Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #141
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawno72 View Post
Ok honest opinion, I don't track my car but I sure have some fun in the mountains carving around about once a month. Are inserts enough or should I just go ahead and replace the whole bushing?
I never recommend inserts. They are just a band-aid and usually squeak.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #142
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
I never recommend inserts. They are just a band-aid and usually squeak.
Ok. Makes sense, thank you
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #143
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawno72 View Post
Ok. Makes sense, thank you
No problem.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #144
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
APEX is spot on - although a pain to do, it should be worth it.

REAR CRADLE SUB FRAME BUSHINGS - these can be removed using the 1” Socket and Torch method. Put a hydraulic jack under the Diff. I also used (4) Jack Stands for safety. Remove one 24mm Sub-Frame bolt, screw it back in 1/2" and repeat on the remaining three. Remove two sub-frame bolts on either the driver or passenger side. Lower the jack under the differential just enough to place a 1" socket in between the top of the sub-frame bush ferule. Use the second floor jack to lift the corner of the sub-frame with the socket. Add pressure once you are sure the socket is secure between the top of the bushing ferule and the 'frame' rail. Start with the Left Front. When you start to lift the car off the jack stand or Hoist/QuickJack, heat the metal that surrounds the sub-frame bushing. Keep heating until the bushing falls on the floor. Repeat on the Left Rear, you have to heat the hell out of it as it is a larger bushing. Clean the inside of the Bushing Housings in the Frame with a drill and wire wheel. Pop off the Bottom Bushing Metal Caps with a Pry Bar or Socket and extension. Install your new Bushings, I made a tool, ref the pics. Note – it is very unlikely that you can use the Vehicle’s weight or Cradle Bolts to seat the Rear Bushings, it will strip them. Use the lube supplied with the Bushings! Screw in the Cradle Bolts at least ½”. Repeat on the other side. Carefully cinch the Cradle up ensuring the Rear Dowel’s are aligned and the Cradle is seated, and Torque the (4) 21mm Bolts to 130 Ft Lbs. These are TTY, you should buy new!

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #145
hesster

The rest of the stuff -
Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #146
Shawno72

Coilovers?
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Old 03-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #147
hesster

Old 03-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #148
Shawno72

Nice^^^
Old 03-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #149
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
APEX is spot on - although a pain to do, it should be worth it.

REAR CRADLE SUB FRAME BUSHINGS - these can be removed using the 1” Socket and Torch method. Put a hydraulic jack under the Diff. I also used (4) Jack Stands for safety. Remove one 24mm Sub-Frame bolt, screw it back in 1/2" and repeat on the remaining three. Remove two sub-frame bolts on either the driver or passenger side. Lower the jack under the differential just enough to place a 1" socket in between the top of the sub-frame bush ferule. Use the second floor jack to lift the corner of the sub-frame with the socket. Add pressure once you are sure the socket is secure between the top of the bushing ferule and the 'frame' rail. Start with the Left Front. When you start to lift the car off the jack stand or Hoist/QuickJack, heat the metal that surrounds the sub-frame bushing. Keep heating until the bushing falls on the floor. Repeat on the Left Rear, you have to heat the hell out of it as it is a larger bushing. Clean the inside of the Bushing Housings in the Frame with a drill and wire wheel. Pop off the Bottom Bushing Metal Caps with a Pry Bar or Socket and extension. Install your new Bushings, I made a tool, ref the pics. Note – it is very unlikely that you can use the Vehicle’s weight or Cradle Bolts to seat the Rear Bushings, it will strip them. Use the lube supplied with the Bushings! Screw in the Cradle Bolts at least ½”. Repeat on the other side. Carefully cinch the Cradle up ensuring the Rear Dowel’s are aligned and the Cradle is seated, and Torque the (4) 21mm Bolts to 130 Ft Lbs. These are TTY, you should buy new!

Great post! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #150
hesster

Won't get into the debate on replacing TTY Bolts, but it is a small cost of my total Suspension Upgrades, and peace of mind. Sorted out where everything went, and added some pics of the difference in the Rear Toe Rod, LCA, and Trailing Arms. And if you wonder why you may have wheel hop, jut look at the difference of the Rear UCA Stock Bushing versus the BMR Delrin one!

Old 03-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #151
Shawno72

I am about ready to install my BMR adjustable toe links, trailing arms with outer bushings, diff bushings and cradle bushings. Made a tool for
to remove the outer trailing arm bushings.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #152
kmdracer

Drives: 2015 black 1SS 1LE
Pondering BMR bushings for my 1LE. Pros, cons? How is the day to day ride affected? Do poly bushings last?
Old 03-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #153
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdracer View Post
Pondering BMR bushings for my 1LE. Pros, cons? How is the day to day ride affected? Do poly bushings last?
Pros and cons depend on exactly which bushings you are talking about. When done right you can expect to improve stability, handling, traction, steering precision and feedback, etc with very little impact on ride quality. Poly bushings do last. If you want to discuss it in detail feel free to send me a PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #154
kmdracer

Drives: 2015 black 1SS 1LE
Thanks. Will do.

Tags
60 foot, apex motorsports, drag racing, traction, wheel hop