Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Heater Electric Motor

Hi, I know I'm a frequent user and that I should do a search, but I really, really don't have the time to do that today...
This morning I drove my car and the Heater Fan worked OK eventhough it had a strange sound. After stopping the engine, when I strated the car again, the fan would'nt work at all. After about 10 minutes I tried it agan and it worked, but the motor did'nt sound as usual.

Is there a TSB on that problem....? and if not, I know a few mambers had some issues in the last 2 years. If not covered by warrenty, any idea how much it costed to repair or replace the moter?

Thanks for your cooperation!

Robert
Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Seeing as how you described the problem as being strictly from the blower motor (noise and cutting in and out of the motor), I'm going to take your word on it and tell you that your blower motor is on its way out. The blower motor on these cars is a PITA (Pain In The Ass) to change. The factory blower is molded into the HVAC unit inside/behind the dash. I have changed 4 blower motors to date, nothing hard, just a shitty design. I removed the glove box to give myself more room, can't remember if I remove anything else to give myself more room to change it. You have to cut out the old molded blower motor (I use an air hacksaw, but you have to be really careful, if you cut it to big, your screwed, the new blower wont fit or seal properly) from HVAC unit and install the new blower with the supplied hardware and seal. It's not a big job, I just don't like cutting parts out of vehicles, but to make you feel better, the Camaro is not the only car GM makes that is like that.

There is no TSB on this, its simply just a failing part. People have to understand that just because you have an issue with your car, doesn't necessarily mean that there's a TSB on it. I guess your the lucky OP that I get to pick on today LOL . Seems like every time I start reading a thread inside this section of the forum, they all start by describing the issue with their car and then asking for a possible TSB regarding the issue. I know you and people just want to know for the sake of knowing, I don't blame you, but I just checked and I didn't find anything pertinent regarding your issue.

On the course I just went too, the instructor explained to us that the process starts off as GM noticing that they are having to change this exact part many times for warranty jobs, therefore they put out something called a PI, which aids the tech in possibly diagnosing a common problem and replacing the part that is failing constantly but is not spreading like wildfire just yet. If they still notice an increase in this problem, then they release a TSB, none of this is actually seen by any customer unless its posted online somewhere for people to see. If it still keeps getting worst, they can issue a campaign (recall) but usually campaigns are safety related concerns, but if its a serious issue, they will TRY to address it.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
montreal2010yellow

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
Seeing as how you described the problem as being strictly from the blower motor (noise and cutting in and out of the motor), I'm going to take your word on it and tell you that your blower motor is on its way out. The blower motor on these cars is a PITA (Pain In The Ass) to change. The factory blower is molded into the HVAC unit inside/behind the dash. I have changed 4 blower motors to date, nothing hard, just a shitty design. I removed the glove box to give myself more room, can't remember if I remove anything else to give myself more room to change it. You have to cut out the old molded blower motor (I use an air hacksaw, but you have to be really careful, if you cut it to big, your screwed, the new blower wont fit or seal properly) from HVAC unit and install the new blower with the supplied hardware and seal. It's not a big job, I just don't like cutting parts out of vehicles, but to make you feel better, the Camaro is not the only car GM makes that is like that.
Thanks for the infos.
There is no TSB on this, its simply just a failing part. People have to understand that just because you have an issue with your car, doesn't necessarily mean that there's a TSB on it. I guess your the lucky OP that I get to pick on today LOL . Seems like every time I start reading a thread inside this section of the forum, they all start by describing the issue with their car and then asking for a possible TSB regarding the issue. I know you and people just want to know for the sake of knowing, I don't blame you, but I just checked and I didn't find anything pertinent regarding your issue.

On the course I just went too, the instructor explained to us that the process starts off as GM noticing that they are having to change this exact part many times for warranty jobs, therefore they put out something called a PI, which aids the tech in possibly diagnosing a common problem and replacing the part that is failing constantly but is not spreading like wildfire just yet. If they still notice an increase in this problem, then they release a TSB, none of this is actually seen by any customer unless its posted online somewhere for people to see. If it still keeps getting worst, they can issue a campaign (recall) but usually campaigns are safety related concerns, but if its a serious issue, they will TRY to address it.
The sound I get a low speed seems like a piece of paper in the fan and I higher speed I get a Hum that I did'nt have before.
Looks like you from Ottawa, I live in Laval, I wonder if I should go to your garage to get the motor changed since you've got some experience.
What do you think, I would need you dealer name and phone number and yours to make shure you'll be working on it.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I am only in Ottawa right now for training, sorry!! I am away from work and my dealer for another 3 weeks.

I live approx. 8 hrs north of Ottawa, which basically tosses your idea out the door LOL. Unless your willing to drive 8 hrs to get it fixed

I replaced the blower motor in my car when I made that noise. At first it would come and go, so I never bothered with it since I really didn't want to cut anything out, but it got substantially worst and then basically was cutting in and out like yours and making all sorts of noises, so I replaced it when I did the heater core. It was much easier with the HVAC box already out of the car, basically killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
montreal2010yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
I am only in Ottawa right now for training, sorry!! I am away from work and my dealer for another 3 weeks.

I live approx. 8 hrs north of Ottawa, which basically tosses your idea out the door LOL. Unless your willing to drive 8 hrs to get it fixed

I replaced the blower motor in my car when I made that noise. At first it would come and go, so I never bothered with it since I really didn't want to cut anything out, but it got substantially worst and then basically was cutting in and out like yours and making all sorts of noises, so I replaced it when I did the heater core. It was much easier with the HVAC box already out of the car, basically killed 2 birds with 1 stone.
Thanks again Eric, no I won't drive 10 hours to save 10$...There is a dealer here in Laval that I've been doing business for more than 20 years and they have a very good repuration as for Camaro's. So it looks like I'll go there.
Good luck with your training.

Robert.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
montreal2010yellow

Finaly I got the fan changed at my dealer. 299,34$ tax in. (CDN$)