Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #267
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Was the CAI tube designed like that or just how you fab’d it?
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #268
Drillteamleader

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Just how i fabbed it
Drillteamleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #269
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Man, you can't take anything away from the cool factor of that thing - wow! Can't wait to see what it's like when you're finished - you're gonna wanna just leave the hood right off the car.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #270
Dylan1214

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillteamleader View Post
Its big!!!
Wouldn't the side closest to the filter draw more air than the other side? Very curious as to how this works
Dylan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #271
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Curious..... that killed the cat...fellow is going to have trouble with his MAF IMO ;as the flow has to be metered to two TB and he's thinking the one MAF off of the one tube is where his readings will come and he's going to have to have it probably optimally placed where it was with one tube IMO ...but in experience; just a little leak around the seal to the MAF and your throwing a code, loose connection to TB and a code, now totally alter the AFR with massive air coming in having to dump more fuel to stay up..well it has to be worked out on the computer messing with AFR..... and keeping one side richer one side leaner to alter things to match hopefully to make it right AFR for both sides and adjusting it for throttle...Just a lot to think about and why people do not just Fab up their own stuff IMO..... Would be better suited to two intake tube two MAF…..

and yes one side would get the fresher air intake and want to run stronger one side leaner...not good.... But hey that's what experimenting is about, hacking at stuff, blowing stuff up, cracking stuff, altering things over and over and giving up, or going a different way.... sure one side closer to the intake should make up air intake easier, how they run single turbos is kind of like this …… but usually they split at a equidistant to go to twin throttle bodies....its kind of a thread to watch and learn or not and entertain IMO....

My solution to his predicament would be to use a prefabbed two tube type intake for twin turbos and twin MAF rather than a two off of one tube when the opposite is more true for other builds with two tubes coming off of one TB more common...…. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...t+up&FORM=IGRE

Now there is actually a kit from GM to make a intake tube with the kit saying you have to have this amount of straight tube to get the MAF to function right and it basically looks like well heres alink...it looks like a standard intake tube with a coupler at the bend....
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...and-components

The Edelbrock cross ram...on their site its not available, oh wait heres one with it for sale...….IMO made mostly for show; takes not being symmetrical a pair of tubes they don't sell to fit up to the twin TB....or two tubes...with two MAF.... and find a pic of one installed...good luck there......2015 it was new at SEMA someone somewhere installed one but not in a Camaro I have seen on here.... http://www.superchevy.com/events/151...rom-sema-2015/ says its made more with FI in mind..as in twins as why the high flow with out the need/push from twin TB.... heres videos of twin tb….set ups running.....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2&&FORM=VRDGAR

the thing is years ago I was waiting for this intake due to torque...LOL https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B&&FORM=VDRVRV The deal is it was to come with adjustable torque tubes for the runners and was better than sliced bread....and would kick the FAST to the curb..... amazing how hard it was to never get the patent everyone needs so no one copies it...…….. then to never speak of it again from Vararam and give its designation to a friggin intake tube...… Yup things I followed on here over the years, big Disappointment….just larger than the MSD airforce not making one for the ls3.....

Frankly now I am waiting for the LOD intake on a stroker with GPI heads if the Smallbore ls7 heads fit the LOD intake? Thought they would make a ls7 version of the LOD...?

And someday someone will do one of these as they actually thought of the Camaro when designing these....https://www.enginelabs.com/news/vide...ody-in-action/ However I just don't see this hog fitting the firewall...…..?

Last edited by christianchevell; 11-19-2018 at 11:28 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #272
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Curious..... that killed the cat...fellow is going to have trouble with his MAF IMO ;as the flow has to be metered to two TB and he's thinking the one MAF off of the one tube is where his readings will come and he's going to have to have it probably optimally placed where it was with one tube IMO ...but in experience; just a little leak around the seal to the MAF and your throwing a code, loose connection to TB and a code, now totally alter the AFR with massive air coming in having to dump more fuel to stay up..well it has to be worked out on the computer messing with AFR..... and keeping one side richer one side leaner to alter things to match hopefully to make it right AFR for both sides and adjusting it for throttle...Just a lot to think about and why people do not just Fab up their own stuff IMO..... Would be better suited to two intake tube two MAF…..

and yes one side would get the fresher air intake and want to run stronger one side leaner...not good.... But hey that's what experimenting is about, hacking at stuff, blowing stuff up, cracking stuff, altering things over and over and giving up, or going a different way.... sure one side closer to the intake should make up air intake easier, how they run single turbos is kind of like this …… but usually they split at a equidistant to go to twin throttle bodies....its kind of a thread to watch and learn or not and entertain IMO....
I'd just run a CAI on each side to each fender, and just run speed density. Eliminate that MAF question all together, and keep the intake paths as similar as possible
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #273
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yup just two tubes...looks better and ditch the stupid CAI enclosure, seen pics of it on lots of engines...… not particularly ls engines though.... Its having the opening and closing of those twin throttle bodies I would refer to the Nelson guys on what they did for those.....
Old 11-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #274
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
I would do a "Y" shaped OTR style intake for it. Try and keep the airflow as even as possible to each side, and just run the MAF in the single tube part of it right before the split.

Curious to see how this one turns out for sure!
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #275
lazerlemonta

Drives: 2010 C6 1LT
Speed density 100% two separate tubes to a hell a ram air set up or use 6" tubing wyed to 4.5". Most definitely will want ram air!

Best ET 10.58 @ 131.8 stock heads and stock cam 453/445 SAE
10.62@134.82 GPI 281CC Heads, SS4 Cam and X1 Intake
Best 1/8 6.80@105.75
Best MPH 134.82
lazerlemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #276
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerlemonta View Post
Speed density 100% two separate tubes to a hell a ram air set up or use 6" tubing wyed to 4.5". Most definitely will want ram air!
What about the LOD??? No dyno results yet?
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #277
lazerlemonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
What about the LOD??? No dyno results yet?
Just got dyno time scheduled for 12/1 brother.

Best 1/8 6.80@105.75
Best MPH 134.82
Old 12-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #278
13SSCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Just got dyno time scheduled for 12/1 brother.
I'm dying for the update
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, ID850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85, Mantic 9000 and 1LE 3.91 diff 512rwhp/462rwtq
13SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #279
lazerlemonta

Update is my dyno guy canceled on me Friday :( I am really trying to get this done as I want to install this dang cam!

Best 1/8 6.80@105.75
Best MPH 134.82
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #280
Beefsquatch

Drives: 2010 LS3 camaro
Quote:
Update is my dyno guy canceled on me Friday :( I am really trying to get this done as I want to install this dang cam!
We're counting on you lazer!! (no pressure lol) I didnt buy the intake with the black friday deal because i wana see the your results