Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
vtelvr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Need non-RS HID kit recommendations...

The previous owner of my Camaro added aftermarket HID head/fog lamp kits. Noticed this morning that the passenger bulb was broken(Lock ring/tabs), and just barely hanging in place. I removed ALL of the head HID kit, and returned to stock bulbs for now. I want to get a QUALITY kit for both the head and fog lights. Please let me know what is available, and somewhat affordable. Thanks!
vtelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
theretrofitsource.com has some great hid kits. I believe they also come with a two year warranty. They are about 150, I don't know if that's too much or not. I believe ddm tuning has some good ones too. I've never tried ddm so I can't tell u about quality but theretrofitsource kits are good

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Go the the retrofit source and do a retrofit. If your just installing bulbs you have a cheap kit. You need to do a retrofit to have a quality hid kit.

Don't even look at DDM tuning. Cheap Chinese crap.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
vtelvr

C586, what is wrong with the DDM? Also, does anyone know about the Xentec on Ebay?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
my first choice is the retrofit source. Good product and excellent customer service. If you want something cheap then get DDM just don't expect to get the parts covered under warranty. Its impossible to contact them.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
vtelvr

My fear with the retrofit is that I need to bake open my housings...that just doesn't set well with me...Although I know some have done it. Really looking for an option that doesn't require that if at all possible. I also don't want to be "that guy" that blinds oncoming traffic either.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
vtelvr

I have found a website that I think I may be using, as I have a couple friends that have used them, and no problems.

However, I see with some research that I should not have HID's in my fog lamps. There is a HID kit in there now, but I have not had any problems with them so far. I saw the multiple LED lights that some vendors are offering...I think AAC has the one I saw. I think I want to go back with a 6000k or 8000K headlamp...which one would closest match the LED light that is available??
Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
lscamaro

What color is the LED?

Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
vtelvr

Apparently, they are available in a super white and possibly a yellow-ish. Not interested in the yellow though.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
lscamaro

Well if you want to match the super white led then a 5000k hid would match closely. You'll never match it perfectly but 5000k is super white with just a slight hint of blue. 6000k is more blue and 8000k is pretty much all blue.

If you want to buy just the hid kit, do it. If you feel a retrofit is better then do that. I did my own retrofit. It works really well and looks amazing. While I opened the headlights I also added rgb halos from aac so I really like it. I have a 5000k kit btw

Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
chalhoee

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS/RS
Encountered same problem as you not wanting to open up my housings I have 2 kits for sale if you are interested. And some oracle halos too for the fog lights all brand new. what you can do though is get some NON-RS fog light housing and lenses then switch them out with yours and any 5202 bulb size HID kit should fit plug and play now I don't know how much the housing and all that is but to me it's the best way to put HID fog lights on a Camaro with factory HID headlamps with out messing with opening up the housing PM me if you would like to negotiate on the kits I have
chalhoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
My fear with the retrofit is that I need to bake open my housings...that just doesn't set well with me...Although I know some have done it. Really looking for an option that doesn't require that if at all possible. I also don't want to be "that guy" that blinds oncoming traffic either.
My 19 yr old sister retrofitted her cobalt. It's not a big deal. If you don't want to do a retrofit you can't have HIDs on your car. You will be that guy. And DDM is junk. No customer service at all. And it's Chinese junk.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Go the the retrofit source and do a retrofit. If your just installing bulbs you have a cheap kit. You need to do a retrofit to have a quality hid kit.

Don't even look at DDM tuning. Cheap Chinese crap.
This is wrong.

We have 6000k and led fogs from AAC.... they are very close match.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
This is wrong.

We have 6000k and led fogs from AAC.... they are very close match.
Did you quote the wrong post because the one you did quote is correct. Hid bulbs in a halogen housing is not the correct way to do it at all.
sene is offline   Reply With Quote