plugs- NGK LTR7IX-11 gapped to .032 or Denso Iridium plug: 5340 = ITV22
.031" (0.8mm) Gap out of the box.
18K miles is all you're gonna get from a set with twin turbo's.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Hmm.. Yeah plugs would prob be a good idea gapped to .026-.028 but I don't think that's causing your knock noise. That doesn't sound good, good thing used motors are so cheap. I've only put 2500 miles on my kit but I'd be happy if my motor makes it as long as yours. I run this thing hard. What oil have you been using and how often do you change it? Brian told me to use Rotella 5w40 and to change it at least every 2,000 miles.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
skulka222

Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Hmm.. Yeah plugs would prob be a good idea gapped to .026-.028 but I don't think that's causing your knock noise. That doesn't sound good, good thing used motors are so cheap. I've only put 2500 miles on my kit but I'd be happy if my motor makes it as long as yours. I run this thing hard. What oil have you been using and how often do you change it? Brian told me to use Rotella 5w40 and to change it at least every 2,000 miles.
If the motors blown (which I am crossing my fingers that it isn't) then a Camaro (or any product of GM) will never be purchased by myself again
Old 06-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
skulka222

Okay so a quick update tomorrow I will be doing an oil change, a spark plug change, and also will be using oil injector cleaner, and oil treatment. I turned the car on again recently and there was no knocking, and I ran the scanner and the P0300 (random misfire) came up. I'll keep you guys updated, and again thanks for the insights
Old 06-22-2015, 02:22 AM   #12
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulka222 View Post
If the motors blown (which I am crossing my fingers that it isn't) then a Camaro (or any product of GM) will never be purchased by myself again
Why? How is this GMs fault, you're the one who chose to turbo the car

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:34 AM   #13
thunderkyss

Drives: 2015 Red Hot SS/RS M6
Run a magnet through that oil when you get it out of the car. Cut your oil filter open too.

If you see metal shavings, it's bad. If you don't, do a dance.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #14
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Check oil level every 1k miles or less? What is the level before you drain for the change?

You do not want to run these low on oil...if the pick up sucks air even briefly the tensioners lose tension and it can jump timing easily. Not to mention take out bearings in short order.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote