Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #113
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Why?

The Chevelle has been a full range vehicle with small motors and four door family cars as the core supporting the business case since it was introduced.
I understand that. I think having a V6 model would be smart but Chevy already has 4 door family cars. I don't know about you, when I think of the Chevelle, I think of the SS big block models, not the 4 door V6. If the Chevelle comes back, it would probably be bigger and heavier than the Camaro. Putting the same engines in the bigger, heavier Chevelle would, in my opinion, be a mistake. Also, the Chevelle was available with the 454 same as the Vette.

It's just my opinion and yours may be different. That's why I join boards like this, to voice my opinion and read others.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #114
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The G8 GXP with a LS2 carried a curb weight of 3969.

It is interesting to watch how people react to new cars with classic name plates. The ZL1 should have been a Z28. Nope. The Z28 was an affordable Camaro. The SS should be the top performing Camaro. And each group has good information to make their case.

I have three daughters and a wife and look forward to getting my hands on a SS as soon as they become available. Call it an SS, a Chevelle, or X200. It doesn't matter. I am a buyer.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #115
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:

It is interesting to watch how people react to new cars with classic name plates. The ZL1 should have been a Z28. Nope. The Z28 was an affordable Camaro. The SS should be the top performing Camaro. And each group has good information to make their case.

I have three daughters and a wife and look forward to getting my hands on a SS as soon as they become available. Call it an SS, a Chevelle, or X200. It doesn't matter. I am a buyer.
LS3
Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #116
Bhobbs

Quote:

I don't think we will see a Gen 5 Z28. There is no price slot between the 2SS/1LE and the ZL1.

I think making the SS sedan a Chevelle would be a mistake. I know there were four dour Chevelles but taking some foreign car, slapping the Chevelle name on it and charging a premium would be a disaster.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #117
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Chevelle?

I for one, am glad they didn't use the Chevelle name... basically because I don't know what it is.

Stay with me...

Of course I know that the 'Chevelle' name was used on Chevrolet cars... beyond that, I really don't know much about it. I've _heard_ it was a performance car from Chevrolet's past, but I don't know the size, horsepower, or performance.

Production started almost 50 years ago, and as a result, its just too far removed from modern car-guy-stuff to be relevant.

(FYI, I'm 34, so it ended production the year I was born).

Of course 'Chevelle' has a lot of history, but they also know that most young people really don't know anything about it.

I think 'SS' is a good name, and 'SuperSport' is an excellent name.

Personally, I have a wife and kids, so this is my Camaro. I'll be lining up with the other fathers on here to buy one!

I'm also hoping that they offer the LS3 with a manual and a nice interior. And I want mine in Imperial Blue with anthracite wheels please.

~LSx

P.S. - the SS badge already exists on the HSV Commodore, so they saved some money on badges.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #118
Bhobbs

I think bringing back the Chevelle could be tricky. It's been gone for so long and the last few years really didn't live up to the name.

I'm 22 and restoring a 1970 Chevelle. A guy that lives up the street from me is a little younger and he drives a 70. It may not be as well known as the Camaro but it is well known. How long was the Challenger out of production?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #119
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
I for one, am glad they didn't use the Chevelle name... basically because I don't know what it is.

Stay with me...

Of course I know that the 'Chevelle' name was used on Chevrolet cars... beyond that, I really don't know much about it. I've _heard_ it was a performance car from Chevrolet's past, but I don't know the size, horsepower, or performance.

Production started almost 50 years ago, and as a result, its just too far removed from modern car-guy-stuff to be relevant.

(FYI, I'm 34, so it ended production the year I was born).

Of course 'Chevelle' has a lot of history, but they also know that most young people really don't know anything about it.

I think 'SS' is a good name, and 'SuperSport' is an excellent name.

Personally, I have a wife and kids, so this is my Camaro. I'll be lining up with the other fathers on here to buy one!

