Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-24-2016, 08:28 AM   #15
Torquemonster

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by avido View Post
i have 3.91 on my car but if I had known before i would have bought the 4.11

I decided later to do forced so i think with a shorter rear end the car is more fun. this car stock has way too long gear ration. Is your car automatic or manual?

Manual
VMax ported throttle body
Torquemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #16
Torquemonster

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Ok so next question.

I found a local dealer who is willing to do the install, but he was telling me that they're not sure if they're going to be able to re program the speedometer and odometer, even though I mentioned to the parts guy that GM gives them an authorization code to re program them.

My question there is, if they "couldn't do it," wouldn't I be able to just take it to another Chevy garage to have them do the re program. I don't want to rack up excessive miles on my car and have my speedometer all messed up from doing the swap.

I know I could do a tune to fix this all, but I'm waiting until my bumper to bumper is up before I do that.
VMax ported throttle body
Torquemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #17
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
I know that GM doesnt have 373 gears for our cars, but there is definitely the aftermarket option. (LPE?)

I'm not concerned about longevity more than enjoyability.

I know 391 will be better for the road course and drag strip, but on the highway it wont be.

I also know 373 will work out for me at the drag strip because right now im shifting at the very end with my 345s.. so I only need a slightly more aggressive gear setup

but yeah there is no warranty for the 373s like the 391s from gm soo
Are you m6 ? I know with the 391s in the A6 with a loud exhaust you can tell on the highway...but with a quiter one you likely wouldnt notice as much. ...right around 2200 at 70 mph.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #18
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
I know that GM doesnt have 373 gears for our cars, but there is definitely the aftermarket option. (LPE?)

I'm not concerned about longevity more than enjoyability.

I know 391 will be better for the road course and drag strip, but on the highway it wont be.

I also know 373 will work out for me at the drag strip because right now im shifting at the very end with my 345s.. so I only need a slightly more aggressive gear setup

but yeah there is no warranty for the 373s like the 391s from gm soo
Not sure if you're M6 but 391's are no problem at all on the highway in my M6. With our tall overdrive it could frankly handle more and still be a relaxed cruiser.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #19
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemonster View Post
Ok so next question.

I found a local dealer who is willing to do the install, but he was telling me that they're not sure if they're going to be able to re program the speedometer and odometer, even though I mentioned to the parts guy that GM gives them an authorization code to re program them.

My question there is, if they "couldn't do it," wouldn't I be able to just take it to another Chevy garage to have them do the re program. I don't want to rack up excessive miles on my car and have my speedometer all messed up from doing the swap.

I know I could do a tune to fix this all, but I'm waiting until my bumper to bumper is up before I do that.
There are instructions to the dealer that come with the gears (assuming you are buying the GM gears, and not aftermarket) that tell them how to calibrate. What part # do you have for the gears? I wouldn't use this dealer if they can't figure this step out. I also wouldn't use them unless they have a tech that has set up gears before.

I believe it should be P/N 19301504. Halfway down the page. http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...s/1le-zl1.html

Last edited by SS376; 06-24-2016 at 11:29 AM.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #20
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
You don't have to swap the whole diff.

GM Kit comes with a recal authorization code that they'll call and get the data to change your speedo and odo.

If GM does the work your warranty is fine. You're going to pay for peace of mind. Doing it yourself is cheaper, but harder and will not be covered unless you find a mod friendly dealer. Having the dealer do it will cost more but no worries on the back end.

American Axle and Machine (AAM) makes the GM gears for the factory and for the kits.

3.91's work perfect for an M6 until you go FI. After that, you may want to go back to the 3.45's. 3.91's make 1st a hard launch and 6th finally usable.

I agree with SS376; ask about a tech who's qualified and has set up gears before. If they have one, chances are he knows how to do the recal also.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #21
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
I wouldn't use this dealer if they can't figure this step out. I also woudn't use them unless they have a tech that has set up gears before.
Agreed, some of the dealers might not want to because they do not have anyone qualified with gears.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #22
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
[QUOTE=Torquemonster;9168725]I figured as much, which is why I thought I would ask you guys! Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm going to call one of the dealers by my work and just send them the link to the part # and the instruction manual for the 3.91 and just simply ask him if they will do it for me or not.

You guys wouldn't believe how incompetent the dealers are around here. Literally received like 4 different answers from 4 different dealers, one told me they can't even do that job and 2 others simply never got back to me. Must be something in the water in the Syracuse area

I had my tuner do the swap. ...what they do is have a few diffs on stock at a performance shop that does race applications. So when I wanted 391s they had the race shop put 391s into a diff. ...when I arrived at my tuners shop they simply swapped out diffs. No noise no trouble when done by a shop that specializes in what you want.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #23
keith.wilkinson.10

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkedOut View Post
1) false. get another dealer. you can swap out just the ring and pin ion.

2) false. get another dealer. ring and pinion kit comes with code required and instructs tech to call a number to get speedo recal instructions.

3) no.

find yourself another dealer and all will be well. you are not looking for any special treatment. simply to purchase and have them install this: http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...t-19329768.pdf
Any idea of an reasonable quote for this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
keith.wilkinson.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #24
LIMA99
Skinny jeans are in ya'll

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS w/ 3.91 gears.
I just went through this a few months ago with my AUTOMATIC 2SS here are my findings:

Quote:
Hey guys. New to the forum here, but not new to reading it lol. I've had my 2014 Camaro 2SS since January and I've been wanting to do the 3.91 gear swap after driving my old mans 2016 mustang GT performance pack with 3.73 gears, and love the feeling of the higher gear ratio. But I've run into a few small problems.

1) a few local dealers have told me that you need to switch out the whole differential to do this swap to 3.91. Highly unlikely but I'm looking for feedback.

False:
they sell the kit at any GM dealership, Any GM certified dealer will install, Parts alone are about 445$ Be prepared to pay $1400 including tax(TX sales tax) that includes labor and parts and oil and ECM update. It comes with 12 month unlimited mileage warranty, then power train warranty takes over after that. If your car was new pre delivery it would be part of the 3 year 36k miles warranty.

2) one dealer told me they could do the swap the gears but could not recalibrate the speedometer. Doesn't the GM kit come with an authorization code to do the recal? How is this possible if that's the case.

False:
Every 3.91 gear set bought from GM will come with a ECM update code that the dealership will use to contact GM and they send the updated file for fuel delivery, shift points, speedo recal. and who knows what else.... GO TO AN CERTIFIED DEALERSHIP OR SHOP...... CERTIFIED IS THE KEY WORD.

3) I know it's been asked a million times but looking for a straight answer. If a GM dealer installs the parts (purchased through the dealer) would this void my warranty?

NO!

I bought the vehicle CPO in January so I have like 4 years left on the warranty and don't really want to void it if possible.

Get the gears break them in as they tell you to and enjoy them. I can tell you its night and day difference in the feel of the torque. Also make sure you change the oil at 500 miles in the rear axle. Its good insurance.
Hope this helps. If you do it yourself you need ninja patience and a press and all the small knowledge that can keep you out of big trouble. I tried it and I am a professional mechanic. If you screw it up the housing alone is 700$. I recommend pay the smaller amount if you shred the gears because you did it yourself it can be upwards of 3000$. Just from my experience. Maybe I got robbed but I got warranty. HA!

Thanks!
LIMA99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #25
LIMA99

Also I did research every side of the install and parts list. I could not beat the dealership price most will work with you if you let them install the kit. All you have to do its ask them.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #26
LIMA99

Quote:
Ok so next question.

I waited about a week before the dealership could schedule the reprogram and I added like 50 extra miles out of 300 it was not much but yes get it done soon. More than the mileage issue is the fuel, timing, shift points and speedo are all out of sync. It does not hurt the car but is not ideal from I was told. Speedo recal. is not the only thing that reprogram does so just understand that. It really wakes the car up. I put Borla axle back exhaust S type as well. I am 1000% sold on this combo:

Strut bar
Axle back perf. exhaust
ZL1 drop in air filter and 3.91

My car is not fast persay but its what I like. When you hit it gets, plain and simple.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #27
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Quote:
I figured as much, which is why I thought I would ask you guys! Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm going to call one of the dealers by my work and just send them the link to the part # and the instruction manual for the 3.91 and just simply ask him if they will do it for me or not.

You guys wouldn't believe how incompetent the dealers are around here. Literally received like 4 different answers from 4 different dealers, one told me they can't even do that job and 2 others simply never got back to me. Must be something in the water in the Syracuse area haha.
Torquemonster;
I know what you mean about the dealers around the Syracuse area,I bought my car in Auburn and that dealer wouldn't return any calls or e-mails to the service dept,East Syracuse & the Central Square dealer also. I finally got the gears installed @ Quality Auto in N.Syr across from Sonic car wash. They did the GM kit and the re-program for the speedo. The GM registered modification sticker is under the hood where it's supposed to be placed. I'm very happy with the work,PM me if you want any more particulars.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #28
LIMA99

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakmaker View Post
Torquemonster;
I know what you mean about the dealers around the Syracuse area,I bought my car in Auburn and that dealer wouldn't return any calls or e-mails to the service dept,East Syracuse & the Central Square dealer also. I finally got the gears installed @ Quality Auto in N.Syr across from Sonic car wash. They did the GM kit and the re-program for the speedo. The GM registered modification sticker is under the hood where it's supposed to be placed. I'm very happy with the work,PM me if you want any more particulars.
Holy crap! I put my sticker in the drivers side door jam. I did not know that. OOPS!

Tags
1le gears, 3.91 gears, chevrolet performance 3.91, gears swap