I'm also hoping that they offer the LS3 with a manual and a nice interior. And I want mine in Imperial Blue with anthracite wheels please.

~LSx

P.S. - the SS badge already exists on the HSV Commodore, so they saved some money on badges.
I couldn't disagree with you more on the Chevelle nameplate not being for modern car guys.

GM recently held a 'showdown,' if you will, to find out what the public thought was the greatest GM vehicle of all time.

Due to the popularity with young people that are the primary users of the internet, it didn't surprise me that the 5th Gen Camaro won first place.

2nd place? The 1970 Chevelle 454SS.

I know this is a Camaro forum, so plenty of people will probably disagree with me, but the 1970 Chevelle is hands down the most bad ass looking car GM ever created. I don't mean sleek and fast looking, I don't mean gorgeous flowing lines and a sense of speed. I mean "If you saw it in a dark alley you would turn the other way and hope it doesn't beat the shit out of you, steal your wallet and then take your girlfriend out to dinner with the money it gets out of your wallet. Then have sex with her and never call her back."

I don't think a rebadged G8 is the avenue for a car like that, but I think that if GM wanted to pull another retro vehicle out of the design studio, the Chevelle should be their first choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #120
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Badging a Commodore as a Chevelle would go over about as well as badging a Monaro as a GTO went ... poorly.

Right or wrong ... people expect certain things from a Chevelle, and for the most part they'd be disapointed with a rebadged Holden. If they were to bring back to North America, I'd go with 'Lumina' before Chevelle. Not only is it already called a Lumina in the Middle East, but it also has history with Nascar, and few expectations from the public. Seems ideal to me, but I guess GM saw things differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don't think we will see a Gen 5 Z28. There is no price slot between the 2SS/1LE and the ZL1.

I think making the SS sedan a Chevelle would be a mistake. I know there were four dour Chevelles but taking some foreign car, slapping the Chevelle name on it and charging a premium would be a disaster.
the 1LE is supposed to come in under 40k, the ZL1 starts at 55k. So a Z28 at 47k fits quite nicely.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #121
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Badging a Commodore as a Chevelle would go over about as well as badging a Monaro as a GTO went ... poorly.

Right or wrong ... people expect certain things from a Chevelle, and for the most part they'd be disapointed with a rebadged Holden. If they were to bring back to North America, I'd go with 'Lumina' before Chevelle. Not only is it already called a Lumina in the Middle East, but it also has history with Nascar, and few expectations from the public. Seems ideal to me, but I guess GM saw things differently.

the 1LE is supposed to come in under 40k, the ZL1 starts at 55k. So a Z28 at 47k fits quite nicely.
I agree with what you said about the Chevelle.

I thought the sub $40K 1LE was for the 1SS version?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #122
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I agree with what you said about the Chevelle.

I thought the sub $40K 1LE was for the 1SS version?
I think thats what they said. Which could mean $39,995 or it could mean $36,550 -either way the 2SS/1LE would be above 40k. And then there are options and so on and so forth. Point is ... there is space in the mid to upper 40s as starting price for a 5th gen Z28.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #123
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I think thats what they said. Which could mean $39,995 or it could mean $36,550 -either way the 2SS/1LE would be above 40k. And then there are options and so on and so forth. Point is ... there is space in the mid to upper 40s as starting price for a 5th gen Z28.
That's true. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I would love to see a Chevelle, if they would do it right.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #124
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more on the Chevelle nameplate not being for modern car guys.

GM recently held a 'showdown,' if you will, to find out what the public thought was the greatest GM vehicle of all time.

Due to the popularity with young people that are the primary users of the internet, it didn't surprise me that the 5th Gen Camaro won first place.

2nd place? The 1970 Chevelle 454SS.

I know this is a Camaro forum, so plenty of people will probably disagree with me, but the 1970 Chevelle is hands down the most bad ass looking car GM ever created. I don't mean sleek and fast looking, I don't mean gorgeous flowing lines and a sense of speed. I mean "If you saw it in a dark alley you would turn the other way and hope it doesn't beat the shit out of you, steal your wallet and then take your girlfriend out to dinner with the money it gets out of your wallet. Then have sex with her and never call her back."

I don't think a rebadged G8 is the avenue for a car like that, but I think that if GM wanted to pull another retro vehicle out of the design studio, the Chevelle should be their first choice.
Agreed. TOTALLY BADAZZ CAR.

It's also a 2-door (SS is a four door), which, again, I didn't know until you posted a picture.

Am I an idiot? Maybe. But I'm the target market for this car, and I like the SuperSport name, and I'll be happy to buy one.

The King is Dead. Long live the King.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #125
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
Agreed. TOTALLY BADAZZ CAR.

It's also a 2-door (SS is a four door), which, again, I didn't know until you posted a picture.

Am I an idiot? Maybe. But I'm the target market for this car, and I like the SuperSport name, and I'll be happy to buy one.

The King is Dead. Long live the King.
You aren't the target market for this car but I know there are plenty of people out there that would love to own an updated Chevelle, me included. It would go nicely with my 70 Chevelle I'm currently restoring.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #126
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The re-badged Monaro as a GTO was a success in many ways. Pontiac was a damaged brand when the GTO hit the showroom floor. Even with the G8 and Solstice the Pontiac channel could not move metal. No matter how hard Mr. Lutz tried to save Pontiac, there was not enough time or money to do so in retrospect. Had the G8 been sold through the Chevrolet channel along with the Solstice, there would be many tens of thousands more on the road in the USA. They were great cars in the wrong channel.

My good friend the late John Sawruk was the Pontiac historian and the keeper of the GTO flame. John worked closely with the USA and AU GTO TEAM to make sure the 2004 GTO was a real GTO. John was a keynote speaker at the GTOAAs for years before the new GTO project was started. John made certain the 04 GTO had ram air. It produced a 5 HP gain at 60 miles an hour. There was no 'hole in the roof' because real performance cars don't have holes in the roof. Handling, braking, 0 to 60, 1/4 mile, etc... were all superior to the best of the best classic GTO. John would spend hours explaining to classic GTO owners that the 04 - on GTO was a real GTO. People have tend to forget how a GTO or other fondly remembered cars were built back in the day. The first GTO was a Tempest and the original build TEAM raided the parts bin to create an option code for the legendary GTO. No one would ever call the original 1964 GTO a badge engineered vehicle. Why do they call the 04 - on GTO badge engineered?

When GM decided to build a RWD platform for use world wide the project was assigned to Holden. The name -- GLOBAL RWD Architecture. The VE chassis was designed for global use. The monocoque was engineered to pass crash tests world wide with minimal modifications. Building a Chevrolet SS sedan from the updated Global RWD Architecture is exactly what GM should be doing and the only way they will remain in business, let alone deliver brilliant vehicles like the Pontiac GXP and the 5th Gen Camaro.

The upcoming Chevrolet SS will be built on the VF platform, an evolution of the VE / ZETA / ZETA II chassis. It will be lighter. It will be engineered to pass global crash standards with minimal modification. The monocoque will be shared with the base model as sold in AU to the highest performance level SS. Expect to see different fenders, hoods and fascias on the performance models. The technology choices will be interesting. Could it be powered by the same Gen V 5.5 that will debut in the C7 Vette? There are rumors the SS will be a very low volume vehicle. Could that mean a Camaro ZL1 tuned LSA? What about MRC which has been on the high performance Commodores for a long time. Will the SS get the ZL1 two wire state-of-the-art MRC? Is there a market for a Chevrolet SS with ZL1 guts at $55K, 10K less than a Cadillac?

All I can say is Chevy has not disappointed with the 5th Gen and I expect the SS will be a gotta have one vehicle.

http://www.peddersusa.com/PS_images/assets/G8-story.pdf

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote